best shocks

Old July 4th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Default best shocks

http://www.kybshocksonline.com/Prod_AGXSport.aspx

Anyone tried those for strut inserts on a 1303?
Old July 4th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Anybody know if any air shocks are still being made for bugs? My Baja
came with a pair of coil over shocks on the back and it's nearly ridged.

I have a set of KYB gas charged shocks I got off a bug I parted out a
while back and I tried a pair on the rear but the back sagged out too
much. I'm going to use one pair on the front when I change out the beam
later this summer. This still leaves the rear end stiff as a board...

Tony
Old July 5th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Anthony W wrote:
> Anybody know if any air shocks are still being made for bugs? My Baja
> came with a pair of coil over shocks on the back and it's nearly ridged.

I have a set on my car. Not sure of the brand, they were on it when I
bought the car. You'd probably be better off ordering correct springs
for the coil overs though.

Les
Old July 5th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_3_]

I recently sent a set of adjustable Monroes to someone for his beetle,
no idea how they work though. Maybe worth looking into. I'll try to dig
up the details

Old July 5th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_3_]

I think these went in the rear:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...QDY &v=glance

These went in the front:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...DER& v=glance

Now these were for a STD beetle, not super. Maybe they make strut
inserts for Supers too.

Jan

Old July 5th 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Busman

US 77 should have IRS so the straps shouldn't be needed. If it's a Mexican
77 it should still be swingaxle.
Andy

news

Old July 5th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

From the info in the listing, these don't fit AC VW's.

Tony

Old July 5th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

JC worthless has these air shocks but says they are only for 69 up.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/VW-Performa.../600015551.jcw

Does the swing axle take a different rear shock from the IRS bug?

Tony
Old July 5th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Jul 4, 9:39�pm, Anthony W > wrote:
> JC worthless has these air shocks but says they are only for 69 up.http://www.jcwhitney.com/VW-Performa...bers/600015551...
>
> Does the swing axle take a different rear shock from the IRS bug?
>
> Tony

rears shocks are the same, and will fit the front for the 65 down
bugs. 66 and up std beetles use different up front.

Mario
Old July 5th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

AFAIK I think that they are the same or similar enough.
I think that if the air shock has an external rubber/bladder/bellows(?) then
it might rub on the suspension as you bounce along.
I have seen this once on the swingaxles, but I have successfully installed
air shocks on the rear of my '72 Bradley GT ('67 Beetle). I think I did
have to replace one on this kit car but I might have used washers to space
the bellows away with the "new" shocks. They were inexpensive back then
too. Like $20 or $30 for a set of air shocks with installation kit.

I think I went with coil over rear shocks for both my '67 Beetle Conv & '66
Beetle and they had an adjustable perch to change the "height" of the bottom
of the coil.
This was from JCWhitney when they were still in Chicago. So that was a LONG
while ago! lol
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

95 GC Shocks Steve Kraus Jeep 3 October 25th 07 11:29 PM
Shocks Frank Berger Mazda 8 August 29th 07 05:28 AM
Shocks BAK Mazda 10 July 18th 06 04:05 AM
Self-leveling Shocks vs. Gas Shocks Scott BMW 6 September 14th 05 07:57 AM
so I need shocks Mythic Jeep 11 May 20th 05 01:51 PM