Ion intermittent ignition switch problem

Old August 13th 04, 08:29 PM
ELY

Default Ion intermittent ignition switch problem

James, I too have a 2003 Saturn Ion and am experiencing problems with the
ignition. My problem involves the key remaining stuck in the ingition
after I have turned the car off. Apparently there is a safety feature
that will not allow you to remove the key from the ignition unless the car
is in park -- problem is, my car is in park and I still can't get the key
out of the ignition. I always try to re-park my car and turn my wheels in
case the position of my wheels is locking up the ignition, but it never
gets my key out of the ignition. Anyway, I know that my problem is not
uncommon b/c there is an entire page in my owner's manual explaining what
to do when you can't get the key out of the ignition. Although I have
become quite adept at overriding the safety feature when necessarily, I
would prefer that the problem be taken care of once and for all. I have
taken my car in to the dealership on three occasions, and am taking it in
for the fourth time. I've been advised that unless they can duplicate the
problem while they have my car there, they will not do anything else to fix
the ignition. All that they have done is replace the ingition housing.
This is ridiculous. My warranty will expire next year, I'll still be
having this problem, and it is likely that when I take the car in for this
ignition problem after the warranty has expired, that is when they will be
able to "duplicate" the problem and replace the faulty parts, and I'll be
on the hook for $600 or more. I am very dissatisfied with my Saturn and
the service provided by Saturn at this time. These Saturns definitely
have either a manufacturing or design defect with regard to the ignitions.

Old August 13th 04, 09:31 PM
Blah Blah

In article
outautos.com>,
says...
> James, I too have a 2003 Saturn Ion and am experiencing problems with the
> ignition. My problem involves the key remaining stuck in the ingition
> after I have turned the car off. Apparently there is a safety feature
> that will not allow you to remove the key from the ignition unless the car
> is in park -- problem is, my car is in park and I still can't get the key
> out of the ignition. I always try to re-park my car and turn my wheels in
> case the position of my wheels is locking up the ignition, but it never
> gets my key out of the ignition. Anyway, I know that my problem is not
> uncommon b/c there is an entire page in my owner's manual explaining what
> to do when you can't get the key out of the ignition. Although I have
> become quite adept at overriding the safety feature when necessarily, I
> would prefer that the problem be taken care of once and for all. I have
> taken my car in to the dealership on three occasions, and am taking it in
> for the fourth time. I've been advised that unless they can duplicate the
> problem while they have my car there, they will not do anything else to fix
> the ignition. All that they have done is replace the ingition housing.
> This is ridiculous. My warranty will expire next year, I'll still be
> having this problem, and it is likely that when I take the car in for this
> ignition problem after the warranty has expired, that is when they will be
> able to "duplicate" the problem and replace the faulty parts, and I'll be
> on the hook for $600 or more. I am very dissatisfied with my Saturn and
> the service provided by Saturn at this time. These Saturns definitely
> have either a manufacturing or design defect with regard to the ignitions.

The problem may not be your tumbler but rather the shifter. What in park
trips to let the key out?
Old August 13th 04, 10:14 PM
ELY

In order to get my key out of the ignition, I have to pry off a small piece
of plastic from the steering column, reach up into the steering column with
a finger, and press a small button to the left while simultaneously turning
the key in the ignition. Then the key can be removed from the ignition.
This is precisely how the owner's manual instructs you to deactivate the
safety device that prevents you from removing the key from the ignition
when the vehicle is not in park. Apparantly the safety device also
prevents the key from being removed when the car is in park. Go figure.