32 PDSIT,s

Old July 1st 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Default 32 PDSIT,s

I,ve got a spare set of thse carbies for my T3. On the plate that is
immediately above inlet manifold ( ie most bottom part of carbie) there is a
bimetal strip that opens a vent when hot that seems to bleed air into the
inlet manifold. Makes mixture leaner when hot????. Never seen it before on
any of my T3,s/ Beetles. Never seen it referred to in any literature.
Anyone got any ideas?
John

Old July 1st 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J. Berg

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:00:09 +0200, John > wrote:

> I,ve got a spare set of thse carbies for my T3. On the plate that is
> immediately above inlet manifold ( ie most bottom part of carbie) there
> is a
> bimetal strip that opens a vent when hot that seems to bleed air into the
> inlet manifold. Makes mixture leaner when hot????. Never seen it before
> on
> any of my T3,s/ Beetles. Never seen it referred to in any literature.
> Anyone got any ideas?
> John

Did they come with a balancing tube like the later T4 engines?

J.

Old July 2nd 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Yep, its got balancing tubes but this bimetal strip is actually part of the
carbie. Not sure (if they did) why they would make a "special" for
Australia.
John

Old July 2nd 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J. Berg

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:37:03 +0200, John > wrote:

> Yep, its got balancing tubes but this bimetal strip is actually part of
> the
> carbie. Not sure (if they did) why they would make a "special" for
> Australia.
> John

Could it be that you only have a choke function/adjustment on one carb,
and the bimetal job opens after initial warmup?
I'm guessing here..

J.

Old July 2nd 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

You,re right there , they do open up when engine is well and truly warm. The
vent that it opens up goes straight into the throat of carbie. Apart from
this both carbies are exactly the same as all other, both have chokes, usual
mixture, idle adjusts . Yonks ago I had contact with a bloke who worked for
Solex and even he hadn,t heard of it. Makes me wonder whether it was some
odd mod for Aust though never saw it on any other of my 4 T3,s
John