C5 How to Change DRL Lamp

Old July 15th 05, 01:22 AM
aRKay

Default C5 How to Change DRL Lamp

Anyone have a URL on the procedure to replace the right front DRL and
turn signal lamp in a C5. The owner's manual says NOTHING about
replacing the front lamps.

arkay (at) qsl.net
Old July 15th 05, 02:22 AM
Dad

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a URL on the procedure to replace the right front DRL and
> turn signal lamp in a C5. The owner's manual says NOTHING about
> replacing the front lamps.
>
> arkay (at) qsl.net

Open the hood, remove the hood bumper stud, light can be reached from that
opening. Remember how it was set, your hood will look better when you close
it. The socket is released by pulling a tab out like on some plastic bottle
caps and rotating counter clockwise. Five minute job. There are 2 other
ways, one is to remove the headlight cover, the other is to remove the panel
under the light. Both are much slower than going in from the top. The owners
manual is just that, not a service and repair manual which is 5 inches
thick. Most owners don't read the owners manual let alone the service
manual. I have a '98 manual that I'd sell if you want some good reading.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old July 15th 05, 02:38 AM
aRKay

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> > Anyone have a URL on the procedure to replace the right front DRL and
> > turn signal lamp in a C5. The owner's manual says NOTHING about
> > replacing the front lamps.
> >
> > arkay (at) qsl.net

> Open the hood, remove the hood bumper stud, light can be reached from that
> opening. Remember how it was set, your hood will look better when you close
> it. The socket is released by pulling a tab out like on some plastic bottle
> caps and rotating counter clockwise. Five minute job. There are 2 other
> ways, one is to remove the headlight cover, the other is to remove the panel
> under the light. Both are much slower than going in from the top. The owners
> manual is just that, not a service and repair manual which is 5 inches
> thick. Most owners don't read the owners manual let alone the service
> manual. I have a '98 manual that I'd sell if you want some good reading.

Thanks...... I pulled he headlight cover and could get my hand in but
could not get it to release. May have to pull the parking light fuze to
cut the power. You can cut the power to the head lamps and get them to
stay up but the parking light remains hot. I may have screwed up per
you note. I was trying to push the tabs rather than pulling them. Very
hard to get leverage while messing around down there. HiHi
Old July 15th 05, 02:43 AM
Dad

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>> > Anyone have a URL on the procedure to replace the right front DRL and
>> > turn signal lamp in a C5. The owner's manual says NOTHING about
>> > replacing the front lamps.
>> >
>> > arkay (at) qsl.net

>> Open the hood, remove the hood bumper stud, light can be reached from
>> that
>> opening. Remember how it was set, your hood will look better when you
>> close
>> it. The socket is released by pulling a tab out like on some plastic
>> bottle
>> caps and rotating counter clockwise. Five minute job. There are 2 other
>> ways, one is to remove the headlight cover, the other is to remove the
>> panel
>> under the light. Both are much slower than going in from the top. The
>> owners
>> manual is just that, not a service and repair manual which is 5 inches
>> thick. Most owners don't read the owners manual let alone the service
>> manual. I have a '98 manual that I'd sell if you want some good reading.

> Thanks...... I pulled he headlight cover and could get my hand in but
> could not get it to release. May have to pull the parking light fuze to
> cut the power. You can cut the power to the head lamps and get them to
> stay up but the parking light remains hot. I may have screwed up per
> you note. I was trying to push the tabs rather than pulling them. Very
> hard to get leverage while messing around down there. HiHi

Hummm, maybe that's one of the reason I don't go in that way, plus the
opportunity to screw up the paint and location of the headlight cover. A
little masking tape on the edges may be in order unless everything goes
right for you.

--
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life

Old July 15th 05, 02:58 AM
aRKay

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> > Anyone have a URL on the procedure to replace the right front DRL and
> > turn signal lamp in a C5. The owner's manual says NOTHING about
> > replacing the front lamps.
> >
> > arkay (at) qsl.net

> Open the hood, remove the hood bumper stud, light can be reached from that
> opening. Remember how it was set, your hood will look better when you close
> it. The socket is released by pulling a tab out like on some plastic bottle
> caps and rotating counter clockwise. Five minute job. There are 2 other
> ways, one is to remove the headlight cover, the other is to remove the panel
> under the light. Both are much slower than going in from the top. The owners
> manual is just that, not a service and repair manual which is 5 inches
> thick. Most owners don't read the owners manual let alone the service
> manual. I have a '98 manual that I'd sell if you want some good reading.

I am in deep doo-doo now. Followed your tip to remove the hood bumper
and managed to get the old broken lamp out. I then put in a new lamp
but did not push in very hard and it came loose and is now in the light
fixture. I cannot even feel it but know its in there.

Wonder if I should just leave it there and put in another lamp or should
pull the fixture. That looks like a major job to get the the bolts.

Any suggestions on how to retrieve the lamp?
Old July 15th 05, 03:16 AM
Dad

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>> > Anyone have a URL on the procedure to replace the right front DRL and
>> > turn signal lamp in a C5. The owner's manual says NOTHING about
>> > replacing the front lamps.
>> >
>> > arkay (at) qsl.net

>> Open the hood, remove the hood bumper stud, light can be reached from
>> that
>> opening. Remember how it was set, your hood will look better when you
>> close
>> it. The socket is released by pulling a tab out like on some plastic
>> bottle
>> caps and rotating counter clockwise. Five minute job. There are 2 other
>> ways, one is to remove the headlight cover, the other is to remove the
>> panel
>> under the light. Both are much slower than going in from the top. The
>> owners
>> manual is just that, not a service and repair manual which is 5 inches
>> thick. Most owners don't read the owners manual let alone the service
>> manual. I have a '98 manual that I'd sell if you want some good reading.

> I am in deep doo-doo now. Followed your tip to remove the hood bumper
> and managed to get the old broken lamp out. I then put in a new lamp
> but did not push in very hard and it came loose and is now in the light
> fixture. I cannot even feel it but know its in there.
>
> Wonder if I should just leave it there and put in another lamp or should
> pull the fixture. That looks like a major job to get the the bolts.
>
> Any suggestions on how to retrieve the lamp?

Gum on a stick, I use windshield sealer to stick it fast. That entire
assembly is held in with a spring. You might be ahead to put in another lamp
as you said. It is a no brainer if you are on a lift to take the lower panel
off and unclip the entire light assembly.

Good luck

Old July 15th 05, 03:27 AM
Dad

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Open the hood, remove the hood bumper stud, light can be reached from
>>> that
>>> opening. Remember how it was set, your hood will look better when you
>>> close
>>> it. The socket is released by pulling a tab out like on some plastic
>>> bottle
>>> caps and rotating counter clockwise. Five minute job. There are 2 other
>>> ways, one is to remove the headlight cover, the other is to remove the
>>> panel
>>> under the light. Both are much slower than going in from the top. The
>>> owners
>>> manual is just that, not a service and repair manual which is 5 inches
>>> thick. Most owners don't read the owners manual let alone the service
>>> manual. I have a '98 manual that I'd sell if you want some good reading.

>> I am in deep doo-doo now. Followed your tip to remove the hood bumper
>> and managed to get the old broken lamp out. I then put in a new lamp
>> but did not push in very hard and it came loose and is now in the light
>> fixture. I cannot even feel it but know its in there.
>>
>> Wonder if I should just leave it there and put in another lamp or should
>> pull the fixture. That looks like a major job to get the the bolts.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to retrieve the lamp?

> Gum on a stick, I use windshield sealer to stick it fast. That entire
> assembly is held in with a spring. You might be ahead to put in another
> lamp as you said. It is a no brainer if you are on a lift to take the
> lower panel off and unclip the entire light assembly.
>
> Good luck

There are 5 6MM (don't know the hex size for this thread) screws, two in the
wheel well and 3 on the bottom of the bumper cover. If you get those off you
can drive a truck in there to work. Best if on a lift but can be done on a
ramp. Try a magnet on that bulb, there may be some steel in the base.

Old July 15th 05, 05:07 PM
aRKay

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> >> Wonder if I should just leave it there and put in another lamp or should
> >> pull the fixture. That looks like a major job to get the the bolts.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions on how to retrieve the lamp?

> > Gum on a stick, I use windshield sealer to stick it fast. That entire
> > assembly is held in with a spring. You might be ahead to put in another
> > lamp as you said. It is a no brainer if you are on a lift to take the
> > lower panel off and unclip the entire light assembly.
> >
> > Good luck

I got tired of messing with it and just installed another lamp and will
let the dropped one live in the bottom of the housing. Some things are
just too hard. Maybe some day when I get bored I will pull the lens to
save the $2.50 lamp. HiHi

Thanks for the help. All turn signals are now working perfect again.

aRKay

Oil Change for a 2001 Buick Century jarl Technology 16 July 21st 05 10:22 PM
exhaust emissions warning lamp golf owner VW air cooled 3 February 1st 05 01:30 AM
Tire change for 2000 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4cyl. grandma Honda 3 December 22nd 04 01:15 PM
Airbag sensor on E39 hodne BMW 2 September 25th 04 12:04 AM
THIS ADD CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE jaman General 0 May 30th 04 07:05 PM