Help - Rotors frozen on Ion-2

Old March 25th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
somebody[_2_]

Default Help - Rotors frozen on Ion-2

It's time to change the rotors on my 2005 Ion-2. The two retaining
clips were easy enough but the rotor is rusted to the hub.

What's better? Heat? (I don't have a torch, but have to ask)

Beat it with a big hammer?

Find some kind of puller somewhere?

Thanks!
Old March 26th 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"somebody" > wrote in message
> It's time to change the rotors on my 2005 Ion-2. The two retaining
> clips were easy enough but the rotor is rusted to the hub.
>
> What's better? Heat? (I don't have a torch, but have to ask)
>
> Beat it with a big hammer?
>
> Find some kind of puller somewhere?
>
> Thanks!

IMHO, normal in-service heat cycles have caused the rotor to SHRINK and lock
to the hub, corrosion will be a contributing factor but the shrinking action
is the major factor and probably means that penetrating type oils will not
help.

Heat with an OA torch is the only thing that I have had good constant
success with. It is hot enough to swell the rotor quickly without heating
the hub. OxyPropane will probably do it but not as nicely or as quickly and
may cause overheating of the hub & bearing, IMHE straight propane is a waste
of time and is even more likely to cause overheating of the hub.

IMHE, Use a large size cutting tip or medium rosebud heating tip with
multiple flames, apply the heat to the rotor at and inside of the bolt
circle. It seldom takes more than a couple of seconds if done with a large
tip in the right place, it does not result in much or any heating to the
greater mass of the outer rotor.

Good luck, YMMV

Frozen struts? JENNIFER SMITH Ford Explorer 0 March 10th 07 06:58 AM
frozen windows Ken Weitzel Chrysler 3 January 21st 06 01:11 AM
Frozen P4 (on the rocks) [email protected] Alfa Romeo 3 December 13th 05 11:21 PM
Frozen battery John W. Bienko Technology 7 February 2nd 05 03:38 PM
SC1 99 is frozen encapuchado Saturn 9 December 21st 04 09:37 PM