Can rotating the tires extend their life by 20%?

Old March 20th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Can rotating the tires extend their life by 20%?

So I'm looking at BFG G-Force Sports for my next set of tires.

Ordering online + installation charges would be a hair over $400
total, if I did all four tires at the same time.

Or, the local Discount Tire can do it for $467 including free
rotations for the life of the tires.

You see where I'm going with this. Is it worth the extra $65 for the
free rotations. I figure I would want to get an extra 15% wear at a
minimum. Or, the dealership can do it at services for an extra $25 -
but if I'm rotating them more than a few times, might as well go with
Discount Tire.

Maybe I should add, there's a good chance I would autocross these a
few times, as a novice. I guess that might lead to more uneven wear
than normal.

As an aside, how much effort is involved in learning to change the
wheels yourself on a Miata - or a Jeep for that matter? What tools
would I need to get?

TIA & ZZ

Old March 21st 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

wrote:

> So I'm looking at BFG G-Force Sports for my next set of tires.
>
> Ordering online + installation charges would be a hair over $400
> total, if I did all four tires at the same time.
>
> Or, the local Discount Tire can do it for $467 including free
> rotations for the life of the tires.
>
> You see where I'm going with this. Is it worth the extra $65 for the
> free rotations. I figure I would want to get an extra 15% wear at a
> minimum. Or, the dealership can do it at services for an extra $25 -
> but if I'm rotating them more than a few times, might as well go with
> Discount Tire.

Personally, I'd pay the extra but maybe your back is stronger than
mine? Hmmm, now that I think about it, if you can stand and walk
unassisted then your back must be stronger than mine.

> As an aside, how much effort is involved in learning to change the
> wheels yourself on a Miata - or a Jeep for that matter? What tools
> would I need to get?

A jack, lug wrench and set of jackstands is all you need, it's fairly
hard work but not complicated.

An aside on tire rotation, Goodyear says it's fine to rotate tires,
Pirelli says a tire must never be moved, once mounted it stays in that
position for as long as it lasts. Pick the one you like. ;-)

Old March 21st 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
M. Cantera

Tire rotations are an opportunity to inspect the conditions of the
brake pads and calipers, shocks, and covers of the rear suspension
shafts.

All of these are safety and reliability items and can be major money
and inconvenience once they are shot because a problem was not spotted
early.

On 20 Mar 2007 15:43:58 -0700, wrote:

>So I'm looking at BFG G-Force Sports for my next set of tires.
>
>Ordering online + installation charges would be a hair over $400
>total, if I did all four tires at the same time.
>
>Or, the local Discount Tire can do it for $467 including free
>rotations for the life of the tires.

Check with them. It also usually included balancing the tires and
road hazard insurance.

>You see where I'm going with this. Is it worth the extra $65 for the
>free rotations. I figure I would want to get an extra 15% wear at a
>minimum. Or, the dealership can do it at services for an extra $25 -
>but if I'm rotating them more than a few times, might as well go with
>Discount Tire.
>
>Maybe I should add, there's a good chance I would autocross these a
>few times, as a novice. I guess that might lead to more uneven wear
>than normal.
>
>As an aside, how much effort is involved in learning to change the
>wheels yourself on a Miata - or a Jeep for that matter? What tools
>would I need to get?
>
>TIA & ZZ

Look in the ownwers manual. It usally involves four or five nuts and
a jack to hold up the end of the car without the wheel.

Old March 21st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> A briskly-driven Miata wears its rear tires about twice as fast as the
> fronts,

Very True.

If you aim to replace all four as a set, rotation is a must; every 3000
miles should be about
> right if they're really a soft HP tire. I have the shop rotate while
> it's up on the lift at every oil change, and the total bill is $35
> including a Mazda filter.

Not a bad idea

> Little effort in learning--it's about as complicated as picking your
> nose.

Lanny, it seems that way to you cause you've been doing it forever but
remember this person has not! There are quite a few little things they'll
need to do correctly (and not forget to do!) to be driving smoothly and
safely. Don't take it lightly.

Be smart,
Chris
99BBB

Old March 21st 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

Are you in an area where you would use snow tires on a yearly basis ?

--
" ya gotta let it out, Captain! " ( Jaime Brockett )

oups.com...

Old March 21st 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> > Little effort in learning--it's about as complicated as picking your
> > nose.

> Lanny, it seems that way to you cause you've been doing it forever but
> remember this person has not! There are quite a few little things they'll
> need to do correctly (and not forget to do!) to be driving smoothly and
> safely. Don't take it lightly.

I wasn't suggesting that a normal human is born with innate knowledge of
tire rotation (or even nose picking), merely that, like booger dredging,
there are only a few things one needs to know, and those are easily
mastered. If the original poster would like a detailed tutorial, I'll
happily oblige (and watch my buddies Leon and Pat nitpick it to death).
A better idea might be to join the local Miata club and get a hands-on
lesson from an experienced club member.

Or, like me, find a trustworthy independent garage and pay them to do it.
Old March 21st 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:36:40 -0500, Lanny Chambers >
wrote:

>A briskly-driven Miata wears its rear tires about twice as fast as the
>fronts, especially ultra high-performance tires (which the G-Force
>Sports claim to be, though I have my doubts) . If you aim to replace all
>four as a set, rotation is a must; every 3000 miles should be about
>right if they're really a soft HP tire.

Jusrt be sure you don't have asymmetric tires (i.e., those with a specified
direction of rotation), in which case you should only swap front and rear, and
never move the tires to the opposite side.

-- Larry
Old March 21st 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Marc Gerges

XS11E > wrote:
> An aside on tire rotation, Goodyear says it's fine to rotate tires,
> Pirelli says a tire must never be moved, once mounted it stays in that
> position for as long as it lasts. Pick the one you like. ;-)

It depends on the ti if you have asymmetrical thread, you can swap
all you like. If you have a directional thread, you can only swap on the
same side of the car (front to rear).

I've been told that tires having spun in one direction for a long time
tend not to like being spun in the other direction and wear quicker
therefore. Don't know what to think of it, but then pretty much all my
tires have a directional thread, so I don't have to have an opinion on
that.

My daily drivers are swapped twice a year (winter and summer tires) and
I like to take the opportunity to take a look at the stuff behind.

cu
.\\arc