1969 Rear Spoiler

Old August 4th 05, 03:15 PM

Default 1969 Rear Spoiler

Can anyone tell me where to find a template or give me the
measurements (location) of the holes for the rear spoiler on a 1969
Mustang Mach 1?

Thanks
Mel

Old August 5th 05, 12:47 AM
66 6F HCS

> wrote in message
news
> Can anyone tell me where to find a template or give me the
> measurements (location) of the holes for the rear spoiler on a 1969
> Mustang Mach 1?

I don't know that there's a template or measurements. All the cars I've ever
seen with the spoiler on the '69-'70 sportsroof put the mounts as far down
the trunklid as possible and still have it sit flat against it. Just before
it starts to curve back up into the whale tail. You can see mine here. It's
a '69 also with an aftermarket rear spoiler.
http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/wallpaper6b.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/wallpaper7a.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/wallpaper4a.JPG

I could've put the spoiler even lower on the trunklid, but the bodyshop
drilled the holes a bit too high and I was stuck with it. It was low enough
for it to look correct so I didn't make them redo it. It was only off by
about an inch. I've seen some morons drill the holes at the TOP of the
decklid and then leave it there. It looks like CRAP!!! I checked out a '69
Mach I and a '70 Boss 302 and the factory pedestals are not in any EXACT
place that I could tell, other than they were as low as possible while
keeping the pedestals flat against the deck.

Hope that helps.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old August 5th 05, 03:51 PM
walt peifer

Old August 5th 05, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

The original deck lid was damaged several years ago. A replacement
deck lid was drilled too low and the pedestals did not seat properly
so the trunk filled with water every time it rained until it rusted
out... Now when it rains the water runs straight through to the ground
below--no problem <G>

I have replaced the trunk sheetmetal and deck lid. I don't want to
cause the same problem again...

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:47:50 -0600, "66 6F HCS"

Old August 6th 05, 01:01 AM
Grover C. McCoury III

FYI: Check out the pics @
http://community.webshots.com/album/298509522SJtaqi and/or the link below
for the approximate location of the rear deck spoiler. The obvious primary
requirement is insuring that the mount bracket foot is flush with the top of
the trunk lid.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @
http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

news

Old August 6th 05, 04:52 AM
66 6F HCS

>>ORIGANL ASPOILER LOCATION IS ALSO GOVERENED SOMEWAHT BY THE (sorry damn
>>cap
>>locks) relief inside the deck lid. If I remember correctly some of the
>>original boss 302 cars actually had a brace inside the lid to help hold
>>the spoiler in place.

Not sure who wrote the above, but you are correct. My friends '70 Boss 302
has a metal brace between the bolts. He was of the opinion that ALL '70 Boss
302's had this bracing. Dunno about the '69's, but I trust his opinion on
the '70's. I don't remember the underside on the '69 Mach I.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289