Warning :VW Jetta "All Window Open" Feature may make your car vulnerable to thieves

Old October 31st 05, 03:48 PM

Default Warning :VW Jetta "All Window Open" Feature may make your car vulnerable to thieves

IMPORTANT WARNING TO VW OWNERS WITH POWER WINDOWS!!!

I have a 2000 Jetta 4dr with power windows. A month ago I woke to find
that all my windows were open. My car had been thoroughly rifled
through and anything of value stolen, however the doors were still
locked and the alarm was armed. The trunk and it's contents were safe.
Although I was certain all windows were closed the night before, the
lack of any physical tampering made me wonder if the "all window open"
feature may be malfunctioning.

This morning I discovered that it was probably not a malfunction. Once
again, the windows were all open, the car had been rummaged through
(though this time I left nothing for them to steal). This time
however, it was clear that they had gone through the driver side key
lock, as there is significant damage to it. There is something stuck
inside the key hole, and the trim is completely damaged.

I spoke to a mechanic briefly and he believes they were able to
"hotwire" the all window open switch. Apparently this does not require
security authorization from the transponder chip in the key nor does it
require the alarm be disarmed, which is why the alarm did not go off.
They were careful not to open any doors or the trunk which would have
set off the alarm. My street alternates parking from one side of the
street to the other every 2 weeks and both times this happened the
driver door was on the sidewalk side, providing better cover for them
to work the door lock.

Don't assume your factory alarm is going to prevent this from
happening, it appears that as long as they can hotwire the all window
feature open switch, they can open your windows and help themself to
whatever they can grab.

Anyone have any suggestions to fix this? I am going to remove the fuse
for the windows until I can have a mechanic look at it, and hopefully
cut the wire that supports this feature in the doorlock. In the
meantime, I am going to write VW a letter about this and I recommend
all VW owners with this feature in their cars do the same.

Thanks for listening.

Old November 1st 05, 12:40 AM
Lost In Space

The door lock doesn't know the difference if the key cylinder is turned with
your key or is forced and held in the open position. Such as drilling it
out and using a large flat blade screwdriver. In order to get the windows to
auto down the door is unlocked first. Once the door is unlocked... the alarm
will not go off. Send me a picture of the damaged lock/handle and then I can
comment. Sorry to here your misfortunes

oups.com...

Old November 1st 05, 01:01 AM
SteveH

> wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions to fix this? I am going to remove the fuse
> for the windows until I can have a mechanic look at it, and hopefully
> cut the wire that supports this feature in the doorlock. In the
> meantime, I am going to write VW a letter about this and I recommend
> all VW owners with this feature in their cars do the same.

The window opening can be disabled by a VW dealer or by using VAG-COM.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old November 1st 05, 01:35 AM
René

Indeed: http://regio-aktuell24.de/storepics/...70426-4133.jpg

Old November 1st 05, 05:01 AM
FormerlyHappyJettaOwner

The first time this happened there was no visible damage/tampering and
the door was still locked. This time, there is a lot of damage to the
keyhole, and the door was still locked, I had to use the remote to
unlock the door. Will post a pic as soon as I can. Thanks for your
comments!