Any Bolt-On Subframe kits?

Old November 4th 05, 03:01 PM

Default Any Bolt-On Subframe kits?

Most kits I've seen need to be welded. I don't have any weld shops
around (that I trust).

One mechanic told me that there are bolt-on subframe connector kits
also. I have a 2000 GT convertible that's I'd like to firm up a bit.
Can someone recommend a decent kit?

Thanks
Mark

Old November 4th 05, 03:54 PM
KJ.Kate

Go to a body shop, they will have the proper lift and a tech that can weld
them on for you.

Lots of subframes out there, but bolt ons are not recommended.

KJK

oups.com...
:

Old November 4th 05, 04:00 PM

The place that's THE Mustang shop closest to me is pretty far and I
would have to take a day off work (which I can't afford). So if I read
you correctly, the bolt-on kits are inferior? Note, I don't plan to
race the car much. Just want to stiffen up the frame since many claim
(here) that these kits are a "must-have".

Thanks
Mark

Old November 4th 05, 04:17 PM
Backyard Mechanic

"KJ.Kate" > wrote in
:

> Go to a body shop, they will have the proper lift and a tech that can
> weld them on for you.
>
> Lots of subframes out there, but bolt ons are not recommended.

If you research further on this group you will also find that the car MUST
be absolutely level and straight when the connectors are installed.

Notwithstanding that the convertible is looser by nature and already has
some stiffening installed - WHICH COMPLICATE INSTALLING MOST OF THEM- THAT
is enough reason to NOT do it in your garage.
Old November 4th 05, 07:31 PM
Garth Almgren

Around 11/4/2005 7:01 AM, wrote:

> Most kits I've seen need to be welded.

They *all* need to be welded in - even the bolt-on kits.

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang:
http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
| RAMFM Merchandise: http://www.cafeshops.com/ramfm |
\ Mail for secure reply information /
Old November 5th 05, 05:56 PM
Dan

You should check, but I think your 'vert has stock SFC's. They are thin
box struts bolted on. They came stock on the '99+ Cobra for sure so
there are lot of take off units out there (I have two sets ). You
should be able to get a set for very little.

But they are pretty lame so it's a lot of effort for very little.

An alternative would be to get a set of shorty Maximum Motorsports or
Kenny Brown SFCs and drill them, drill and tap the frame, and mount
them like the stock ones. They would be a little stiffer. You wouldn't
want to do any road racing with those those .

Dan
2003 Cobra Convertible
With some stuff and things

Old November 6th 05, 12:10 AM

Ritz wrote:

>>> Most kits I've seen need to be welded. I don't have any weld shops
>>> around (that I trust).
>>>
>>> One mechanic told me that there are bolt-on subframe connector kits
>>> also. I have a 2000 GT convertible that's I'd like to firm up a bit.
>>> Can someone recommend a decent kit?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mark
>>>

>> One word;
>>
>> Dont. Subframes are additions to your cars frame. Your cars frame is
>> not bolted together for very good reason. Subframe connectors really
>> need to be welded in to be of any good. If you can't get weld-ins, I
>> would suggest not bothering at all.

> I wouldn't go THAT far. Bolt-ons are definitely better than nothing at
> all and will increase the torsional rigidity of the frame. There's
> nothing wrong with bolt-ons and then having them welded at a later time
> if you want to eke out that last bit of rigidity. Just make sure that
> whoever installs them does so on a "roll on" lift so the car is sitting
> normally on its wheels and level before they tighten down/weld the
> connectors.
>
> Cheers,

I've seen the holes drilled in the front and rear subframes for the
bolt on kits elongate and crack to point of needing WELDING REPAIR. Why
the **** would anyone put on bolt on subframes these days is beyond me.
They do **** all and can actually damage your existing subframe.

Your convert probably already had extra frame stiffening added at the
factory. I dunno agout the sn-95/new edge cars, but the 79-93 foxes had
extra riveted on frame stiffeners at the underbody seam where the side
skins meet the floorpan. These can be installed on non-vert cars for
racing where sanctioning bodies require cars remain 'stock' (depending
on class perticipating in).

Any reasonably equipped shop can weld in subframes. You preferenably
require a drive-on lift, and a competent welder with a 220v mig (stick
may work, but someone more experienced with stick welding will need to
sound in on this one). As long as the lift is level side to side and
corner to corner and your existing unibody is not tweaked, you are good
to go to weld on your frames. I've done this myself with excellent
success - we even put the car on a chassis alignment jig before and
after and it hand't changed a bit. A drive on lift is key, or so I have
been told.