Water Injection on Corrado SLC VR6

Old July 9th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Corrado Daddy[_1_]

Default Water Injection on Corrado SLC VR6

Anyone out there add water injection to your VR6 Corrado? I bought one
that is a teenage mutant ninja tuner mightmare!! It will not pass NO
emissions tests due to no EGR valve or any way to put one on it. I was
thinking the best way to pass the test is to cool the combustion
process with water injection. It doesn't have to be anything fancy,
just get me past the test at 25 MPH with less than 1258 ppm NO. I'm at
1350 ppm now with premium gas.

Old July 10th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

You should post all the emission parameters. If you really want a good right
answer. I can give you some ghetto ideas. Is the HC way low. If it was my
car, I,d put the egr back on. If I had to pass it, ,Id try pumping the
front tire air up to 50 psi , Cut a flapper hole in the exhaust after the
muffler to let the NO out. Weld it up when done. And buy some of that gas
additive for emissions. Put it in right before going there. Also check the
timing. but I cant remember which way. I think retard increases HC, lowers
NO. If your HC was way low that might help. If your HC was just in don't
move it . then you will have two specs out. I wouldn't do water injection
just to pass emissions. Unless you're just looking for something to do. If
the car pings on regular gas, back off the timing. That may be your NO
problem.
oups.com...

Old July 11th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Keith Jewell

none2u wrote:
> You should post all the emission parameters. If you really want a good right
> answer. I can give you some ghetto ideas. Is the HC way low. If it was my
> car, I,d put the egr back on. If I had to pass it, ,Id try pumping the
> front tire air up to 50 psi , Cut a flapper hole in the exhaust after the
> muffler to let the NO out. Weld it up when done. And buy some of that gas
> additive for emissions. Put it in right before going there. Also check the
> timing. but I cant remember which way. I think retard increases HC, lowers
> NO. If your HC was way low that might help. If your HC was just in don't
> move it . then you will have two specs out. I wouldn't do water injection
> just to pass emissions. Unless you're just looking for something to do. If
> the car pings on regular gas, back off the timing. That may be your NO
> problem.

Dude ... VR6.

The SLCs never had EGR valves, so there's none to put back on.

The VR6 has computerized timing based off of the knock sensors. There
is no timing to set.

To the OP: Run some top-end cleaner like Techron or Seafoam. The engine
probably needs it anyway. Put in new plugs. If the wires are the
original black ones, put on new wires. Put in that guaranteed-to-pass
stuff. You should be fine.

-Keith

Old July 13th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Corrado Daddy[_1_]

> Dude ... VR6.
>
> The SLCs never had EGR valves, so there's none to put back on.

Dude: I have a 93 VR6 Corrado SLC that is all original that has an EGR
valve. The car I'm having problems with is a 90 Corrado that someone
added a VR6 to and installed an exhaust manifold that does not have the
port for the EGR supply tube. The intake manifold port is plugged off.
The vacuum relay is in place as well as all the vacuum lines. I would
have to R&R the exhaust manifold to install the EGR. I bought an EGR
valve thinking it would be a simple install but nooooo.

> The VR6 has computerized timing based off of the knock sensors. There
> is no timing to set.

You are correct about that. No timing adjustments available to the
backyard mechanic.

> To the OP: Run some top-end cleaner like Techron or Seafoam. The engine
> probably needs it anyway. Put in new plugs. If the wires are the
> original black ones, put on new wires. Put in that guaranteed-to-pass
> stuff. You should be fine.

I have done most of this stuff. The NO went down 75 ppm but is still
100 ppm too high. The plugs and wires are good. NO is formed by high
combustion temperatures. The EGR reduces the temps to help reduce NO
formation. The catalytic converter also helps to reduce NO emissions.
I have not check the converter. HC is 119.3 (limit is 174 ppm) and CO
is .73 (limit is 1.12%), well within pass limits.

Old July 13th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Keith Jewell

Corrado Daddy wrote:
> Dude: I have a 93 VR6 Corrado SLC that is all original that has an EGR
> valve. The car I'm having problems with is a 90 Corrado that someone
> added a VR6 to and installed an exhaust manifold that does not have the
> port for the EGR supply tube. The intake manifold port is plugged off.
> The vacuum relay is in place as well as all the vacuum lines. I would
> have to R&R the exhaust manifold to install the EGR. I bought an EGR
> valve thinking it would be a simple install but nooooo.

You're totally right; I was mixing up the Passat and Corrado VR6s. The
Passat only had EGR in California until 1995.

> > To the OP: Run some top-end cleaner like Techron or Seafoam. The engine
> > probably needs it anyway. Put in new plugs. If the wires are the
> > original black ones, put on new wires. Put in that guaranteed-to-pass
> > stuff. You should be fine.

> I have done most of this stuff. The NO went down 75 ppm but is still
> 100 ppm too high. The plugs and wires are good. NO is formed by high
> combustion temperatures. The EGR reduces the temps to help reduce NO
> formation. The catalytic converter also helps to reduce NO emissions.
> I have not check the converter. HC is 119.3 (limit is 174 ppm) and CO
> is .73 (limit is 1.12%), well within pass limits.

It sounds like at this point all you need to do is slightly reduce
combustion temperature or add an additive that reduces NOx. That's not
so surprising - isn't the intake on the Corrado rather warm to begin
with? Anyway, a gas additive that reduces combustion chamber
temperature should make that happen. Doesn't Techron include an
additive designed to reduce NOx? If you do want to try the water
injection, tap power from the far side of the fuel pump relay so you
don't end up loading up the top end with water when the engine isn't
running. You can probably, for a short run, use air pressure instead.
In other words, get yourself something that can take a decent amount of
pressure, fill it with water halfway, put a hundred PSI in the other
half of air, then feed from that to a tiny nozzle positioned in the
intake. I'm pretty sure you can get decent misting nozzles intended for
micro irrigation. Still, an additive is probably going to be easier;
the full-strength Techron might do the trick.

-Keith

Old July 15th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Corrado Daddy[_1_]

> You're totally right; I was mixing up the Passat and Corrado VR6s. The
> Passat only had EGR in California until 1995.

Keith:
That makes sense. I think this engine was originally from a 93 Passat.

I like your idea better. I have seen fuel additives that reduce NOx
but never tried them. I will give it a shot.

Thanks for all the advice. I will report the results.
Corrado Daddy

A6, 2000, 1.8T, Water ingress, Wipers, Windows & other Woes.... Ian G Audi 3 May 29th 06 09:58 AM
How to flush coolant system? Yvan BMW 10 January 31st 06 03:30 PM
Water Injection - What does it do? Buzz Saturn 13 November 5th 05 03:41 AM
Water Injection Question [email protected] Technology 6 October 7th 05 03:15 PM
Water Injection for 6L XJ engine? Spud Jeep 11 May 14th 05 02:52 AM