Noisy diff, need part# for updated lube

Old August 13th 08, 05:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Yamaha Rider

Default Noisy diff, need part# for updated lube

C-5 has loud differential / and or / rear axle noise, anybody know
p/n for updated fluid ?
GM mentioned C-6 and Cadillac XLR in service bulletin for this.
My local dealer said... huh ?

Old August 13th 08, 11:04 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
TCW

"Yamaha Rider" > wrote in message
> C-5 has loud differential / and or / rear axle noise, anybody know
> p/n for updated fluid ?
> GM mentioned C-6 and Cadillac XLR in service bulletin for this.
> My local dealer said... huh ?

GM part number 88862624 (US-1 Quart) DEXRONŽ LS Gear Oil

Have your dealer look at TSB 07.04.20.002A

Old August 13th 08, 08:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

>> C-5 has loud differential / and or / rear axle noise, anybody know
>> p/n for updated fluid ?
>> GM mentioned C-6 and Cadillac XLR in service bulletin for this.
>> My local dealer said... huh ?

> GM part number 88862624 (US-1 Quart) DEXRONŽ LS Gear Oil
>
> Have your dealer look at TSB 07.04.20.002A

I think he is referencing a recall. They changed my limited slip clutch
plates and installed the new lube.
Didn't make difference. Still makes a little noise in a tight turn. Big
deal.

Ed

Old August 13th 08, 10:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Yamaha Rider" > wrote in message
> C-5 has loud differential / and or / rear axle noise,
> anybody know
> p/n for updated fluid ?
> GM mentioned C-6 and Cadillac XLR in service bulletin for
> this.
> My local dealer said... huh ?

if ya got a c5 ?
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the c6 service
buletins.

for the c6;
Important: DO NOT add any limited-slip additive (friction
modifier). With this new fluid (Dexron LS Gear Oil 75W-90)
it is no longer required to add friction modifier. If
friction modifier is added, it will cause the fluid to lose
some of it's friction reducing properties as well as
reducing seal life.

Fill the differential with the new DEXRONŽ LS gear oil, P/N
88862624 (Canadian P/N 88862625). Refer to the table listed
below for lubrication specifications.

2004-2005 XLR (Including Export) and 2005 Corvette (Non
Export)
1.72 liters
1.85 quarts

2006-2008 Corvette Export (Non Z06)
2.16 liters
2.28 quarts

2006-2008 Corvette Z06
2.75 liters
2.91 quarts

Parts Information:
Part Numbers:
88862624 (US-1 Quart)
88862625 (Canada-1 Liter)

above info from:
http://www.southerncarparts.com/info...hp?pages_id=43

my2˘
--
'Key
=====

Old August 13th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Big Al[_3_]

"Spud" > wrote in message

>>> C-5 has loud differential / and or / rear axle noise, anybody know
>>> p/n for updated fluid ?
>>> GM mentioned C-6 and Cadillac XLR in service bulletin for this.
>>> My local dealer said... huh ?

>> GM part number 88862624 (US-1 Quart) DEXRONŽ LS Gear Oil
>>
>> Have your dealer look at TSB 07.04.20.002A
>>

> I think he is referencing a recall. They changed my limited slip clutch
> plates and installed the new lube.
> Didn't make difference. Still makes a little noise in a tight turn. Big
> deal.
>
> Ed

Making noise in a tight turn is a lube problem. Didn't see where he said
that. In a straight line it's the ring and pinion gears or a bearing. Doubt
if fluid will help unless it's low.

Al

Old August 15th 08, 04:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Yamaha Rider

Thanks for ideas and insight guys, I will try GM's latest snake oil,
in a week or so, then post results.
Joe in CA

Old August 16th 08, 04:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Aug 13, 5:42*pm, "'Key" > wrote:
> "Yamaha Rider" > wrote in message

> > *C-5 has loud differential / and or / rear axle noise,
> > anybody know
> > p/n for updated fluid ?
> > *GM mentioned C-6 and Cadillac XLR in service bulletin for
> > this.
> > * My local dealer said... huh ?

> if ya got a c5 ?
> I wouldn't pay too much attention to the c6 service
> buletins.
>
> for the c6;
> Important: DO NOT add any limited-slip additive (friction
> modifier). With this new fluid (Dexron LS Gear Oil 75W-90)
> it is no longer required to add friction modifier. If
> friction modifier is added, it will cause the fluid to lose
> some of it's friction reducing properties as well as
> reducing seal life.
>
> Fill the differential with the new DEXRONŽ LS gear oil, P/N
> 88862624 (Canadian P/N 88862625). Refer to the table listed
> below for lubrication specifications.
>
> 2004-2005 XLR (Including Export) and 2005 Corvette (Non
> Export)
> 1.72 liters
> 1.85 quarts
>
> 2006-2008 Corvette Export (Non Z06)
> 2.16 liters
> 2.28 quarts
>
> 2006-2008 Corvette Z06
> 2.75 liters
> 2.91 quarts
>
> Parts Information:
> Part Numbers:
> 88862624 (US-1 Quart)
> 88862625 (Canada-1 Liter)
>
> above info from:http://www.southerncarparts.com/info...hp?pages_id=43
>
> my2˘
> --
> 'Key
> =====

after fluid change go to a big parking lot and do slow large figure
"8" s to get the new fluid between the posi plate
Old August 23rd 08, 02:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"TCW" > wrote in message

> "Yamaha Rider" > wrote in message
>> C-5 has loud differential / and or / rear axle noise, anybody
>> know
>> p/n for updated fluid ?
>> GM mentioned C-6 and Cadillac XLR in service bulletin for this.
>> My local dealer said... huh ?

> GM part number 88862624 (US-1 Quart) DEXRONŽ LS Gear Oil
>
> Have your dealer look at TSB 07.04.20.002A

While they're looking up that TSB have them look up TSB 07-04-95-001A
May 29, 2008 (Replace wheel drive shaft nut) [2]. Can become very
noisy if loose and they have changed the torque spec from 118 ft/lb
(160 N-m) to 160 ft/lb (215 N-m) plus the addition of a thread locker
(272 Loctite), 34 M/M socket required. Been there, done that, thought
I'd lost a CV joint on the outside end of the wheel drive shaft.

Also Mobile 1 LS 75W90 gear lube is a replacement for the 88862624 GM
lube and is half the price, includes the friction modifier, sold at
Advance Auto. Note the "LS" designation in both the gear lubes.
Working fine so far, will certainly say something if it doesn't
continue to do so.

Trans & Diff lube Clark Friedrichs Mazda 3 March 27th 08 03:40 PM
Noisy transmission bearings vs noisy diff: how to tell Tegger Technology 12 December 12th 07 05:56 PM
diff/trans lube Gary Jeep 3 October 14th 06 04:43 AM
Use Limited Diff Lube Only Tag Question JeePenn Jeep 46 May 18th 05 05:36 AM
Changing rear diff fluid (91 XJ): don't want to R&R the diff cover... Doug Jeep 11 May 7th 05 06:21 AM