Just witnessed an accident

Old February 3rd 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Just witnessed an accident

"John S." wrote:

> 223rem wrote:
> > To make a long story short: the van (in front of me) and the Ryder (in
> > front of the semi)
> > reached the intersection close to the moment when the light turned
> > yellow. They
> > *stopped on yellow* instead of continuing as I (and the semi driver)
> > expected. That
> > intersection has LONG yellows.

> How in the world would a truck driver know that particular light hasd a
> long yellow.

'223' seems to think that drivers should have divine knowledge of such
things !

Graham

Old February 3rd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> How in the world would a truck driver know that particular light hasd a
>
> long yellow.
> --------------------------
> Easy: we were on a 55mph divided highway interesecting a secondary
> road.
> 55mph highways tend to have long yellows.

*TEND TO* doesn't equal 'always have' !

You were simply **BETTING** on the timing of the lights. A VERY UNSAFE
PRACTICE ! This is *exactly* how accidents happen.

Not a single person has agreed with your idea about 'beating the red' so
far I'm pleased to see.

Graham

Old February 3rd 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Most drivers do not stop on yellow.

Old February 3rd 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Most drivers do not stop on yellow.

Old February 3rd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> The length of the yellow *has to* be related to the speed limit. These
> things are not set at random.

Of course ! To accomadate those drivers who are very close to the
interesction who aren't able to stop *INSTANTLY*. The time to stop will be
related to road speeds.

That much is obvious and common sense !

Every driver should know that a yellow/ amber means 'don't enter the
junction unless you're already right on it' though.

I suggest you read this before making yourself appear more silly
still.....

" Running a red light is no joke. Many people are killed or badly injured
each year because someone cruised through a red light.

You may be in a hurry, you may think the light doesn't stay green long
enough. Whatever your excuse, it's no reason to endanger the lives of
other motorists, passengers, pedestrians or bicyclists who may be in that
intersection.

The law is clear on how you must behave at traffic
signals:........................................

****Yellow****

****When you see a yellow light with or following the green light, you
should stop****...............

before entering the intersection unless you're so close to it that a stop
may not be made safely. A yellow light does NOT mean it's time to speed up
and race through the intersection. That's how people get killed. "

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...red-lights.htm

REPEAT

" When you see a yellow light................... you should stop "

Graham

Old February 3rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

You need to improve your highway sineage. Where I live (canada),
there is
a 'Be prepared to stop' sign placed a calculated distance from the
traffic light. When the yellow light in the sign is blinking, you
better
'be prepared to stop' because there is no way your'e going to beat the
red light.

However if you have passed the sign and the light turns yellow and
you are in recommended speed, you can go on before light turns red.

Old February 3rd 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> Most drivers do not stop on yellow.

What 'most drivers' do isn't the issue.

It seems that most drivers you know a haven't a clue about safe
driving and want to get involved in accidents. Or ( for once I'll
agree with 'Judy' here ) they want to have crashes - since 'running a
red' isn't accidental at all, it's simple wilful negligence.

Note that........
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...red-lights.htm

*DOESN'T SAY * " When you see a yellow light you should nail the gas
! "

Graham

Old February 3rd 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> Most drivers do not stop on yellow.

They are bad drivers then.

That is no excuse whatever.

FYI British drivers *do* stop on amber.

British roads are also among the very safest in the world ( low
accident rate ) despite having very high traffic density in a lot of
the country. Perhaps you'd like to mull over that ? It's called cause
and effect btw.

Graham

Old February 3rd 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

FYI British drivers *do* stop on amber.

British roads are also among the very safest in the world ( low
accident rate ) despite having very high traffic density in a lot of
the country. Perhaps you'd like to mull over that ? It's called cause
and effect btw.

So if we started stopping on yellow we'd also have a very low
accident rate?