60's Challenge Mod

Old November 27th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default 60's Challenge Mod

Anyone else tried this? The Cobra is practically undriveable, but
loads of fun. The Daytona is easier to drive and will lay down a
faster lap for me.

This is the closest thing to GPL I've found. 60's cars with loads of
HP and no downforce. Turning laps at Mosport last night especially
brought back all those GPL memories!

Pat Dotson

Old November 27th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Mr. Sylvestre wrote:
>I found the whole batch of
> cars undriveable at first but watching replays it was clear that my
> corner entry velocity was much higher than I thought (maybe the in-car
> engine sounds are misleading ?). After adjusting my driving -slow on
> entry, fast on exit- I now enjoy the GTO, the Alfa and the Daytona a
> lot. The Cobra, well, that's another story...

I find that downshifting through the gears allows me to better judge
the decreasing rate of speed by listening to the pitch of the RPM in
each gear. That makes it easier to decelerate to the right entry
speed. That may seem like a no-brainer, but I was trying to shortcut
the up-shifting process because of the added workload of operating the
G25 H-shifter. I tried leaving the car in neutral during braking, and
also tried delaying the upshift until I'd fully decelerated. Neither
approach worked very well.

I've developed some very tame setups for the Daytona and GTO. They are
actually easy to drive now - probably even easier than any GPL car.
The Cobra seems unfinished in that the available setup parameters are
few, and the range provided in the setup options that are present is
too small to allow for a stable setup. The Cobra setup options don't
seem realistic or complete, but maybe they are.

The Daytona Cobra still seems fastest by far. I was able to do a
1:26.9 at Mosport in the DCobra, but only managed 1:29's in the GTO.
The regular Cobra would probably be fastest if it wasn't so unstable
that you have to tiptoe it around the track!

Pat Dotson

Old November 28th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Anyone else tried this? The Cobra is practically undriveable, but
> loads of fun. The Daytona is easier to drive and will lay down a
> faster lap for me.
>
> This is the closest thing to GPL I've found. 60's cars with loads of
> HP and no downforce. Turning laps at Mosport last night especially
> brought back all those GPL memories!
>
> Pat Dotson

The Cobra (AC Cobra) WAS almost impossible to drive compared to some of the
other cars in that era.....:-) You need to be especially easy on the
throttle and ease into it especially when shifting.

Ed

Old December 4th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andre Warringa

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:32:55 -0500, "Dave F" > wrote:

>I think the full version is going to be released very soon.

Friend of mine told me there was a problem with the 60's mod (the guy
who made it used stuff from other people, got people ****ed and he
quit the project).
Do you know anything about that?

Cheers
Andre
Old December 4th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darus

On Dec 4, 4:12 am, Andre Warringa > wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:32:55 -0500, "Dave F" > wrote:
> >I think the full version is going to be released very soon.Friend of mine told me there was a problem with the 60's mod (the guy

> who made it used stuff from other people, got people ****ed and he
> quit the project).
> Do you know anything about that?
>
> Cheers
> Andre

I beleive that was the GPL --> rFactor mod. A lot of the GPLEA eye
candy was converted over to rF and a huge fight erupted. End result was
the demo was pulled and the author (Slimjim) has quit rF work.