When will speed limit be lowered to 55?

Old May 31st 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Default When will speed limit be lowered to 55?

Scott en Aztlán:
> said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >I am praying for the day when this country will lower the speed
> >limit back to 55 MPH.

> Did Aunt Judy nym-shift again?

Or maybe he (sic) has socked up?

--
necromancer

Criminal Coddler. And Proud of it, Man!!
Old May 31st 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John B.

For me, it has nothing to do with time. I'm in my comfort zone when driving
faster than the flow of traffic. I can't drive in a line of cars going the
same speed on an open highway. (Can you say "chain reaction crash"?) I
don't like it when cars are around me, so I will speed up some and slow down
accordingly so that I create a buffer zone. If I crash, then it's my OWN
damn fault!!!

John B.

oups.com...

Old May 31st 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

On May 30, 3:30 pm, wrote:
> I am praying for the day when this country will lower the speed
> limit back to 55 MPH. Gas prices have increased enormously yet I
> still see people in their gas guzzlers driving 75 mph. I dont think
> people realize how much more economical , safer and less stressful it
> is to drive at 55 MPH. And please, time is not money unless you are a
> billionaire..

So you're going to pay me my $40/hour for every hour extra I spend in
traffic?

Thanks.

Old May 31st 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

> > Moron. It was tried once and it failed. The simple fact is that We
>
> The > People rejected 55MPH once, and we will reject ir again. Don't
> like it? > Tough ****.
>
> It is a sad reflection of human beings that we would rather die
> than change our habits.

So what are you doing to use less oil?

Old May 31st 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

On May 30, 4:33 pm, wrote:
> Alan Baker wrote:
> > (sleeping, eating, washing) those 36 hours mean *at least* three
> > whole days worth of my free time; time you can never get back.

> My argument is that driving 55 MPH will is more productive since it
> frees your mind to multi-task. I like to listen to audiobooks while
> driving. I find myself unable to concentrate at speeds above 70 mph.
> So by driving 55 I can absorb far more of the book, thereby
> increasing the value of my time spent getting from A to B.

Perhaps you shouldn't be driving at all.

Old May 31st 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

On May 30, 4:33 pm, wrote:
> Alan Baker wrote:
> > (sleeping, eating, washing) those 36 hours mean *at least* three
> > whole days worth of my free time; time you can never get back.

> My argument is that driving 55 MPH will is more productive since it
> frees your mind to multi-task. I like to listen to audiobooks while
> driving. I find myself unable to concentrate at speeds above 70 mph.
> So by driving 55 I can absorb far more of the book, thereby
> increasing the value of my time spent getting from A to B.

Wow, with that train of thought, you should go 5 mph. You'd have all
the free time in the world!!!

LOL!!! Now you know what your comment is idiotic.

Old May 31st 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

On May 30, 5:23 pm, wrote:
> Arif Khokar wrote:
> > If you want to save gas, ride a bicycle. Sure you won't be able to

> go > 55 mph, but you'll be much safer at 15 to 20 mph than you'll
> ever be at > 55 mph.
>
> I agree but this is far too drastic a change for society to handle
> overnight. Dropping speed limit to 55 is an incremental change that
> is easy to implment.

Who's saying society should do it? Why don't YOU do it?

Old May 31st 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Larry Bud

On May 30, 10:18 pm, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
> > I am praying for the day when this country will lower the speed
> > limit back to 55 MPH. Gas prices have increased enormously yet I
> > still see people in their gas guzzlers driving 75 mph. I dont think
> > people realize how much more economical , safer and less stressful it
> > is to drive at 55 MPH. And please, time is not money unless you are a
> > billionaire..

> And it would also save thousands of lives every year like it did in the
> 70s. And prevent hundreds of thousands of injuries and save billions of
> dollars. Lowering speed limits is the most obviously right thing in the
> world but americans have been brainwashed by the media into thinking
> speeding is cool.

Nutjob #1, meet nutjob #2.

Old May 31st 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Old Wolf

On May 31, 5:27 pm, Garth Almgren > wrote:
> > They don't show the road ahead, which is where most of the
> > danger is coming from.

> In terms of interstates and divided multi-lane highways, I'd have to
> disagree.

How about residential streets? The greatest
danger I perceive there is children or other
objects moving out into my path.

> Unless you're one of the fastest drivers at any given moment, the most
> dangerous situations, the ones over which you have the least amount of
> control, come from behind in the form of overtaking vehicles.

But how often do you take action based on what's
behind you? (Excluding when you are making a
lane change, of course). For me , it's only if an
emergency vehicle is approaching, or I've
carelessly gotten into an LLB-type position.

The greatest danger I perceive on such roads is
cars in front of me or beside me suddenly braking
or swerving. If someone behind me is determined
to ram me up the arse, then there's not much I
can do about it except make sure they pay for
my new paint job as well!