Will iRacing ever produce a PC sim ?

Old September 9th 05, 07:56 PM
jason moyer

Sidney H Bridge wrote:

> A sim? Please tell me you're joking!

So you think Revs was a sim, but GP4 wasn't?

Wtf?

Old September 9th 05, 07:57 PM
Mitch_A

As we get closer to reality the margin between groundbreaking and just
another racing sim has blurred to the point of invisibility. This is one
reason why there can never be another GPL no matter how great the current
sim is.

Mitch

.uk...

Old September 9th 05, 08:05 PM
jason moyer

Sidney H Bridge wrote:

> Yes. Sunny or cloudy. No rain, though - yet!

So what exactly can it do that you can't do in N2003, weather-wise?

Old September 10th 05, 10:05 PM
Sidney H Bridge

Tony Rickard wrote:
> Mitch_A wrote:
>
>> Ive seen all kinds in here over the last decade but comparing GP4 to
>> rFactor takes the grand prize.
>>
>> Even ymenards self proclaimed presidency of ras looks sane by
>> comparison, hehe.

> Although I see Jason's point that GP4 was a complete F1 package. Fully
> working AI, all the tracks, excellent weather and a degree of atmosphere.
>
> rFactor is much more of a tool to build your own package, partly due to
> the limited tracks for a championship but mostly due to the AI not being
> consistently up to scratch. Initially this is a bit of a disappointment.
> However, once online in the OW trainers the disappointment goes away and
> the realisation that all that is needed is the tool for leagues and
> modders to do their stuff to complete the package.
>
> rFactor feels a bit lightweight compared to the milestone releases in
> the past, yet I believe it will be a milestone in the history of OW sim
> racing along with Indy 500, F1GP, ICR, GP2 and GPL on my list at least.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!
Old September 10th 05, 11:04 PM
Tony Rickard

Sidney H Bridge wrote:

>> rFactor feels a bit lightweight compared to the milestone releases in
>> the past, yet I believe it will be a milestone in the history of OW
>> sim racing along with Indy 500, F1GP, ICR, GP2 and GPL on my list at
>> least.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tony

> No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!

I pondered over that one. I still think it was a major release but came
out just before accelerated graphics cards started to be released. Plus
it was the first real F1 sim for 4 years. After that we had a string of
them. Regardless of its shortcomings I think it was a milestone, just a
shortlived one. The millstone was the fact that the shortcomings carried
over into the later releases not on my list!

Cheers
Tony
Old September 11th 05, 12:15 AM
Praxiteles Democritus

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:05:40 GMT, Sidney H Bridge
> wrote:

>No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!

Bet you never even played it. GP2 was very popular around here. For
it's day it was very good.
Old September 11th 05, 01:19 AM
jason moyer

Sidney H Bridge wrote:

> No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!

When GP2 came out, what was better?

Old September 11th 05, 03:34 AM
Steve Simpson

>> No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!
>
> When GP2 came out, what was better?

Need for Speed (I'm serious)
Old September 11th 05, 03:37 AM
Steve Simpson

> I pondered over that one. I still think it was a major release but came
> out just before accelerated graphics cards started to be released. Plus
> it was the first real F1 sim for 4 years. After that we had a string of
> them. Regardless of its shortcomings I think it was a milestone, just a
> shortlived one. The millstone was the fact that the shortcomings carried
> over into the later releases not on my list!

Agreed. I was actually a GP2 fan but it arrived about a year late for
what it was. GP3 & GP4 were disappointing because the physics were
basically the same as GP2 which had been stomped by Papy with GPL.
Old September 11th 05, 05:35 AM
Byron Forbes

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sidney H Bridge wrote:
>
>> Yes. Sunny or cloudy. No rain, though - yet!

> So what exactly can it do that you can't do in N2003, weather-wise?

Nothing yet, but weather is planned for future patches/upgrades or
whatever.