Handing in my homework assignment

Old May 14th 05, 08:37 PM
Shag

Default Handing in my homework assignment

As demanded by Jan (and ahead of schedule...)

http://railadventures.dyndns.org/rai.../shopfun1.html

Old May 14th 05, 08:53 PM
Jan Andersson

Shag wrote:

> As demanded by Jan (and ahead of schedule...)
> >
> >Expect to see a full report with photos on my desk first thing in the
> >morning. DiiiisMISSSed!
> >

> >Jan

> http://railadventures.dyndns.org/rai.../shopfun1.html

Oh yea, your backfiring problem is due to RUNNING LEAN.

And, as you may already know, it will cause a major MELTDOWN if you keep
driving the car like that.

The REASON for your backfire and lean condition is the STINGER: It has
virtually ZERO backpressure/restriction, so the jets that were in the
carb before, when the engine had a normal muffler, are now TOO SMALL.

Go up "5" or even "10" on your MAIN jets (your Dellorto has two) to fix
this problem. Also if you have idle mixture screws, turn them OUT so you
get to the point where idle speed has just reached it's highest point.

Centermount carbs systems need to be jetted a little too rich for them
to work acceptably well.

I have a feeling you will notice a definite improvement in driveability
and power when you jet the carb to match the exhaust system.

If you don't fix the lean condition, you WILL BREAK the engine. There's
no question. It can happen during your next off-road adventure, or it
might take a few months. You never know.

But backfiring is a clear indicator, and I know you have gone from a
"regular" muffler to a stinger recently so it is guaranteed that your
engine is running leaner now.

Jan
Old May 14th 05, 09:02 PM
Shag

On Sat, 14 May 2005 22:53:27 +0300, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

>Shag wrote:
>>
>> As demanded by Jan (and ahead of schedule...)
>> >
>> >Expect to see a full report with photos on my desk first thing in the
>> >morning. DiiiisMISSSed!
>> >

>> >Jan

>> http://railadventures.dyndns.org/rai.../shopfun1.html

>Oh yea, your backfiring problem is due to RUNNING LEAN.
>
>And, as you may already know, it will cause a major MELTDOWN if you keep
>driving the car like that.
>

>The REASON for your backfire and lean condition is the STINGER: It has
>virtually ZERO backpressure/restriction, so the jets that were in the
>carb before, when the engine had a normal muffler, are now TOO SMALL.

My stinger has a baffle in it that's wrapped in fiberglass... And the
engine doesn't backfire "normally" but only "every now and then" it
just starts to do it. It was backfiring before I ever put the stinger
on. As a matter of fact it has only done the "backfiring thing" one
time with the stinger on, and that was when it blew the baffle out.
It did "the backfiring thing" a half dozen times with the old muffler
in place... I have an extra neck piece of exhaust on order right now
and as soon as it gets here I'm going to put on a quiet muffler (same
exact one as the one I took off of it, only chrome) and will see how
it does with that one...

Old May 14th 05, 09:24 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> Oh yea, your backfiring problem is due to RUNNING LEAN.
>
> And, as you may already know, it will cause a major MELTDOWN if you keep
> driving the car like that.
>

> The REASON for your backfire and lean condition is the STINGER: It has
> virtually ZERO backpressure/restriction, so the jets that were in the
> carb before, when the engine had a normal muffler, are now TOO SMALL.
>
> Go up "5" or even "10" on your MAIN jets (your Dellorto has two) to fix
> this problem. Also if you have idle mixture screws, turn them OUT so you
> get to the point where idle speed has just reached it's highest point.
>
> Centermount carbs systems need to be jetted a little too rich for them
> to work acceptably well.
>
> I have a feeling you will notice a definite improvement in driveability
> and power when you jet the carb to match the exhaust system.
>
> If you don't fix the lean condition, you WILL BREAK the engine. There's
> no question. It can happen during your next off-road adventure, or it
> might take a few months. You never know.
>
> But backfiring is a clear indicator, and I know you have gone from a
> "regular" muffler to a stinger recently so it is guaranteed that your
> engine is running leaner now.

Jan makes excellent points Shag...how were your plugs before you switched
exhaust systems?....it is not uncommon for a large centermount to run overly
rich anyway, and if yours was it may not be as dire as Jan is suggesting(not
disagreeing with you Jan) but needs to be checked out....did the backfiring
start after the exhaust change? if so make sure all connections are air
tight....dell jets are still available, but try to get a "ballpark" you need
before randomly buying jets...i have the dell super book from cb(bought it
about 15 years ago with a big centermount 45drla) it has some charts that
may help pinpoint a "ballpark" setting on jets...

Old May 14th 05, 09:36 PM
Shag

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:24:00 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>Jan makes excellent points Shag...how were your plugs before you switched
>exhaust systems?....it is not uncommon for a large centermount to run overly
>rich anyway, and if yours was it may not be as dire as Jan is suggesting(not
>disagreeing with you Jan) but needs to be checked out....did the backfiring
>start after the exhaust change?

No. Absolutely not. I have only driven the vehicle about 10 miles at
the most since I put the stinger on, even. I drove it to the trails
once and back, and I drove it about a mile from my house before the
rail started running so badly that I knew I couldn't make it to my
destination so I turned around and came home. That's when it was
backfiring. The time I took it to the trails and back I didn't have
any trouble with backfiring at all. Before I swapped out my exhaust
system I'd already experienced the backfiring on several occasions. I
still DO know Jan is right that I'm running more lean than I was, and
plan on going back to a more restrictive muffler as soon as the one
last part I need to do that comes in (probably middle of next week) so
I'll play it safe and not run with the stinger at all any more.

Old May 15th 05, 04:30 AM
MUADIB®

>http://railadventures.dyndns.org/rai.../shopfun1.html

Um,..............we usually kept the mud out of our hair by wearing a
helmet...............You should have one for riding the MC anyway.

USE IT!

( your business,..... I know. But this is very good advice for cleaner
hair. I learned it from Martha Stewart.)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old May 15th 05, 12:27 PM
Shag

On Sun, 15 May 2005 03:30:28 GMT, MUADIB®
> wrote:

>>http://railadventures.dyndns.org/rai.../shopfun1.html

>Um,..............we usually kept the mud out of our hair by wearing a
>helmet...............You should have one for riding the MC anyway.

I included it with the dirtbike I traded for the rail.

>USE IT!

You sure you want to get on the subject of helmets? NC is this
---><--- close to changing the helmet law here so that 21 years or
older riders are not required to wear them any more. Just figured I'd
throw that out in case someone wanted to discuss it. :-)

Old May 15th 05, 04:25 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> You sure you want to get on the subject of helmets? NC is this
> ---><--- close to changing the helmet law here so that 21 years or
> older riders are not required to wear them any more. Just figured I'd
> throw that out in case someone wanted to discuss it. :-)

that's cool....they should also not make seatbelts mandatory....I'm all for
everyone's freedom to do things the way they want...hell I don't think they
should mandate safety standards for cars/trucks either....bicycles on the
interstate would be a welcomed obstacle .

Old May 15th 05, 04:36 PM
Tim Rogers

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> that's cool....they should also not make seatbelts mandatory....I'm all

for
> everyone's freedom to do things the way they want...hell I don't think

they
> should mandate safety standards for cars/trucks either....bicycles on the
> interstate would be a welcomed obstacle .

..................Bicycles are so slow and hard to see that it's difficult to
see whether they're complying with the helmet law before you run over them.

Old May 15th 05, 05:02 PM
MUADIB®

>You sure you want to get on the subject of helmets? NC is this
>---><--- close to changing the helmet law here so that 21 years or
>older riders are not required to wear them any more. Just figured I'd
>throw that out in case someone wanted to discuss it. :-)

Laws and safety are not at all the same thing. I figure,
"Use your head and use your helmet" is a good slogan.

It's your Skull dued. ( mispelled on purpose )