328i 17" performance wheels and ice/snow

Old August 19th 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
daytripper

Default 328i 17" performance wheels and ice/snow

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 00:12:55 GMT, dizzy > wrote:

>Pete wrote:
>
>> I don't care how many sipes you put on a Bridgestone
>>S03 - it will still be aweful when the temps drop because it'll turn into a
>>hockey puck.

>Hehe. I have S03's on my Supra. They're hideous if temps get even
>close to freezing. I won't be buying them again.

Well, credit where credit is due, you're right on this one. S03s *really*
dislike cold pavement, and if you know it's gonna be near freezing (or worse,
snowing) and you're driving on S03s you deserve whatever befalls you (but pity
for anyone you run into). But then, close to freezing or below is what the
third car in the driveway is for ;-)

I've been running S03s for the last 15K miles, replaced a set of S02s. I
*love* the S03s as long as the road temperature is above 40F.

Above that, they stick like kittens on curtains and make any highway ramp an
E-ticket ride. Did you know you can do a tail-out powered drift in an S4? :-)

Below that, they're down right dangerous, and you'll find me in my Hemi
Durango.

They're also not the quietest tires in the shop, for certain.
I've found going faster helps...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old August 19th 07, 07:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"dizzy" > wrote
> Floyd Rogers wrote:
>>"brett" > wrote
>>> Solution found - 328xi. All wheel drive with 17" wheels and all
>>> season tires. That's the standard sports package on an xi.

>>That's essentially what I have - an '01 330xi. It's adequate in
>>snow, great balance on wet and dry roads. I put snow tires on
>>in winter for the exceptional conditions I drive in.

> You live out in the boondocks?
>
> As a city-dweller, I've found that, if you put-forth the effort of
> putting on *real* Winter tires, AWD is not needed.

My cabin is on an unplowed Forest Service road in the mountains.
Our 2nd house is over 1/4 mile up an unplowed road, also in the mts.
The ski area I work at in the winter is 8 miles and 2000' higher than
my cabin. I guarantee you that I drive in almost the most extreme
snow conditions possible. I love smoking big honking SUVs with
their all-season knobby's.

FloydR