Thanks for Run Flat Tires

Old June 21st 09, 09:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

Default Thanks for Run Flat Tires

We had a major tire event on the way over to Pearland, TX on the Sam
Houston Toll Road out in the boonies. The C5's DIC (digital information
display) went nuts saying WARNING right rear tire needs service NOW.

We were in the boonies and there was NO place to stop for service. I
just slowed down from 80 to 50 and keep on trucking on the Goodyear
Run Flat tire for about 30 or 40 miles. Finally found a Discount Tire
place they fixed it for me - for no charge.

This is why I will continue to buy tired from Discount Tire and I will
no longer bad mouth the noise of the run flat tires.
Old June 26th 09, 01:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 21, 3:18*pm, aRKay > wrote:
> We had a major tire event on the way over to Pearland, TX on the Sam
> Houston Toll Road out in the boonies. *The C5's DIC (digital information
> display) went nuts saying WARNING right rear tire needs service NOW.
>
> We were in the boonies and there was NO place to stop for service. I
> just slowed down from 80 to 50 and keep on trucking on the Goodyear
> Run Flat tire for about 30 or 40 miles. *Finally found a Discount Tire
> place they fixed it for me - for no charge.
>
> This is why I will continue to buy tired from Discount Tire and I will
> no longer bad mouth the noise of the run flat tires.

Im glad they worked out good for you in a desperate moment. However,
I swapped mine out right after i bought my 2006 LS2 Vette and went
with Michelin PS2's with Tire Repair Kit and Portable air compressor.
The noise was rediculous on the Run Flats and destroyed the pleasure
of owning a world class Sports car.
Old June 26th 09, 03:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Gary Mishler

" > wrote in message
On Jun 21, 3:18 pm, aRKay > wrote:
> We had a major tire event on the way over to Pearland, TX on the Sam
> Houston Toll Road out in the boonies. The C5's DIC (digital information
> display) went nuts saying WARNING right rear tire needs service NOW.
>
> We were in the boonies and there was NO place to stop for service. I
> just slowed down from 80 to 50 and keep on trucking on the Goodyear
> Run Flat tire for about 30 or 40 miles. Finally found a Discount Tire
> place they fixed it for me - for no charge.
>
> This is why I will continue to buy tired from Discount Tire and I will
> no longer bad mouth the noise of the run flat tires.

Im glad they worked out good for you in a desperate moment. However,
I swapped mine out right after i bought my 2006 LS2 Vette and went
with Michelin PS2's with Tire Repair Kit and Portable air compressor.
The noise was rediculous on the Run Flats and destroyed the pleasure
of owning a world class Sports car.

Totally agreed. The noise, plus the harsh ride. I gave it a lot of
consideration and decided to accept the odds. I'm taking my chances with
the PS2's, a repair kit, compressor and AAA Motor Club. Could not be
happier as the difference in ride, noise, handling makes the world class
sports car much more enjoyable to own and drive.

Old June 26th 09, 03:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

" > wrote in message
On Jun 21, 3:18 pm, aRKay > wrote:
> We had a major tire event on the way over to Pearland, TX on the Sam
> Houston Toll Road out in the boonies. The C5's DIC (digital
> information
> display) went nuts saying WARNING right rear tire needs service NOW.
>
> We were in the boonies and there was NO place to stop for service. I
> just slowed down from 80 to 50 and keep on trucking on the Goodyear
> Run Flat tire for about 30 or 40 miles. Finally found a Discount
> Tire
> place they fixed it for me - for no charge.
>
> This is why I will continue to buy tired from Discount Tire and I
> will
> no longer bad mouth the noise of the run flat tires.

+Im glad they worked out good for you in a desperate moment. However,
+I swapped mine out right after i bought my 2006 LS2 Vette and went
+with Michelin PS2's with Tire Repair Kit and Portable air compressor.
+The noise was rediculous on the Run Flats and destroyed the pleasure
+of owning a world class Sports car.

Dave, I have no idea why you keep this story going other then for the
attention. You claim that you changed them with less than 300 miles on
them and none of the Corvette tires I know of were noisy until the got
about 8,000 miles on them. Although all tires have road noise the
Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S-C EMT you had are some of the most quiet
Corvette tires being used today. My experience is with all of the
tires offered on the C5 and the C6 plus 3 sets of non runflats and of
those that were noisy were the C5 runflats that had cupped with
between 8 and 10,000 miles on them. The first set of non run flats are
still on that '98 C5, saw it yesterday, and he said they are starting
to get noisy with 26,000 miles on them. They have a tread pattern
similar to the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S-C EMT you had and were always
very quiet.

Most of the tire noise due to wear comes from an alignment issue that
can be changed very easily. That question was answered on the
Corvetteactioncenter.com long ago. Change to Camber to as close to 0
as possible will negate the inner shoulder wear that is so common.
Toe, .05 left and right to reduce scalloping of the tire edges.

SwaveDave said this on Corvetteactioncenter.com 4/25/06 "Take a tour
thru the Bowling Green,KY Corvette Assembly Plant and youll be
convinced that the C6 is the best corvette thus far. As for what i
dont care for on mine : 1. Too much rear road noise even after
changing out the RunFlat tires. So im going to insulate the heck out
of it. Minor correction issue to me. 2. Didn't care for the way the
MN6 shifts especially when cold. I changed to Royal Purple Synthetic
Fluid and it noticeably shifts better. Thats all the complaints i have
about mine. Its a well engineered and built Corvette and is incredible
value for the money."

I would guess that the tire choice/change was not as great as you say
in the post to this news group.

Old June 26th 09, 05:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

Why's everyone so ****y here? The group is almost dead and the remaining
few want to bicker. Don't get it.

Just my $0.02, Ed

Old June 26th 09, 10:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"spud" > wrote in message
> Why's everyone so ****y here? The group is almost dead and the remaining
> few want to bicker. Don't get it.
>
> Just my $0.02, Ed

What web based boards are the best for info? Particularly regarding the C3
?

I'm putting all new suspension on mine... and I'd love to have the kind of
precise alignment info on the C3 w/ HD suspension VS the BF Goodrich Radial
TA - that Dad just posted about the later cars.

-W

Old June 27th 09, 03:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Gary Mishler wrote:
> " > wrote in message
> On Jun 21, 3:18 pm, aRKay > wrote:
>> We had a major tire event on the way over to Pearland, TX on the Sam
>> Houston Toll Road out in the boonies. The C5's DIC (digital information
>> display) went nuts saying WARNING right rear tire needs service NOW.
>>
>> We were in the boonies and there was NO place to stop for service. I
>> just slowed down from 80 to 50 and keep on trucking on the Goodyear
>> Run Flat tire for about 30 or 40 miles. Finally found a Discount Tire
>> place they fixed it for me - for no charge.
>>
>> This is why I will continue to buy tired from Discount Tire and I will
>> no longer bad mouth the noise of the run flat tires.

> Im glad they worked out good for you in a desperate moment. However,
> I swapped mine out right after i bought my 2006 LS2 Vette and went
> with Michelin PS2's with Tire Repair Kit and Portable air compressor.
> The noise was rediculous on the Run Flats and destroyed the pleasure
> of owning a world class Sports car.
>

> Totally agreed. The noise, plus the harsh ride. I gave it a lot of
> consideration and decided to accept the odds. I'm taking my chances with
> the PS2's, a repair kit, compressor and AAA Motor Club. Could not be
> happier as the difference in ride, noise, handling makes the world class
> sports car much more enjoyable to own and drive.

I'm with Gary. No run-flats on the '02. I go bare.

Corvettes are not off-road vehicles. So, AAA, a
dual-mode cell phone and a canteen of water
works in my C5.

In the last 50 years of driving I've had to call
for help eight, perhaps ten times. Only one of
those has involved a tire failure (a new tire
that had a total carcass failure). Most have
been from electrical failures (2-alternators,
1-belt, 2-batteries). Based on those numbers, I
should carry an alternator, spare battery and
the tools to change them.

--
pj
Old June 27th 09, 01:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 26, 9:59*am, "Dad" > wrote:
> [...]

> as possible will negate the inner shoulder wear that is so common.
> Toe, .05 left and right to reduce scalloping of the tire edges.
>
> SwaveDave said this on Corvetteactioncenter.com 4/25/06 "Take a tour
> thru the Bowling Green,KY Corvette Assembly Plant and youll be
> convinced that the C6 is the best corvette thus far. As for what i
> dont care for on mine : 1. Too much rear road noise even after
> changing out the RunFlat tires. So im going to insulate the heck out
> of it. Minor correction issue to me. 2. Didn't care for the way the
> MN6 shifts especially when cold. I changed to Royal Purple Synthetic
> Fluid and it noticeably shifts better. Thats all the complaints i have
> about mine. Its a well engineered and built Corvette and is incredible
> value for the money."
>
> I would guess that the tire choice/change was not as great as you say

Well, the Poster below me agreed with my analysis on the tire noise.
And yes, I did change them out after a few hundred miles. And no, I
dont post here for narcissism.
Old June 27th 09, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Jun 26, 10:27*am, "Gary Mishler" > wrote:
> " > wrote in message

> On Jun 21, 3:18 pm, aRKay > wrote:
>
> > We had a major tire event on the way over to Pearland, TX on the Sam
> > Houston Toll Road out in the boonies. The C5's DIC (digital information
> > display) went nuts saying WARNING right rear tire needs service NOW.

> > We were in the boonies and there was NO place to stop for service. I
> > just slowed down from 80 to 50 and keep on trucking on the Goodyear
> > Run Flat tire for about 30 or 40 miles. Finally found a Discount Tire
> > place they fixed it for me - for no charge.

> > This is why I will continue to buy tired from Discount Tire and I will
> > no longer bad mouth the noise of the run flat tires.

> Im glad they worked out good for you in a desperate moment. *However,
> I swapped mine out right after i bought my 2006 LS2 Vette and went
> with Michelin PS2's with Tire Repair Kit and Portable air compressor.
> The noise was rediculous on the Run Flats and destroyed the pleasure
> of owning a world class Sports car.
>
> Totally agreed. *The noise, plus the harsh ride. *I gave it a lot of
> consideration and decided to accept the odds. *I'm taking my chances with
> the PS2's, a repair kit, compressor and AAA Motor Club. *Could not be
> happier as the difference in ride, noise, handling makes the world class
> sports car much more enjoyable to own and drive.

I went to Michelin ZPs (Zero Pressure) and they are much quieter than
the GoodYears. Glad I did it. I like the security of the run flats.
I don't want to stop on a highway and reinflate a tire. My Malibu
Hybrid has the compressor & inflater - considering throwing a spare in
there with a jack.
Old June 27th 09, 02:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "spud" > wrote in message
>> Why's everyone so ****y here? The group is almost dead and the
>> remaining
>> few want to bicker. Don't get it.
>>
>> Just my $0.02, Ed

> What web based boards are the best for info? Particularly regarding the
> C3
> ?

You could try here,
www.corvetteforum.com

Durn flat tires. [email protected] Technology 0 February 5th 07 05:15 AM
Run Flat Tires Richard N. Paddock BMW 3 May 21st 06 11:04 PM
Run Flat Tires Richard N. Paddock BMW 5 May 21st 06 05:33 AM
Run Flat Tires TJB BMW 26 March 24th 06 01:05 PM
What do to do about flat spotted tires C. E. White Technology 25 January 1st 06 05:40 AM