Rear ended...

Old November 4th 05, 09:28 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Default Rear ended...

Well... my son got rear ended today in our 86 GTI no real visable damage
except for the bumper pushed in... got a estimate (other guy has no insurance)
and it was $1,679!!!!

http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/vw.jpg

The Buick that hit him was in much worse shape...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old November 4th 05, 11:28 PM
Joseph Meehan

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
> Well... my son got rear ended today in our 86 GTI no real visable
> damage except for the bumper pushed in... got a estimate (other guy
> has no insurance) and it was $1,679!!!!
>
> http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/vw.jpg
>
> The Buick that hit him was in much worse shape...

I got hit from behind by a cop once. I was driving a Mazda 626. He
told me to send him the bill. It turned out that the total repair cost was
$7.50 for a couple of deformed foam blocks. I did not bother sending the
bill. It is good to know that not all small bumps end up expensive. Sorry
to hear about the cost of yours.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old November 5th 05, 12:30 AM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Chicago Paddling-Fishing > wrote:
>Well... my son got rear ended today in our 86 GTI no real visable damage
>except for the bumper pushed in... got a estimate (other guy has no insurance)
>and it was $1,679!!!!
>
>http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/vw.jpg

No insurance. $1679 is a total rip. You are getting shafted at least half
the price. I don't see any major damage. Buy a body repair hammer tool kit
and fix it yourself.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old November 5th 05, 02:29 AM
Matt B.

"Peter Parker" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Chicago Paddling-Fishing > wrote:
>>Well... my son got rear ended today in our 86 GTI no real visable damage
>>except for the bumper pushed in... got a estimate (other guy has no
>>insurance)
>>and it was $1,679!!!!
>>
>>http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/vw.jpg

> No insurance. $1679 is a total rip. You are getting shafted at least half
> the price. I don't see any major damage. Buy a body repair hammer tool kit
> and fix it yourself.

The bumper itself shouldn't be more than $200-300 for the part and it should
bolt right up.

The rear body panel is partially accessible through the trunk. you might be
able to get in there and push/bang some of that out.

The worst part though with an A2 is look at the rear 1/4 panel and look down
the side of it for any buckling. A2s that are rear ended seem to buckle
here fairly easily, esp. if you're at the point where the bumper is pushed
in like it is. If there's buckling of the 1/4 panel, now you're into major
$$$.

Old November 5th 05, 11:21 AM
William J. Leary Jr.

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" > wrote in message
> Well... my son got rear ended today in our 86 GTI no real visable damage
> except for the bumper pushed in... got a estimate (other guy has no

insurance)
> and it was $1,679!!!!
>
> http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/vw.jpg

I see you've got body damange too.

I got rear ended by a Mack truck in my '84 Scirocco. The guy was barely
moving, hit me and bounced me forward about six feet, then hit me again, and
bounced forwared another three or four feet. No visible body damage, but the
estimate for the bumper and the bent bumper shock mount in in the car (the left
one twisted) came to over $1000, and this was eight to ten years ago.

> The Buick that hit him was in much worse shape...

What kind of a Buick? I'm assuming something more or less modern.

I was in a Volvo years ago that got totaled by a strike from big 'ol Detroit
iron. Their car only had a bent bumper. The Volvo had it's "B" pillar pushed
in two or three inches.

- Bill

Old November 5th 05, 03:56 PM
Matt B.

"William J. Leary Jr." > wrote in message
> I was in a Volvo years ago that got totaled by a strike from big 'ol
> Detroit iron. Their car only had a bent bumper. The Volvo had it's "B"
> pillar pushed in two or three inches.

Sounds like the volvo was hit on the side? If so, doesn't surprise me. The
side of a car being hit by the front of any other car, Detroit or otherwise,
isn't going to fare very well.

Old November 5th 05, 06:02 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

William J. Leary Jr. > wrote:
: "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" > wrote in message
: ...
:> Well... my son got rear ended today in our 86 GTI no real visable damage
:> except for the bumper pushed in... got a estimate (other guy has no
: insurance)
:> and it was $1,679!!!!
:>
:> http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/vw.jpg

: I see you've got body damange too.

: I got rear ended by a Mack truck in my '84 Scirocco. The guy was barely
: moving, hit me and bounced me forward about six feet, then hit me again, and
: bounced forwared another three or four feet. No visible body damage, but the
: estimate for the bumper and the bent bumper shock mount in in the car (the left
: one twisted) came to over $1000, and this was eight to ten years ago.

:> The Buick that hit him was in much worse shape...

: What kind of a Buick? I'm assuming something more or less modern.

: I was in a Volvo years ago that got totaled by a strike from big 'ol Detroit
: iron. Their car only had a bent bumper. The Volvo had it's "B" pillar pushed
: in two or three inches.

: - Bill

Buick LeSabre I think...
http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/theotherguynoplate.jpg

Old November 5th 05, 09:16 PM
William J. Leary Jr.

"Matt B." > wrote in message
> "William J. Leary Jr." > wrote in message
> > I was in a Volvo years ago that got totaled by a strike from big 'ol
> > Detroit iron. Their car only had a bent bumper. The Volvo had it's "B"
> > pillar pushed in two or three inches.

> Sounds like the volvo was hit on the side?

Yes.

> If so, doesn't surprise me.

I was surprised at the time. I've seen too many hits since then to be all that
surprised. I got my '87 Scirocco hit just behind the B pillar by a Toyota
something (similar to a Celica). They got a scratched up bumper. I got my car
totaled. This time, though, it still runs and moves pretty good, but the side
is bent in, and the top of the left rear strut has move about an inch or so.

> The side of a car being hit by the front of any other car,

She actually backed into traffic and hit me. I was doing about 30 at the time.
But your point is still valid.

> Detroit or otherwise,
> isn't going to fare very well.

Usually. In an angle strike anyway. For the very few actual T-bone broadsides
I've seen, the other car comes up pretty bad if it's smaller, but seems to
survive a lot better if it's bigger and older.

- Bill

Old November 5th 05, 09:19 PM
William J. Leary Jr.

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" > wrote in message
> Buick LeSabre I think...
> http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/theotherguynoplate.jpg

OK, that's more like what I'd have expected. I realize I inverted your
description and was thinking you'd said he didnt' take much damage. I see you
actually said it the other way around. Sorry about that... but thanks for the
pic anyway.

- Bill

Old November 6th 05, 11:05 PM
Matt B.

"William J. Leary Jr." > wrote in message
. ..
>> The side of a car being hit by the front of any other car,

> She actually backed into traffic and hit me. I was doing about 30 at the
> time.
> But your point is still valid.

Oh yeah. Back for front doesn't matter really no matter how you get
t-boned. If you get t-boned, lots of damage is typical b/c the side of a
car is relatively weak compared to the front or rear.