"fuel door lock"

Old April 10th 05, 04:51 AM
FSCHW

Default "fuel door lock"

Just took my 1993 325IS to the gas station and can't get the door to the
fuel tank opened. I've been going through a Chiltons manual and can't
find anything. Ibeliev it's connected to the car electronics but not
sure. If so, is there any type of manual bypass?

Old April 10th 05, 07:27 AM
Time Teamer

"FSCHW" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Just took my 1993 325IS to the gas station and can't get the door to the
> fuel tank opened. I've been going through a Chiltons manual and can't
> find anything. Ibeliev it's connected to the car electronics but not
> sure. If so, is there any type of manual bypass?

with electronic systems, there is normally a manual method that entails
removing some lining in the boot/trunk area adjacent to the filler.

Old April 10th 05, 12:12 PM
Todd Zuercher

FSCHW wrote:
> Just took my 1993 325IS to the gas station and can't get the door to the
> fuel tank opened. I've been going through a Chiltons manual and can't
> find anything. Ibeliev it's connected to the car electronics but not
> sure. If so, is there any type of manual bypass?

It is suposed to lock and unlock when you lock and unlock the doors. If
it is not working you can unlock it manually with a release in the trunk
(look in the owners manual)
Old April 10th 05, 01:08 PM
FSCHW

Thank you both "Time Teamer" and Todd. I don't have the manual, but I'm on
my way out now to check the trunk for a release.

Old April 10th 05, 01:10 PM
FSCHW

Old April 10th 05, 02:06 PM
FSCHW

Found it, pulled the handle and it opened. I guess here is a solenoid
behind the panel that I need to repalce.

Old April 10th 05, 04:55 PM
Jeff Mayner

FSCHW wrote:
> Thank you both "Time Teamer" and Todd. I don't have the manual, but
> I'm on my way out now to check the trunk for a release.

Don't yank it too hard!

Jeff

Old April 10th 05, 04:57 PM
Jeff Mayner

FSCHW wrote:
> Found it, pulled the handle and it opened. I guess here is a solenoid
> behind the panel that I need to repalce.

On mine the little pin that's supposed to pop into place when you lock the
doors stopped doing it. Sounds like the opposite of your problem.

Jeff

Old April 11th 05, 05:43 PM
Jeff Strickland

The fuel door locks if you lock the car doors. If the fuel door is locked
and the car is not, then I believe you can get into the fuel filler from
inside the trunk.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 11th 05, 07:19 PM
tech27

Depending on the model, you will see a little pull cord in the trunk or
behind the trunk panel behind the fuel door.