California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests

Old September 7th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests

P. Roehling > wrote:

>The assumption that the tests *must* be unfair because the poster couldn't
>pass them gives us a snapshot of the current American attitude towards life:
>"I'm entitled to be given whatever I want. I shouldn't have to *earn*
>anything!"

Well, this is America where driving is a right and not a privilege. It's
against the American way to discriminate against age, race, religion or
ability when driving is concerned. A quick look at our highways will show
you the results.
--scott

Old September 7th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,ba.motorcycles
Scott Dorsey

Jim Benson > wrote:
>Again, the failure rate, I'm estimating from my observations, is somewhere
>in the range of 95% on bikes over a liter, given an impartial observer
>(everyone things they winged it when they get to be their own judge).

I don't know about bike riders, but I think that's about the right failure
rate for auto drivers. That is, about 95% of the people currently driving
automobiles are not competent to be on the road.

I suspect the level of competence of motorcycle riders is actually a little
higher than four-wheelers.

>It would be nice to choose a date and a place, and all riders show up with
>a hundred bucks cash, put it in the bucket, and whoever can pass the test
>on their first run in a liter sized road bike, takes the cash home.
>
>Does anyone wish to organize that?
>
>I'll bet your eyes and mouth would be agape at the results!

If you think a 95% failure rate is bad, you should SEE the European driving
tests.
--scott
Old September 7th 07, 04:29 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
barb

Timberwoof wrote:
> In article >,
> pinbob > wrote:
>
>> I would like to collect in one place for a friend and all new friends out
>> there the very hidden California DMV motorcycle and driving tests,
>> completely and fairly.
>>
>> As you all know, the California Motorcycle Riding Test is nearly impossible
>> to pass when done on your own (everyone passes when they are the sole judge
>> but almost everyone on a big bike fails because the test is well known to
>> be ridiculous and only for the purpose of funneling money to the MSF
>> "BasicRider" class which is a scam in and of itself).

> Why do you think the MSF BasicRider class is a scam? How do you know?
> Have you taken it? Have you observed it? Have you asked people who took
> it?
>
>> Worse than being impossible, the California DMV absolutely REFUSES to tell
>> you what the test is, even if you fail one of the four parts, they won't
>> tell you what the next part is - and you only get three tries overall.
>>
>> So, the ONLY way to know what the text actually consists of is to get it
>> HERE!
>> http://www.ducatigirl.com/california/dmv_moto_test.pdf
>>
>> Since the California DMV forbids you practicing the test,

> Hah. They forbid you practicing the test on their course. They cannot
> forbid you reproducing the track and practicing on your own.

How can they forbid you to play on their parking lot when they're closed?

--
barb
Chaplain, ARSCCwdne

buy my book!
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1198812

read my blog!
http://xenubarb.blogspot.com/
Old September 7th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written...

alt.scooter newsgroup.I don't doubt there are some motorcycle newsgroups
on the internet too.I own a 1961 made in Germany Hercules Moped, has a
Sachs engine on it, it has bicycle pedals on it too.It runs good.
cuhulin

Old September 7th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
P. Roehling

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote

> Heh. Actually the problem with the bicycle bit came up with our 9 year
> old recently. He wanted a new bike. I took a look at what the average
> sale price of what he wanted new was, it was about $59.99. Well back in
> 1977
> when I was his age and wanted roughly the equivalent kind of bike, the
> sale price as I recall was about $109.99 since I did in fact save up for
> it
> at that time. You see, back then they still made bicycles in the USA...
>
> Including inflation into the picture it really didn't make any sense at
> all
> have him "save up" for what amounted to pocket change in 1977 dollars.
>
> So I said hell with it, bought a used version of what he wanted off
> craigslist for $35, gave it to him, and sold his old bike on craigslist
> for
> $20 and figured if I just drove easy on the gas pedal for a week I would
> have paid for the delta on the bike prices.
>
> There's plenty of other stuff much more expensive than $15 that he
> wants that we play the savings game with than a bicycle.

Yup. Times have changed just a bit since the early 1950's when I never got
the bike I lusted after.

The one I wanted was one of the first 10-speeds I'd ever seen -an import-
as this was way back when single-speed Schwinns were about the only thing
made in America. If I recall correctly, it would have cost me about
sixty-five dollars then; which would probably be several hundred bucks in
today's inflated economy.

Ah well, bikes are like girls: the one you never quite got is somehow the
one you remember most fondly. Probably because you never had the chance to
actually live with her, er, it.

Old September 7th 07, 07:31 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
Patti Beadles

In article >,
Jim Smith > wrote:

>I'm not sure about the dimensions of the MSF box but we know the dimensions
>of the circle and the testing criteria (20 feet + one tiny mistake and you
>fail).

In reality, it's tester's discretion to some extent.

When I took the test, I nailed it pefectly the first time except
that I put my foot down just a couple feet early on the way
out... on the straight section, no less. She looked at me,
smiled, and said, "try that again, eh?" I did. I passed.

I doubt most graders will fail you for a slight wobble outside
the lines as long as you do the rest of it well.

-Patti
--
Patti Beadles, Oakland, CA |
pattib~pattib.org | All religions are equally
Old September 7th 07, 09:38 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
Dave[_48_]

"sqidbait" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> You DON'T understand! It's so DIFFICULT that no
> HUMAN BEING could HOPE to ride it, even if they
> were on a BICYCLE! Hell, I bet most PEOPLE
> wouldn't be able to WALK it! It's all a giant
> PLOT between the MSF, the DMV, and HALIBURTON!

No, you don't understand: IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

If you practice low-speed maneuvers, you CAN do it. **** I did it on an
ancient CB900. That is one helluva top-heavy pig. Failed twice because I
was too proud to admit that with my years of experience I wasn't good enough
to pass. Just get some obstacles, plastic cups, cones, paint, blocks of
wood, doesn't matter. Space them ~12' apart, draw yourself a two circles at
the end about 2'3" apart, and PRACTICE IT. NOBODY does low-speed maneuvers
well without practicing, dumbass! You don't have to practice THEIR EXACT
COURSE. If you can weave around cones and drive between lines at low speed,
the spacing is not critical. Just practice. I did two nights of practice,
about an hour each night. Done like dinner. Nailed the test, it actually
felt fairly easy to do.

And as far as practicing the course, JUST GO TO THE DMV parking lot where
the course is set up after hours. You will NOT be arrested, REALLY the cops
have better things to do with their time.

Old September 7th 07, 09:38 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
Beav

"David Steuber" > wrote in message
> pinbob > writes:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 20:57:15 GMT, pinbob wrote:
>> If you have the REAL statistics of the percentage of riders who pass and
>> fail the Ca dmv motorcycle test - please post as it is the general
>> assumption more than 99% of experienced riders on super-liter bikes can
>> not
>> pass this ridiculous test.

> I was surprised to find out that the R1 has a dry weight that is some
> 30 lbs lighter than the dry weight of my budget bike.

But it's got no steering lock.

--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19

Old September 7th 07, 09:51 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
Patti Beadles

In article <nFiEi.22560$Pd4.4323@edtnps82>, Dave > wrote:

>And as far as practicing the course, JUST GO TO THE DMV parking lot where
>the course is set up after hours. You will NOT be arrested, REALLY the cops
>have better things to do with their time.

Unless you're rude, the worst possible outcome seems like it
would be being asked to leave.

"Oh, hello officer! I was just practicing my low-speed handling
skills and obstacle avoidance, and this seemed like an excellent
way to do it."

-Patti
Old September 7th 07, 10:48 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
sqidbait

On Sep 7, 1:38 pm, "Dave" > wrote:
> "sqidbait" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > You DON'T understand! It's so DIFFICULT that no
> > HUMAN BEING could HOPE to ride it, even if they
> > were on a BICYCLE! Hell, I bet most PEOPLE
> > wouldn't be able to WALK it! It's all a giant
> > PLOT between the MSF, the DMV, and HALIBURTON!

> No, you don't understand: IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

[snip]

You may want to go re-read my post. I think
your Sarcasometer(tm) is broken.

Heck, I mentioned Haliburton FFS!

-- Michael