Stop the old oil change arguments...here's the scoop

Old March 29th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
N8N

Default Stop the old oil change arguments...here's the scoop

On Mar 28, 9:33 pm, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> wrote:
> twotone wrote:
>
> > I change my oil and filter in my Japanese car every 4,000 miles
> > and always have---and this is lots of city driving, and it is
> > STILL overkill. The car has over 180,000 miles on it, has never
> > required anything more than basic maintenance (no engine work)
> > and is still going like new. I've always used Castrol GTX dino, but
> > many quality brands will do.

> I suspect you are a slow driver too. Not just slow in the sense of not
> speeding but also slow as in no hard acceleration. Acceleration kills
> engines.

Not true at all. Lack of maintenance kills engines. Short trips that
don't let the engine get fully hot kill engines. *NOT* exercising
them properly kills engines. Lots of cold starts kill engines.

If your engine can't stand up to occasional hard acceleration, it's
not a real engine. My favorite car was my old VW Scirocco; I bought
it with 180K on the clock and while I did maintain it well I also
flogged the snot out of it. I sold it at about 240K and it ran just
as well when I sold it as when I bought it. I should have run a
compression test on it just so I could brag. The only "mod" I did to
hopefully increase longevity was to add the factory oil cooler - or
maybe that was the GTI and the 'roccet already had one. I forget. It
got a steady diet of Shell Rotella - the cheap non-synthetic stuff.
Lots of highway runs back and forth between various cities; my family
is from around Pittsburgh and I haven't lived closer than a couple
hundred miles from there in years. With the stock close-ratio
transaxle, I'd be running close to 4K RPM at highway cruise and it
flat loved it. It saw lots of runs to redline on onramps, etc. as
well.

All is apparently right with the world now that you're back to your
usual, nonsensical self - if your single sensible post from yesterday
wasn't an aberration, it would have seriously undermined a lot of
people's faith in the order of the universe.

nate

Old March 29th 07, 03:25 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:52:19 -0700, N8N wrote:

> On Mar 28, 9:33 pm, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> > wrote:
>> twotone wrote:
>>
>> > I change my oil and filter in my Japanese car every 4,000 miles and
>> > always have---and this is lots of city driving, and it is STILL
>> > overkill. The car has over 180,000 miles on it, has never required
>> > anything more than basic maintenance (no engine work) and is still
>> > going like new. I've always used Castrol GTX dino, but many quality
>> > brands will do.

>> I suspect you are a slow driver too. Not just slow in the sense of not
>> speeding but also slow as in no hard acceleration. Acceleration kills
>> engines.

> Not true at all. Lack of maintenance kills engines. Short trips that
> don't let the engine get fully hot kill engines. *NOT* exercising them
> properly kills engines. Lots of cold starts kill engines.
>
> If your engine can't stand up to occasional hard acceleration, it's not a
> real engine. My favorite car was my old VW Scirocco; I bought it with
> 180K on the clock and while I did maintain it well I also flogged the snot
> out of it. I sold it at about 240K and it ran just as well when I sold it
> as when I bought it. I should have run a compression test on it just so I
> could brag. The only "mod" I did to hopefully increase longevity was to
> add the factory oil cooler - or maybe that was the GTI and the 'roccet
> already had one. I forget. It got a steady diet of Shell Rotella - the
> cheap non-synthetic stuff. Lots of highway runs back and forth between
> various cities; my family is from around Pittsburgh and I haven't lived
> closer than a couple hundred miles from there in years. With the stock
> close-ratio transaxle, I'd be running close to 4K RPM at highway cruise
> and it flat loved it. It saw lots of runs to redline on onramps, etc. as
> well.
>
> All is apparently right with the world now that you're back to your usual,
> nonsensical self - if your single sensible post from yesterday wasn't an
> aberration, it would have seriously undermined a lot of people's faith in
> the order of the universe.
>
> nate

Now I know you're a liar!! A VW with over 120K on it?!?!?
Just kidding...the Scirocco was a cool car...I would have bought one if I
hadn't just rolled a car over, and my head touched the headliner in the VW
just sitting normal!!

I did get a Jetta in '85, and gave it back to VW two years later.
Old March 29th 07, 03:26 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:50:52 -0400, twotone wrote:

> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
> message ink.net...
>> twotone wrote:
>>

>>> I change my oil and filter in my Japanese car every 4,000 miles and
>>> always have---and this is lots of city driving, and it is STILL
>>> overkill. The car has over 180,000 miles on it, has never required
>>> anything more than basic maintenance (no engine work) and is still
>>> going like new. I've always used Castrol GTX dino, but many quality
>>> brands will do.

>> I suspect you are a slow driver too. Not just slow in the sense of not
>> speeding but also slow as in no hard acceleration. Acceleration kills
>> engines.

> Hard to answer because "slow" is a relative term. If "slow" to you means
> driving like old grampa, then NO, I am not a slow driver. But if it means
> not jackrabbiting from stops at stoplights, only to hit the brakes hard
> for the next stop, herky-jerky style like some people, then YES, I guess I
> would be considered "slow." BTW, I'm still on the original clutch with
> my 5-speed manual Japanese car.

Um, I'm still on the original clutch with my 5-speed Corolla GTS, and I
didn't always baby that car...259,000 miles...

Old March 29th 07, 03:40 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Daryl Bryant

"twotone" > wrote in message
> I am the world's top authority on oil changes. Call me
> Mr. Motor Oil.
>
> Here's the bottom line on oil changes: The 3,000 mile interval is
> a myth that the oil companies and oil change places have perpetuated.
>
> It certainly wouldn't HURT to change your oil every 100 miles, but
> even the most thick-headed can see that this would be overkill.
>
> I change my oil and filter in my Japanese car every 4,000 miles
> and always have---and this is lots of city driving, and it is
> STILL overkill. The car has over 180,000 miles on it, has never
> required anything more than basic maintenance (no engine work)
> and is still going like new. I've always used Castrol GTX dino, but
> many quality brands will do.
>
> In my BMW, I change my oil about every 8,500 miles (if I followed
> the "computer" it would be more like every 12,000 miles or so),
> and use Mobile 1 Synthetic, which is overkill, but I do it anyway.
> I just enjoy changing my oil I guess. But, you hard heads, do
> the environment a favor and stop the unecessary oil changing.

Back in 1987 a fella by the name of Albert Klein of Pasadena, Calif, drove
into Santa Monica Volkswagen, had hoped to find a good engine rebuilder...
VW asked the man how he was able to put a million miles on his 63 Beetle -
Klein said that he had changed his oil every 2000 miles.. VW ended up giving
the man a brand NEW Volkswagen.

Was depicted in 87 on front page Los Angeles Times!

By Jan. 1993 Klein added an additional 400,000+ miles to his Beetle's
(original factory built) engine!
--
Bing, Bang, BOOM, Voila-Done!

Old March 29th 07, 03:58 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Daryl Bryant

"Daryl Bryant" > wrote in message
> "twotone" > wrote in message
> > I am the world's top authority on oil changes. Call me
> > Mr. Motor Oil.
> >
> > Here's the bottom line on oil changes: The 3,000 mile interval is
> > a myth that the oil companies and oil change places have perpetuated.
> >
> > It certainly wouldn't HURT to change your oil every 100 miles, but
> > even the most thick-headed can see that this would be overkill.
> >
> > I change my oil and filter in my Japanese car every 4,000 miles
> > and always have---and this is lots of city driving, and it is
> > STILL overkill. The car has over 180,000 miles on it, has never
> > required anything more than basic maintenance (no engine work)
> > and is still going like new. I've always used Castrol GTX dino, but
> > many quality brands will do.
> >
> > In my BMW, I change my oil about every 8,500 miles (if I followed
> > the "computer" it would be more like every 12,000 miles or so),
> > and use Mobile 1 Synthetic, which is overkill, but I do it anyway.
> > I just enjoy changing my oil I guess. But, you hard heads, do
> > the environment a favor and stop the unecessary oil changing.

> Back in 1987 a fella by the name of Albert Klein of Pasadena, Calif, drove
> into Santa Monica Volkswagen, had hoped to find a good engine rebuilder...
> VW asked the man how he was able to put a million miles on his 63

eetle -

woops - that would be a 66 Beetle!

Old March 29th 07, 04:24 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech

Ford is now going with 7500 miles changes.

http://www.fordmotorforum.com/forums...rval-4987.html

On Mar 28, 10:58 pm, "Daryl Bryant"

Old March 29th 07, 04:24 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
SMS

Daryl Bryant wrote:

> Back in 1987 a fella by the name of Albert Klein of Pasadena, Calif, drove
> into Santa Monica Volkswagen, had hoped to find a good engine rebuilder...
> VW asked the man how he was able to put a million miles on his 63 Beetle -
> Klein said that he had changed his oil every 2000 miles.. VW ended up giving
> the man a brand NEW Volkswagen.
>
> Was depicted in 87 on front page Los Angeles Times!
>
> By Jan. 1993 Klein added an additional 400,000+ miles to his Beetle's
> (original factory built) engine!

That's a little different. An air-cooled engine like that runs very hot.
Old March 29th 07, 05:44 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

twotone wrote:

> BTW, I'm still on the original clutch with my
> 5-speed manual Japanese car.

Now that's hard to believe. 180K on one clutch.?? I've had manuals
before and the clutches go out overnight.
Old March 29th 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Tim J.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:24:55 -0700, SMS >
wrote:

>Daryl Bryant wrote:
>
>> Back in 1987 a fella by the name of Albert Klein of Pasadena, Calif, drove
>> into Santa Monica Volkswagen, had hoped to find a good engine rebuilder...
>> VW asked the man how he was able to put a million miles on his 63 Beetle -
>> Klein said that he had changed his oil every 2000 miles.. VW ended up giving
>> the man a brand NEW Volkswagen.
>>
>> Was depicted in 87 on front page Los Angeles Times!
>>
>> By Jan. 1993 Klein added an additional 400,000+ miles to his Beetle's
>> (original factory built) engine!

>That's a little different. An air-cooled engine like that runs very hot.

Then there's the issue of an oil "strainer" instead of a real filter.

Old March 29th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Garth Almgren

Around 3/28/2007 9:44 PM, Aunt Judy (AKA Pride of Diarrhea, AKA
"Saddam") <http://tinyurl.com/65nqz> wrote:

> twotone wrote:
>
>> BTW, I'm still on the original clutch with my
>> 5-speed manual Japanese car.

> Now that's hard to believe. 180K on one clutch.?? I've had manuals
> before and the clutches go out overnight.

Given your demonstrated lack of knowledge in anything related to
automobiles and driving, I'm not surprised that you can't make a clutch
last.

My Jeep's original clutch is still going strong at 106,000+ miles.

--
~/Garth
"I am patient with stupidity