Water Injection for 6L XJ engine?

Old May 11th 05, 07:29 PM
Spud

Default Water Injection for 6L XJ engine?

Like all the other XJs terrible gas mileage

Looking for those who have tried water/alcohol injection and like or dislike
it.
I believe the claims for increased power and carbon deposit removal, but
are the claims for increased fuel mileage bogus or true?

--
nospam ve7ifd at rac dot ca nospam: delete the nospams and you can figure
out the rest.

Old May 11th 05, 11:39 PM
Mike Romain

I am wondering what engine and vehicle you are talking about. My XJ
gets about 26+ US mpg running fully loaded at 75 mph...... I feel this
is good mileage and it is an old beastie with over 300K km on it.

Alcohol has way less BTU's per volume and when any mix is used in my CJ7
it cuts the gas mileage instantly by 30% and some mixes go 50% less. My
CJ7 gets 23 US mpg with real gasoline.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 11th 05, 11:58 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Mike,
Real gasoline, as opposed to ARCO's Kalifornia mix of ten percent
ethanol-alcohol?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 12th 05, 12:10 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Water will dissolve carbon, it is also what destroys engine that
only runs short distances without fully warming up to vaporize it and
raw gasoline to be sucked up by the positive Crankcase Ventilation.
Why don't you try a couple these snake oils, too:
http://poweraid.com/
http://www.esuperchargers.com/
http://www.kalecoauto.com/fluids.htm
http://www.splitfire.com/
http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com/272/...e190edf e767f
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...e=Perf ormics
What is it that the Barnum takes credit for, There's sucker born
every minute. Or a fool and their money are soon parted?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 12th 05, 04:49 AM
DougW

Spud did pass the time by typing:
> Like all the other XJs terrible gas mileage
>
> Looking for those who have tried water/alcohol injection and like or dislike
> it.
> I believe the claims for increased power and carbon deposit removal, but
> are the claims for increased fuel mileage bogus or true?

Never tried.

Water injection has been around for a looooooong time. Increased humidity
increases octane and allows for higher comression. While water injection
on a supercharged or turbocharged vehicle may be worthwhile I doubt it
will help much for a day-to-day driver unless you plan on using a lower
octane fuel and offsetting that with water injection.

Water injection systems are not cheap. Good ones run well over 300$.

Long term effects of water injection done properly should be minimal
as it's not much different than driving in the rain.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old May 12th 05, 06:46 AM
Will Honea

The old military recips used water injection for takeoff power but
pulled it off as soon as airborne so I doubt it added anything to fuel
efficiency. More likely it just allowed for more boost - some of
those suckers had blowers as big as the engine - without blowing the
heads off. AIR, it was only used for specific weights and density
altitude situations so there must have been a reason not to use it
every time. Stands to reason - anything that will take the carbon off
can't be gentle on the rest of the parts. Ever look at anything
exposed to superheated steam?

Old May 12th 05, 07:47 AM
Dave Milne

There's nothing wrong with the colourtune - it simply lets you find out that
the design of your intake manifold is crap ; the cylinders at the end burn a
bit lean and the ones in the middle burn a bit rich (on a single carb
engine).
Can be quite useful for setting up multi-carb engines though.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old May 12th 05, 02:14 PM
Snow

Early commercial jets used water injection for take off, it was used in hot
climates.

Snow...

Old May 12th 05, 04:54 PM
Spud

Mike:
My stock 78 Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton retired farm truck gets @ 10 mpg, I don't
consider that too bad for a
old clunker with full time 4WD. it's been a superbly reliable vehicle.
My wife's 93 Olds Cutlass Cierra gets @ 36 mpg. poorly designed front brake
calipers.
Our 73 Tioga Motorhome gets about 10 mpg. not bad for the amount of air it
pushes.
The stock XJ only gets @ 20 mpg., and it's smaller than the Olds.

I have had a Colourtune for 30 years, use it often, bought it new on
holidays in UK for $15.00cdn.
Great for outboards and motorcycles, 'Never seen anybody else use one.

Bill:
"Real Gas", remember it well, we had 7 gas tractors on the farm, I haven't
smelt that for years, yup
better mileage than the swampgas/propanized/ oxygenized stuff that seems to
be everywhere now and
it starts rotting in a months time if you don't add fuel pickler to it.

Spud

Old May 12th 05, 05:17 PM
Mike Romain

20 mpg is low for an XJ..... My CJ7 gets better than that. I do give
it new plugs and distributor cap and air filter every 2 years for the
emissions test, air filter more often usually.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's