Finally paid $3 a gallon for gas for first time in life

Old May 15th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default Finally paid $3 a gallon for gas for first time in life

I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing how gas
keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel last
summer to $62 now. But remember - There are no conspiracies in america.
Old May 15th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing how gas
> keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel last
> summer to $62 now. But remember - There are no conspiracies in america.

Then run your car on crude oil. Face it, the price of gasoline is based
on the demand and the supply of gasoline. The price of crude oil is only
relevant as it affects those factors of gasoline.

--
"There are some gals who don't like to be pushed and grabbed and lassoed
and drug into buses in the middle of the night."
Old May 15th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
Fran

On May 15, 3:52 pm, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> wrote:
> I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing how gas
> keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel last
> summer to $62 now. But remember - There are no conspiracies in america.

Well Adam Smith wasn't so sure.

Anyhow, it's not all bad. If people think fuel is too exepnsive,
they'll drive less often and perhaps a little more parsimoniously. The
less people drive (and the more cautiously), the less they'll pollute
the air and fill the hospital wards.

In the end, perhaps their fuel bills will stay the same.

If it stays expensive they'll start demanding cars that are less
thirsty -- like those that American car companies sell in Europe.

In the longer term perhaps they'll use more biofuels -- butanol and
biodiesel for example, both of which will be better for the
environment, because in addition to releasing less lifecycle CO2 and
NOx, they won't put out as much CO and no benzine and other
pollutants.

And maybe when they learn how to live with a lot less middle east
crude, they'll realise that spending megabucks defending it over there
and in the process letting the proceeds trickle down to people they
have to lock up in secret prisons all over the world -- "enemy
combatants" and having to do deals with Afghan drug lords, and
watching their soldiers being kidnapped and paraded on TV and having a
trade and budget deficits that would embarass someone who was clueless
on economics and having the biggest holders of your T-notes as Chinese
and Indians isn't nearly as good as having cleaner air and cleaner
waters, spending those dollars making Americans healthier and happier
and the US farm sector more viable and joining the rest of the
civilised world in making the planet fit for human habitation..

Then again, maybe they won't. But that would be a shame.

Fran

Old May 15th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
[email protected][_1_]

On May 15, 1:52 am, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> wrote:
> I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing how gas
> keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel last
> summer to $62 now.

Most of it is TAXES. Why else is gas in San Francisco a dollar
more than here in central North Carolina? It sure isn't plausible
that it's because the Arabs are being generous to us and hate
Kalifornia - when they could make more money screwing us.

Old May 15th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
C. E. White[_1_]

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote
in message
link.net...
> I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing how
> gas keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel
> last summer to $62 now. But remember - There are no conspiracies in
> America.

Why do you need a conspiracy to charge more for gasoline? If was
running an oil company, and just raised the price by $0.30 and my
sales actually increased, I'd be inclined to raise the price some
more. The only conspiracy in the US is a conspiracy of dunces who keep
buying more gasoline and who refuse to change their gas wasting
habits. When more people buy Foci instead of F150s, the gas prices
will fall. I am not expecting this to happen in the near future.

Ed

Old May 15th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
C. E. White[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 15, 1:52 am, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> > wrote:
>> I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing
>> how gas
>> keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel
>> last
>> summer to $62 now.

> Most of it is TAXES. Why else is gas in San Francisco a dollar
> more than here in central North Carolina? It sure isn't plausible
> that it's because the Arabs are being generous to us and hate
> Kalifornia - when they could make more money screwing us.

I persoanly think gas taxes are too low. Our military is being asked
to fight terrorist who are largely financed by oil revenues. We should
at least tax the imported oil at a rate high enough to fund the war on
terror (aka the war to secure oil reserves for oil companies).

California and NC fuel taxes as of Janruary 2006 -

California: State Excise & Sales Tax: 41.6; Federal: 18.4; Total State
& Federal: 60.0

North Carolina: State Excise & Sales Tax: 26.4; Federal: 18.4; Total
State & Federal: 44.8

So at the most, California charges 15.2 cents/gallon more than NC
because of taxes.

Ed

Old May 15th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
Harry K

On May 14, 11:04 pm, "Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )"
> wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>
> > I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing how gas
> > keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel last
> > summer to $62 now. But remember - There are no conspiracies in america.

> Then run your car on crude oil. Face it, the price of gasoline is based
> on the demand and the supply of gasoline. The price of crude oil is only
> relevant as it affects those factors of gasoline.
>
> --
> "There are some gals who don't like to be pushed and grabbed and lassoed
> and drug into buses in the middle of the night."
> "How else was I gonna get her on the bus? Well, I'm askin' ya.",
> George Axelrod, "Bus Stop"

Then there is the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) factor. Supply is not
keeping up with demand. Why? We haven't built a new refinery in the
states since 1967 (could be 1968) mostly due to NIMBYism and the
Econuts. I heard that we are now _importing_ refined gas.

Harry K

Old May 15th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
Ole redneck

On May 15, 7:39 am, "C. E. White" >
wrote:
> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote
> in s.earthlink.net...
>
> > I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing how
> > gas keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel
> > last summer to $62 now. But remember - There are no conspiracies in
> > America.

> Why do you need a conspiracy to charge more for gasoline? If was
> running an oil company, and just raised the price by $0.30 and my
> sales actually increased, I'd be inclined to raise the price some
> more. The only conspiracy in the US is a conspiracy of dunces who keep
> buying more gasoline and who refuse to change their gas wasting
> habits. When more people buy Foci instead of F150s, the gas prices
> will fall. I am not expecting this to happen in the near future.

Nancy thanks, you stupid bitch...I sure appreciate the $ 1.18 increase
in
fuel prices since you assholes took office.

Now are you tired of waiting on Nancy yet?

The fastest way to lower fuel prices is to buy your fuel from anyone
other than number one... thats right boycot ExxonMobile Corp.

It may not be fair to ExxonMobile Corp., or their shareholders but
you
know I don't give a damn, they are the largest retailer of fuel
products in the U.S. and when a large number of people start
switching
to a different retailer the entire oil industry will take notice.

When you are being bullied you can give up your lunch money or if you
are like me you can walk up to the biggist kid on the block and kick
him in the balls.

I don't know if giving up your lunch money works, I can assure you
giving them a kick in the nuts usualy works very well.

Old May 15th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics

On May 15, 10:46 am, wrote:
> On 15 May 2007 06:17:33 -0700, Harry K >
> wrote:
> >

> >Then there is the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) factor. Supply is not
> >keeping up with demand. Why? We haven't built a new refinery in the
> >states since 1967 (could be 1968) mostly due to NIMBYism and the
> >Econuts. I heard that we are now _importing_ refined gas.

> That's BS. Oil company mergers have actually seen them close 70
> refineries and meanwhile capacity at existing increased total refining
> capacity by 30%.
>
> http://www.net.org/proactive/newsroo....vtml?id=29028
>
> If the oil companies were truly short on refinery capacity they
> wouldn't have gone from 223 refineries in 1985 to 149 in 2004 (and
> yet production has increased by 30%). Go figure.
>
> _______________________
> "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

that is correct retro. in fact the justice department in the 1970's
was still a true enforcer of the law were conducting one of the
largest anti-trust actions in its history against the oil companies
who were buying up and closing independent refineries.
then along came ray-gun and his simpleton supporters who said get
government out of it.
justice was forced into closing the action just as they were about to
bring it to court.
then the dirty conservatives spent the next 6 years reversing all of
carters energy initiatives that had almost weaned us off of the
conservative allies opec oil.
today we are paying the price for conservatism.

Old May 15th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics
Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )

" wrote:

> On May 15, 1:52 am, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> > wrote:
> > I've avoided it so far but had to pay $3.19 today. Just amazing how gas
> > keeps rising while oil is sinking. Oil has gone from $79/barrel last
> > summer to $62 now.

> Most of it is TAXES. Why else is gas in San Francisco a dollar
> more than here in central North Carolina? It sure isn't plausible
> that it's because the Arabs are being generous to us and hate
> Kalifornia - when they could make more money screwing us.

While I suspect that taxes are higher in California than in NC, there
are other issues including the blend requirements for gasolines in
California compared to NC and the supply constraints for those blends in
the West. Someone should post those requirements and discuss ways in
which they could be simplified to allow more movement into the breach of
supply from better provided for areas.