Clump

Old January 17th 05, 04:11 PM
Dave Head

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:50:29 -0600, (Brent
P) wrote:

>In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>> You're not getting out that way, either. You're just going to have an
>> impossible situation until people get the idea that they absolutely have to
>> build more roads and there's no other solution, which is the truth.

>Who's homes are you going to tear down?

The ones that are on a line between point A and point B.

Give them 2X the value of their property - 1X for the property, the other for
the inconvenience of having to relocate suddenly, and get on with the concrete
and rebar. Homeowner opposition to relocating would virtually evaporate
overnight. The problem might become people bribing engineers to locate the
roadway thru their property.

>which busniesses?

The ones that are cheap enough to pay 2X their value for and not cost the
roadbuilding project too much money. IOW, don't put the road straight thru the
new Chrysler assembly plant, put it thru the drycleaner's place across the
street.

>The dan ryan is already as much as 14 lanes wide!

Yep - its why you also need _new roads_. Might want to see about "stacking"
them up high, with multiple levels - if feasible and if that would be cheaper
than buying new right of way.

>> Either that, or they have to start moving the jobs to places like Boise, Idaho
>> and Tucmcari, New Mexico, instead of concentrating all the people in places
>> like Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles.

>Or we could start driving properly to cope with the sort of population
>densities that europe figured out how to deal with in this regard decades
>ago.

That won't do it. Europe has things like a good public transport system and $4
- $6 a gallon gas that keep people from driving excessively. We have so much
expanse in this country that we can't deal with it that way. We all _have_ to
drive, unless we figure out a viable (different) transport system too.
Automobile-carrying trains would be one thing that would work, if they could be
made fast - 150 mph or so, in order to get the thruput up - but that isn't even
contemplated yet.

Old January 17th 05, 04:27 PM
Brent P

In article >, Dave Head wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:50:29 -0600, (Brent
> P) wrote:
>
>>In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>>> You're not getting out that way, either. You're just going to have an
>>> impossible situation until people get the idea that they absolutely have to
>>> build more roads and there's no other solution, which is the truth.

>>Who's homes are you going to tear down?

> The ones that are on a line between point A and point B.
> Give them 2X the value of their property - 1X for the property, the other for
> the inconvenience of having to relocate suddenly, and get on with the concrete
> and rebar. Homeowner opposition to relocating would virtually evaporate
> overnight. The problem might become people bribing engineers to locate the
> roadway thru their property.

Where is this money going to come from? Oh and around here, the elected
officals and their budies would buy up the property at market rate
knowing what was coming before anyone else. Nice corruption opertunity
you create there.

And guess what? Adding lanes won't do much good because the blockers will
STILL manage to end up side by side. Even at 2-3am I still encounter
clumps because 3-6 drivers have managed to get themselves close enough
together as to form a moving road block. Where there is no way to safely
get around.

Net improvement from adding lanes alone will be small without lane
displine given the traffic volumes. There is no way to get traffic
density down to rural 1930s levels where all the idiotcy and sloth
doesn't make a difference. Where "consideration" doesn't delay people.

>>Or we could start driving properly to cope with the sort of population
>>densities that europe figured out how to deal with in this regard decades
>>ago.

> That won't do it. Europe has things like a good public transport system and $4
> - $6 a gallon gas that keep people from driving excessively. We have so much
> expanse in this country that we can't deal with it that way.

We can drive excessively and correctly. They are not exclusive.
Driving well is not difficult. Too many people have simply been taught to
be self centered and lazy.

Oh, and to pay for roads to get traffic densities down to rural 1930s
levels will likely mean at least $6 a gallon gasolone.

Old January 17th 05, 04:27 PM
Brent P

Old January 17th 05, 05:13 PM
Dave Head

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:27:26 -0600, (Brent
P) wrote:

>In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:50:29 -0600,
(Brent
>> P) wrote:

>>>Who's homes are you going to tear down?

>> The ones that are on a line between point A and point B.
>> Give them 2X the value of their property - 1X for the property, the other for
>> the inconvenience of having to relocate suddenly, and get on with the concrete
>> and rebar. Homeowner opposition to relocating would virtually evaporate
>> overnight. The problem might become people bribing engineers to locate the
>> roadway thru their property.

>Where is this money going to come from?

Same place it comes from now, augmented with the savings from not having to
battle innumerable homeowners who oppose the new road.

>Oh and around here, the elected
>officals and their budies would buy up the property at market rate
>knowing what was coming before anyone else. Nice corruption opertunity
>you create there.

Just as long as the road gets built - fine. You can put these people in jail
later, but at least the road would be built.

>And guess what? Adding lanes won't do much good because the blockers will
>STILL manage to end up side by side. Even at 2-3am I still encounter
>clumps because 3-6 drivers have managed to get themselves close enough
>together as to form a moving road block. Where there is no way to safely
>get around.

Another reason we need more roads as well as wide ones.

Get enough roads, and there won't be enough traffic available to allow them to
do that.

>>>Or we could start driving properly to cope with the sort of population
>>>densities that europe figured out how to deal with in this regard decades
>>>ago.

>> That won't do it. Europe has things like a good public transport system and $4
>> - $6 a gallon gas that keep people from driving excessively. We have so much
>> expanse in this country that we can't deal with it that way.

>Oh, and to pay for roads to get traffic densities down to rural 1930s
>levels will likely mean at least $6 a gallon gasolone.

I don't think so.

Another way to increase the capacity of roads would be to build up the rail
systems and force the end to long-haul trucking. The only damn trucks in the
mix should be local delivery, not these 2000-3000 mile treckkers that clog up
the roadways thru every city and town that the interstate highway system passes
through and beat the **** out of the roads so we only have 2 seasons - winter
and construction. We need rapid loading and unloading trains, and no sitting
in railyards/railheads waiting for something/anything. Train arrives with a
trailer, there better be a tractor there waiting to start moving it again -
don't care if its 3AM.

Old January 17th 05, 05:13 PM
Dave Head

Old January 17th 05, 05:32 PM
Brent P

In article >, Dave Head wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:27:26 -0600, (Brent P) wrote:

<2x market rate>
>>Where is this money going to come from?

> Same place it comes from now, augmented with the savings from not having to
> battle innumerable homeowners who oppose the new road.

They will still oppose it.

>>Oh and around here, the elected
>>officals and their budies would buy up the property at market rate
>>knowing what was coming before anyone else. Nice corruption opertunity
>>you create there.

> Just as long as the road gets built - fine. You can put these people in jail
> later, but at least the road would be built.

I'm not fond of giving elected and appointed officals more chances to
line their pockets at public expense regardless of the outcome.

>>And guess what? Adding lanes won't do much good because the blockers will
>>STILL manage to end up side by side. Even at 2-3am I still encounter
>>clumps because 3-6 drivers have managed to get themselves close enough
>>together as to form a moving road block. Where there is no way to safely
>>get around.

> Another reason we need more roads as well as wide ones.

More roads are even easier to block. It's more likely to get two of them
together on two different roads than four of them on one road.

> Get enough roads, and there won't be enough traffic available to allow them to
> do that.

To get to that density level, we would only have roads. There won't be
anything along side them except the next road.

>>> That won't do it. Europe has things like a good public transport system and $4
>>> - $6 a gallon gas that keep people from driving excessively. We have so much
>>> expanse in this country that we can't deal with it that way.

>>Oh, and to pay for roads to get traffic densities down to rural 1930s
>>levels will likely mean at least $6 a gallon gasolone.

> I don't think so.

Then you don't understand the traffic volumes in question.

> Another way to increase the capacity of roads would be to build up the rail
> systems and force the end to long-haul trucking.

See my countless posts on this topic.

Old January 17th 05, 05:32 PM
Brent P