2000 JGC leaking heater core, or internal hoses ?

Old October 29th 11, 04:28 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_1_]

Default 2000 JGC leaking heater core, or internal hoses ?

I am almost sure that my heater core is leaking, but not 100% sure.

I do get the antifreeze smell when I run my defroster or heater, but I
cannot tell if I get the "film" on the windshield when I run the defroster.
As best as I can tell , I just don't see it.

The passenger side floor gets wet when I run my heater. The puzzling thing
to me is that only the **flat** part of the floorboard gets wet, not the
part of the floorboard that slants back up under the dashboard. That area
stays totally dry, while the flat floorboard gets soaking wet. This only
happens with the heater on, not A/C.

Are there interior heater hoses that could be leaking? Stretching my neck
and using a good light, I simply cannot pinpoint where the moisture is
coming from. It is oily, and I am sure it is mixed antifreeze.

Can I be sure this is my heater core leaking ?

thanks !!

james

Old October 29th 11, 07:36 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

James wrote:

> I am almost sure that my heater core is leaking, but not 100% sure.
>
> I do get the antifreeze smell when I run my defroster or heater, but I
> cannot tell if I get the "film" on the windshield when I run the
> defroster. As best as I can tell , I just don't see it.
>
> The passenger side floor gets wet when I run my heater. The puzzling
> thing
> to me is that only the **flat** part of the floorboard gets wet, not the
> part of the floorboard that slants back up under the dashboard. That area
> stays totally dry, while the flat floorboard gets soaking wet. This only
> happens with the heater on, not A/C.
>
> Are there interior heater hoses that could be leaking? Stretching my neck
> and using a good light, I simply cannot pinpoint where the moisture is
> coming from. It is oily, and I am sure it is mixed antifreeze.
>
> Can I be sure this is my heater core leaking ?
>
> thanks !!

It's probably a moot point. You're going to have to drop the whole unit to
fix it. That means a full recharge of the a/c as well unless they have
worked some packaging magic.

You've got the problem identified right - something is leaking in the heater
- and I don't envy your job. I hate working uder the dash!

--
Will Honea

Leaking Heater Core Rich D[_2_] Jeep 34 April 8th 08 04:03 PM
Need Help! 1988 735i -Coolant Leaking inside car, Heater Core? Chris Gloss BMW 4 July 31st 07 04:21 AM
A thought on fixing a leaking heater core! psongman Technology 2 June 22nd 07 12:57 AM
leaking heater core - 1986 Golf Jim Lacko VW water cooled 5 December 3rd 06 11:53 AM
73 leaking heater core question tony kujawa Corvette 4 November 2nd 05 01:10 PM