best shocks

Old July 4th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mel P.[_2_]

Default best shocks

Which brand are the best shocks for a Bug? I don't mind spending more if
the ride is smooth and soft. This is for my 77 Bug used for occasional
commute and weekend driver.

tia,

--
Mel P.

parts for sale http://melsvws.4t.com/vwparts/index.htm
77 Bug - stock FI http://melsvws.4t.com/77bug/index.htm
70 KG Cabrio http://melsvws.4t.com/70ghia/index.htm

Old July 4th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Jul 4, 5:47�am, "Mel P." > wrote:
> Which brand are the best shocks for a Bug? �I don't mind spending more if
> the ride is smooth and soft. �This is for my 77 Bug used for occasional
> commute and weekend driver.
>
> tia,
>
> --
> Mel P.

I think the Bilsteins are the best for comfort and handling.. the
KYB's are a little cheaper but also seem to give a stiffer ride.

Mario
Old July 4th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jul 4, 7:07*am, " > wrote:

> I think the Bilsteins are the best for comfort and handling.. the
> KYB's *are a little cheaper but also seem to give a stiffer ride.
>
> Mario

Those must be the easiest to steal.

Randy
Old July 4th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Cheap: Cofap,
Good Quality / Adjustable: KONI Red shocks.

Avoid gas charged shocks if you want a smooth ride.

Regards,
Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.

Old July 4th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

On Jul 4, 7:36*am, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote:
> Cheap: Cofap,
> Good Quality / Adjustable: *KONI Red shocks.
>
> Avoid gas charged shocks if you want a smooth ride.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Spiliotopoulos,
> '67 Bug.
>
> "Mel P." > wrote in message

> > Which brand are the best shocks for a Bug? *I don't mind spending more if
> > the ride is smooth and soft. *This is for my 77 Bug used for occasional
> > commute and weekend driver.

> > tia,

> > --
> > Mel P.

> > parts for sale *http://melsvws.4t.com/vwparts/index.htm
> > 77 Bug - stock FI *http://melsvws.4t.com/77bug/index.htm
> > 70 KG Cabrio *http://melsvws.4t.com/70ghia/index.htm

X2 on Cofap for smooth ride
Old July 4th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J. Berg

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:47:57 +0200, Mel P. > wrote:

> Which brand are the best shocks for a Bug? I don't mind spending more if
> the ride is smooth and soft. This is for my 77 Bug used for occasional
> commute and weekend driver.
>
> tia,

The cheap Cofabs up front, the only compatible shock for the front today.
Having said that, a yank -77 could very well be a strut carrying 1302 or
1303..
For the rear, use flopstops or limiting straps on a swing axle tranny. Use
KYB gas charged if you have a slightly soggy(bottom) rear..
J.

Old July 4th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Meyer

On Jul 4, 6:47*am, wrote:
> On Jul 4, 7:07*am, " > wrote:
>

> > I think the Bilsteins are the best for comfort and handling.. the
> > KYB's *are a little cheaper but also seem to give a stiffer ride.

> > Mario

> Those must be the easiest to steal.
>
> Randy

I get it. You're saying that because Mario is a documented thief.

I've had good experiences with KYB shocks, BTW.

*
*
Old July 4th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Mel P. wrote:
> Which brand are the best shocks for a Bug? I don't mind spending more if
> the ride is smooth and soft. This is for my 77 Bug used for occasional
> commute and weekend driver.
>
> tia,

I swear by the KYB gas shocks for the rear. If you're looking for
comfort, spend your effort on the front strut inserts as they do the
work you feel more than the rear.

For struts up front, I'm at a loss to recommend some. In my 1303s I've
tried the KYB greys, which I can not recommend as they're too stiff and
just get stiffer over time. I've tried the simple stock-type oil strut
inserts, but don't like the ride either..

Good strut inserts for the front? no idea..
Anyone else have advice?
Old July 4th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
trey

I have had good luck with KYB's. Right now, I am using FOA. You
probably dont want those.

But yah, KYB. Never had a pair screw me over. Or quit halfway through
the job. Good shocks.

Old July 4th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

trey wrote:

> But yah, KYB. Never had a pair screw me over. Or quit halfway through
> the job. Good shocks.

The KYB GR-2 (greys) strut inserts went stiff on me a year or so after
installing them. Go figure...

95 GC Shocks Steve Kraus Jeep 3 October 25th 07 11:29 PM
Shocks Frank Berger Mazda 8 August 29th 07 05:28 AM
Shocks BAK Mazda 10 July 18th 06 04:05 AM
Self-leveling Shocks vs. Gas Shocks Scott BMW 6 September 14th 05 07:57 AM
so I need shocks Mythic Jeep 11 May 20th 05 01:51 PM