Stop the old oil change arguments...here's the scoop

Old March 29th 07, 06:38 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Bob Brown

Default Stop the old oil change arguments...here's the scoop

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:48:39 -0400, "twotone" >
wrote:

>I am the world's top authority on oil changes. Call me
>Mr. Motor Oil.
>
>Here's the bottom line on oil changes: The 3,000 mile interval is
>a myth that the oil companies and oil change places have perpetuated.
>
>It certainly wouldn't HURT to change your oil every 100 miles, but
>even the most thick-headed can see that this would be overkill.
>
>I change my oil and filter in my Japanese car every 4,000 miles
>and always have---and this is lots of city driving, and it is
>STILL overkill. The car has over 180,000 miles on it, has never
>required anything more than basic maintenance (no engine work)
>and is still going like new. I've always used Castrol GTX dino, but
>many quality brands will do.
>
>In my BMW, I change my oil about every 8,500 miles (if I followed
>the "computer" it would be more like every 12,000 miles or so),
>and use Mobile 1 Synthetic, which is overkill, but I do it anyway.
>I just enjoy changing my oil I guess. But, you hard heads, do
>the environment a favor and stop the unecessary oil changing.

I change my oil once a year regardless of milage.

I car lasted until 350K miles with no core engine work ever.

Old March 29th 07, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Eeyore

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> twotone wrote:
>
> > BTW, I'm still on the original clutch with my
> > 5-speed manual Japanese car.

> Now that's hard to believe. 180K on one clutch.?? I've had manuals
> before and the clutches go out overnight.

No surprise in your case. I've driven manuals all my life and I've only ever had
to replace one clutch plate (on a car that already had 90,000 mi on it).

Graham

Old March 29th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Mar 28, 10:25ツ*pm, Hachiroku 繝上メ繝*繧ッ > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:52:19 -0700, N8N wrote:
> > On Mar 28, 9:33 pm, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> > > wrote:

> >> I suspect you are a slow driver too. ツ*Not just slow in the sense of not
> >> speeding but also slow as in no hard acceleration. ツ*Acceleration kills
> >> engines.

> > Not true at all. ツ*Lack of maintenance kills engines. ツ*Short trips that
> > don't let the engine get fully hot kill engines. ツ**NOT* exercising them
> > properly kills engines. ツ*Lots of cold starts kill engines.

> > If your engine can't stand up to occasional hard acceleration, it's not a
> > real engine. ツ*My favorite car was my old VW Scirocco; I bought it with
> > 180K on the clock and while I did maintain it well I also flogged the snot
> > out of it. ツ*I sold it at about 240K and it ran just as well when I sold it
> > as when I bought it. ツ*I should have run a compression test on it just so I
> > could brag. ツ*The only "mod" I did to hopefully increase longevity was to
> > add the factory oil cooler - or maybe that was the GTI and the 'roccet
> > already had one. ツ*I forget. ツ*It got a steady diet of Shell Rotella - the
> > cheap non-synthetic stuff. Lots of highway runs back and forth between
> > various cities; my family is from around Pittsburgh and I haven't lived
> > closer than a couple hundred miles from there in years. ツ*With the stock
> > close-ratio transaxle, I'd be running close to 4K RPM at highway cruise
> > and it flat loved it. ツ*It saw lots of runs to redline on onramps, etc. as
> > well.

> > All is apparently right with the world now that you're back to your usual,
> > nonsensical self - if your single sensible post from yesterday wasn't an
> > aberration, it would have seriously undermined a lot of people's faith in
> > the order of the universe.

> > nate

> Now I know you're a liar!! A VW with over 120K on it?!?!? ツ*
> Just kidding...the Scirocco was a cool car...I would have bought one if I
> hadn't just rolled a car over, and my head touched the headliner in the VW
> just sitting normal!!
>
> I did get a Jetta in '85, and gave it back to VW two years later.

I'm guessing an '85 would have been Westmoreland built, or were they
still building Jettas in Germany? My mom still has her '86 Golf, also
Westmoreland built, hers was good for years (it's just started within
the last year or two to start having the typical "old car" greebly
problems) but overall, they weem to be hit or miss, much more so than
the German cars. All Sciroccos were German built and were generally
much better...

and yes, headroom is a little limited, atypical of VW, especially with
the sunroof.

nate

Old March 29th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 06:46:20 -0700, N8N wrote:

> On Mar 28, 10:25ツ*pm, Hachiroku 繝上メ繝*繧ッ > wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:52:19 -0700, N8N wrote:
>> > On Mar 28, 9:33 pm, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

>> > Not true at all. ツ*Lack of maintenance kills engines. ツ*Short trips
>> > that don't let the engine get fully hot kill engines. ツ**NOT*
>> > exercising them properly kills engines. ツ*Lots of cold starts kill
>> > engines.

>> > If your engine can't stand up to occasional hard acceleration, it's
>> > not a real engine. ツ*My favorite car was my old VW Scirocco; I bought
>> > it with 180K on the clock and while I did maintain it well I also
>> > flogged the snot out of it. ツ*I sold it at about 240K and it ran just
>> > as well when I sold it as when I bought it. ツ*I should have run a
>> > compression test on it just so I could brag. ツ*The only "mod" I did to
>> > hopefully increase longevity was to add the factory oil cooler - or
>> > maybe that was the GTI and the 'roccet already had one. ツ*I forget.
>> > ツ*It got a steady diet of Shell Rotella - the cheap non-synthetic
>> > stuff. Lots of highway runs back and forth between various cities; my
>> > family is from around Pittsburgh and I haven't lived closer than a
>> > couple hundred miles from there in years. ツ*With the stock close-ratio
>> > transaxle, I'd be running close to 4K RPM at highway cruise and it
>> > flat loved it. ツ*It saw lots of runs to redline on onramps, etc. as
>> > well.

>> > All is apparently right with the world now that you're back to your
>> > usual, nonsensical self - if your single sensible post from yesterday
>> > wasn't an aberration, it would have seriously undermined a lot of
>> > people's faith in the order of the universe.

>> > nate

>> Now I know you're a liar!! A VW with over 120K on it?!?!? ツ* Just
>> kidding...the Scirocco was a cool car...I would have bought one if I
>> hadn't just rolled a car over, and my head touched the headliner in the
>> VW just sitting normal!!
>>
>> I did get a Jetta in '85, and gave it back to VW two years later.

> I'm guessing an '85 would have been Westmoreland built, or were they still
> building Jettas in Germany? My mom still has her '86 Golf, also
> Westmoreland built, hers was good for years (it's just started within the
> last year or two to start having the typical "old car" greebly problems)
> but overall, they weem to be hit or miss, much more so than the German
> cars. All Sciroccos were German built and were generally much better...

I made sure mine was German! It was a shame, because the car was decent,
good size, but plenty of room inside and a huge trunk. And it hid the fact
it only had 85 horsepower quite well. We had the 5 speed and it pulled
like a much more powerful car.

But too many things went wrong with it. It had a 2 year warranty, and
after the 2 years we went back to Toyotas, and then I got her a Honda.
It really was a shame about the car. The engineering was certainly there,
but the build was less than it should have been.

> and yes, headroom is a little limited, atypical of VW, especially with the
> sunroof.
>
> nate

But what a cool car. THeres one around here that has a supercharger in it.
I can't even imagine it!

Old March 29th 07, 04:42 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Mar 29, 9:57ツ*am, Hachiroku 繝上メ繝*繧ッ > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 06:46:20 -0700, N8N wrote:

> >> Now I know you're a liar!! A VW with over 120K on it?!?!? ツ* Just
> >> kidding...the Scirocco was a cool car...I would have bought one if I
> >> hadn't just rolled a car over, and my head touched the headliner in the
> >> VW just sitting normal!!

> >> I did get a Jetta in '85, and gave it back to VW two years later.

> > I'm guessing an '85 would have been Westmoreland built, or were they still
> > building Jettas in Germany? ツ*My mom still has her '86 Golf, also
> > Westmoreland built, hers was good for years (it's just started within the
> > last year or two to start having the typical "old car" greebly problems)
> > but overall, they weem to be hit or miss, much more so than the German
> > cars. ツ*All Sciroccos were German built and were generally much better...

> I made sure mine was German! It was a shame, because the car was decent,
> good size, but plenty of room inside and a huge trunk. And it hid the fact
> it only had 85 horsepower quite well. We had the 5 speed and it pulled
> like a much more powerful car.
>
> But too many things went wrong with it. It had a 2 year warranty, and
> after the 2 years we went back to Toyotas, and then I got her a Honda.
> It really was a shame about the car. The engineering was certainly there,
> but the build was less than it should have been.
>

> > and yes, headroom is a little limited, atypical of VW, especially with the
> > sunroof.

> > nate

> But what a cool car. THeres one around here that has a supercharger in it.
> I can't even imagine it!

I can, but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth, if it's the
factory VW setup... the girlie has a Corrado G60 and I won't try to
defend that fragile, finicky POS. I think the whole car was a beta-
test for VW; it was never ready for prime time.

Now a 1.8T swap into a roccet - especially a pre-'82 version - that
would make my ears wiggle. I met a guy with an old Callaway turbo
roccet (I think his was an '82 or '83) and immediately had car envy.

nate

Old March 29th 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, N8N wrote:

> I can, but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth, if it's the
> factory VW setup... the girlie has a Corrado G60 and I won't try to
> defend that fragile, finicky POS. I think the whole car was a beta-
> test for VW; it was never ready for prime time.

Did you ever get to the bottom of the supercharger issue on that car and
get it back together again? just curious now that you mention it again.

Old March 29th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Speeders & Drunk
Drivers are MURDERERS, read some GAY KID PORN and then spewed forth this
crap all over rec.autos.driving:

<< ECP flushed >>

> twotone wrote:
>
> > BTW, I'm still on the original clutch with my
> > 5-speed manual Japanese car.
> >

> Now that's hard to believe. 180K on one clutch.?? I've had manuals
> before and the clutches go out overnight.

This comes as no surprise. If I were the clutch in your car, I'd commit
suicide too.

--
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS," supports letting
drunks drive:

"Yup - another scam by the automakers to increase car
prices and thereby profits for themeselves."

--"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS," 3/27/07
Ref: http://snipurl.com/1dwi4
Message ID: .net
Old March 29th 07, 07:02 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
twotone

"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

> I change my oil once a year regardless of milage.

Probably not a bad policy; actually quite prudent I'd think.
Seems to have worked well for you...

Old March 29th 07, 07:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
SMS

Bob Brown wrote:

> I change my oil once a year regardless of milage.
>
> I car lasted until 350K miles with no core engine work ever.

All the arguments regarding core engine work versus oil change frequency
are really moot.

Whether it's 3000, 5000, or 7500 mile oil changes under non-severe
service, the difference in any engine wear will be virtually
unmeasurable, because the oil's lubricating properties will not
deteriorate enough to make the slightest difference. This has been
proven by examinations of engine components after various mileages.

Nearly all core engine problems are due to either overheating
(through loss of coolant), or lack of oil (through oil burning or
leaks). A few are due to manufacturing defects and design defects.
Old March 29th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Mar 29, 1:44 pm, necromancer
> wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Speeders & Drunk
> Drivers are MURDERERS, read some GAY KID PORN and then spewed forth this
> crap all over rec.autos.driving:
>
> << ECP flushed >>
>
> > twotone wrote:

> > > BTW, I'm still on the original clutch with my
> > > 5-speed manual Japanese car.

> > Now that's hard to believe. 180K on one clutch.?? I've had manuals
> > before and the clutches go out overnight.

> This comes as no surprise. If I were the clutch in your car, I'd commit
> suicide too.

I've only ever replaced two clutches in my life; one was in my
Scirocco when I had to replace the transaxle (there was nothing wrong
with the clutch, it was a "while you're in there" deal) and one in my
'55 Studebaker, simply because I was building a complete fresh
drivetrain for it.

I'm pretty easy on brakes, too - I've never replaced a single brake
pad on any of my daily drivers. I've done brakes on my old
Studebakers, but only once each (when I first got each car.) The
aforementioned Scirocco that I drove for appx. 60K miles still had the
same pads on it when I sold it as when I bought it.

nate