1995 SL1

Old April 20th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Pat[_7_]

Default 1995 SL1

Hello everyone,

I drive an automatic 1995 SL1 with about 175,000 miles. Recently I've
started to hear a "fluttering" noise (something mechanical spinning/winding
down) immediately after starting my car. The noise lasts no more than two
seconds and stops before I even put the car into gear. From the drivers
seat, the noise appears to be coming from in front of me, as opposed to a
faulty belt tensioner whose noise was clearly from the other side of the
engine. When starting the car I don't need to crank it any longer nor does
it need any extra gas. It starts right up just like it did on day one
except for that sound. No SES light either.

The oil has been changed within the last 1000 miles but I don't believe the
two are related. Back in 2003, however, my local Saturn dealer told me that
I should have my ignition coil replaced. I still have not had that done.
Could that be the source of the noise? A rattling exhaust pipe has also
been suggested but I don't think that would make the kind of noise I hear.

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Pat

Old April 20th 09, 10:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Scott

Pat, my money is on the starter/solenoid starting to fail.
I did a starter on my '95 SW1 a few years back at 160,000 mi.

If it is the original unit then it is only a matter of time. If it
does fail and leave you stranded before you get a chance to replace
it, give it a good whack with a hammer (which you should now start
carrying) and it will give you that last drive to the repair shop or
home.

Scott

On Apr 19, 4:21*pm, "Pat" > wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I drive an automatic 1995 SL1 with about 175,000 miles. *Recently I've
> started to hear a "fluttering" noise (something mechanical spinning/winding
> down) immediately after starting my car. *The noise lasts no more than two
> seconds and stops before I even put the car into gear. *From the drivers
> seat, the noise appears to be coming from in front of me, as opposed to a
> faulty belt tensioner whose noise was clearly from the other side of the
> engine. *When starting the car I don't need to crank it any longer nor does
> it need any extra gas. *It starts right up just like it did on day one

> except for that sound. *No SES light either.
>
> The oil has been changed within the last 1000 miles but I don't believe the
> two are related. *Back in 2003, however, my local Saturn dealer told me that
> I should have my ignition coil replaced. *I still have not had that done.
> Could that be the source of the noise? *A rattling exhaust pipe has also
> been suggested but I don't think that would make the kind of noise I hear..
>
> Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Pat

1995 GMC Jimmy - mod - fvl Paddy's Pig Auto Photos 0 December 7th 07 11:28 AM
BMW 540i 1995 [email protected] BMW 7 July 3rd 07 08:49 PM
Viper Tribute Reposts: 1995 Dodge Viper RT-10 Red fvl (1995 Detroit Auto Show).jpg 173030 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 March 28th 07 12:21 PM
1995 XLT Jacob Ford Explorer 1 March 27th 07 01:21 AM
1995 BMW M60 730 v8 Cat rainbow BMW 1 February 24th 07 06:33 PM