Was the car alarm useful in this case?

Old October 25th 05, 09:36 AM
Arif Khokar

Default Was the car alarm useful in this case?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/10/2....ap/index.html

Farther west, near the part of Key West that marks the southernmost
point in the continental United States, Chris Elwell was awakened by the
sound of his car alarm going off.

He was surprised, and heartsick, by what he saw when he went outside.

His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
months, was almost completely underwater.
Old October 25th 05, 03:24 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:36:10 GMT, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/10/2....ap/index.html
>
>Farther west, near the part of Key West that marks the southernmost
>point in the continental United States, Chris Elwell was awakened by the
>sound of his car alarm going off.
>
>He was surprised, and heartsick, by what he saw when he went outside.
>
>His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
>months, was almost completely underwater.

Hey, the car didn't get stolen, did it?

The alarm MUST have prevented a theft!

Old October 25th 05, 03:27 PM
223rem

Arif Khokar wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/10/2....ap/index.html
>
> Farther west, near the part of Key West that marks the southernmost
> point in the continental United States, Chris Elwell was awakened by the
> sound of his car alarm going off.
>
> He was surprised, and heartsick, by what he saw when he went outside.
>
> His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
> months, was almost completely underwater.

He ignored an evacuation order/advisory. I wonder if the insurance company
can use that as an excuse for not paying
Old October 25th 05, 03:55 PM
Mike T.

>> He was surprised, and heartsick, by what he saw when he went outside.
>>
>> His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
>> months, was almost completely underwater.

> He ignored an evacuation order/advisory. I wonder if the insurance company
> can use that as an excuse for not paying

They don't have to. It was an "act of God", so the insurance company has
grounds to deny the claim. -Dave

Old October 25th 05, 06:45 PM
Shawn Hirn

In article >,
Arif Khokar > wrote:

> http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/10/2....ap/index.html
>
> Farther west, near the part of Key West that marks the southernmost
> point in the continental United States, Chris Elwell was awakened by the
> sound of his car alarm going off.
>
> He was surprised, and heartsick, by what he saw when he went outside.
>
> His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
> months, was almost completely underwater.

This is a case where financial wealth and wisdom do not go hand in hand.
The impending arrival of Hurricane Wilma and its destructive force were
well known days in advance. If Chris Elwell had enough money to buy that
fancy car, he had enough money to drive it and himself out of harm's way
before Wilma arrived.
Old October 25th 05, 06:50 PM
John S.

Arif Khokar wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/10/2....ap/index.html
>
> Farther west, near the part of Key West that marks the southernmost
> point in the continental United States, Chris Elwell was awakened by the
> sound of his car alarm going off.
>
> He was surprised, and heartsick, by what he saw when he went outside.
>
> His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
> months, was almost completely underwater.

Help me on this one - I'm missing your point. How would a car theft
alarm be "useful" in preventing flooding damage from a hurricane.

Old October 26th 05, 02:44 AM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Arif Khokar > wrote:

>His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
>months, was almost completely underwater.

Another car ruined by neglect. If he'd just got in the damn thing a
few days before and USED it on Route 1, he'd be in better shape.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old October 26th 05, 02:54 AM
Matthew Russotto

In article ws.net>,
Mike T. > wrote:
>>> He was surprised, and heartsick, by what he saw when he went outside.
>>>
>>> His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
>>> months, was almost completely underwater.

>> He ignored an evacuation order/advisory. I wonder if the insurance company
>> can use that as an excuse for not paying

>They don't have to. It was an "act of God", so the insurance company has
>grounds to deny the claim. -Dave

Depends on the policy. Neither my homeowners nor auto policies exempt
"acts of God". If a tree falls on your house or car or your roof blows off,
that's an act of God, but any homeowners policy worth its salt will
cover it.

Homeowners policies DON'T cover flooding, though, and I wouldn't be
surprised if his auto policy didn't either.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old October 26th 05, 11:47 PM
John David Galt

>>> He was surprised, and heartsick, by what he saw when he went outside.
>>>
>>> His black Porsche Boxster, a sweet little machine he had for only six
>>> months, was almost completely underwater.

>> He ignored an evacuation order/advisory. I wonder if the insurance company
>> can use that as an excuse for not paying

> They don't have to. It was an "act of God", so the insurance company has
> grounds to deny the claim. -Dave

"Acts of God" are often the main thing you insure against. Certainly any
"comprehensive" policy on a car covers the ones that "collision" doesn't.
Old October 27th 05, 12:41 PM
Scott en Chicago

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:47:01 -0700, John David Galt
> wrote:

>>> He ignored an evacuation order/advisory. I wonder if the insurance company
>>> can use that as an excuse for not paying

>> They don't have to. It was an "act of God", so the insurance company has
>> grounds to deny the claim. -Dave

>"Acts of God" are often the main thing you insure against.

I think Dave's point is that insurance companies will trump up any
bull**** excuse they can to avoid paying a claim.