? tire size '68 bug

Old June 28th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
mig

Default ? tire size '68 bug

Hi

I own a '68 Volkswagon automatic bug and need new tires. The tire
size is 165R/15, but they've discontinued that tire size and people at
Firestone & Goodyear shops couldn't tell me what size tire I needed.
Can someone recommend a replacement size?

Thanks a lot,

Mig
Old June 28th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_45_]

mig wrote:
> Hi
>
> I own a '68 Volkswagon automatic bug and need new tires. The tire
> size is 165R/15, but they've discontinued that tire size and people at
> Firestone & Goodyear shops couldn't tell me what size tire I needed.
> Can someone recommend a replacement size?

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=BWT0006

Be sure to get inner tubes, too.
Old June 28th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Busman

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...l &loadRank=2

Both Firestone and Goodyear should have been able to special order tires for
you. The size isn't discontinued (yet), just their brand is. Must have been
too busy to make any extra effort for a customer?
Andy

Old June 28th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Well I am not sure how good they are but jcwhitney.com has some tires in
that size
http://www.jcwhitney.com/REPLACEMENT...0307_10101.jcw
Buy 3 and get 1 free.
Also there might be some coupons for discounts on prices and shipping too!

just another option for you! ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old June 28th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_3_]

"John" > schreef in bericht
news
> mig wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I own a '68 Volkswagon automatic bug and need new tires. The tire
>> size is 165R/15, but they've discontinued that tire size and people at
>> Firestone & Goodyear shops couldn't tell me what size tire I needed.
>> Can someone recommend a replacement size?

> http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=BWT0006
>
> Be sure to get inner tubes, too.

I use tubeless on my '59. Stock rims. I'm told (8 years ago) that it is save
enough as long as the car isn't thrown around the corner (ie. normal
use/drive)

Roger

Old June 29th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"John" > wrote in message
news
> mig wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I own a '68 Volkswagon automatic bug and need new tires. The tire
>> size is 165R/15, but they've discontinued that tire size and people at
>> Firestone & Goodyear shops couldn't tell me what size tire I needed.
>> Can someone recommend a replacement size?

> http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=BWT0006
>
> Be sure to get inner tubes, too.

might need the tubes on a volkswagon, but on a volkswagen, all the fatties
have the beadlock rims for tubeless tires...

to the OP, if your local tire guys are too lazy to help you out, several
folks have posted links...here's another:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...All&loadRank=2

if you like the classic look of whitewalls(and wide whitewalls) try
www.cokertire.com
http://store.coker.com/search.php?mo...bstring=165R15

E30 Tire size Matt Warren BMW 13 July 6th 06 06:44 PM
rim and tire size/ size lift Jon Jeep 8 February 27th 06 02:00 PM
F-150 -89 max tire size Riku Ihalainen 4x4 0 January 18th 06 07:11 PM
205/40/16 or 205/45/16 tire size? pws Mazda 6 December 23rd 05 11:08 PM
TJ Tire Size Steve G Jeep 22 September 23rd 05 04:16 AM