5 series wheels on 3 series compact?

Old February 23rd 05, 03:30 AM
Fritz Wagner

Default 5 series wheels on 3 series compact?

I saw a beautiful set of original BMW 16" alloy wheels for sale.
They were used on a 5 series (E 39) but my car is a 3
series ( E 36-- 318 ti). I asked the seller if they would fit
and, being an honest and cautious man, he advised me
that the wheels probably would not line up correctly.

I have an old BMW catalog that suggests some of the
BMW alloy wheels fit both the 3 and 5 series. I hate to
walk away from this deal but I can't afford to be wrong.
I hope someone out there has the answer.
Thanks in advance.

Fritz Wagner
Columbus, Ohio
Old February 23rd 05, 03:46 AM
Jeff Strickland

Won't fit. The backspacing is way wrong and they will rub on the suspension.

Your E36 can take wheels from another E36 or from an E46.

Old February 23rd 05, 05:50 AM
ThaDriver

>Won't fit. The backspacing is way wrong and they will rub on the
suspension.
********
If this is true then you could take some careful measurements & buy
spacers & longer log bolts (or get lug studs & nuts).
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old February 23rd 05, 01:49 PM
The Malt Hound

"ThaDriver" <imangeloneAThotmailDOTcom@> wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> >Won't fit. The backspacing is way wrong and they will rub on the

> suspension.
> ********
> If this is true then you could take some careful measurements & buy
> spacers & longer log bolts (or get lug studs & nuts).

That's just dumb. Who in their right mind would want to drive around
on a kludged up mess like that when they can just go out and easily
buy the correct wheels to begin with.

Old February 23rd 05, 07:23 PM
Jeff Strickland

It isn't worth the trouble.

If one goes on eBay and does a search for "BMW E36 OEM WHEELS", the hits
will return all sizes of wheels that will fit an E36. One can reduce the hit
list by plugging the size they are interested in, and one can also remove
OEM from the string and get a list of aftermarket wheels that will fit.

Old February 23rd 05, 07:29 PM
Jeff Strickland

Try this link for the various wheels that are available. There is data on
this page that tells the application of the various styles ...

http://www.kalach.easynet.be/bmw_wheels.htm

Old February 23rd 05, 09:03 PM
ThaDriver

>That's just dumb. Who in their right mind would want to drive around
on a kludged up mess like that when they can just go out and easily
buy the correct wheels to begin with.
*******
Who? A poor person that found a *deal* on the wheels he wants, & can't
afford to just go out & buy everything he desires. (not everyone is rich
as apparently you) If done right (the correct spacers *are* available),
it's not "kludged" up at all!
Instead of just saying "that's dumb", perhaps you can offer info on where
to get the correct wheels & tires at a great price...

~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Old February 24th 05, 01:43 PM
The Malt Hound

"ThaDriver" <imangeloneAThotmailDOTcom@> wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> >That's just dumb. Who in their right mind would want to drive
> >around

> on a kludged up mess like that when they can just go out and easily
> buy the correct wheels to begin with.
> *******
> Who? A poor person that found a *deal* on the wheels he wants, &
> can't
> afford to just go out & buy everything he desires. (not everyone is
> rich
> as apparently you) If done right (the correct spacers *are*
> available),
> it's not "kludged" up at all!
> Instead of just saying "that's dumb", perhaps you can offer info on
> where
> to get the correct wheels & tires at a great price...

It's a matter of safety not money, and by the way I am far from rich.
There is no way to use spacers and have it "done right". At the very
least there will be excessive forces on the hubs, axles, and lugs
caused by the increased leverage of these spacers. Plus the car will
never handle correctly with such a kluge. That *is* dumb.

I'm pretty sure the OP did not want to go that route, but rather was
asking if these wheels will fit his car correctly. The question was
answered: No, they will not fit correctly.

Inexpensive wheels that do fit correctly are available all over the
place. Use of any search engine would likely turn up dozens in the
OPs local area. I hardly think I need to point them all out.

If you can't come up with something better to contribute than telling
people (who might not know any better) that that they can use wheel
spacers and infer that this is a safe practice then perhaps you should
refrain from participation.

-Fred W

Old February 24th 05, 02:17 PM
Badger

"The Malt Hound" <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "ThaDriver" <imangeloneAThotmailDOTcom@> wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> >That's just dumb. Who in their right mind would want to drive around

>> on a kludged up mess like that when they can just go out and easily
>> buy the correct wheels to begin with.
>> *******
>> Who? A poor person that found a *deal* on the wheels he wants, & can't
>> afford to just go out & buy everything he desires. (not everyone is rich
>> as apparently you) If done right (the correct spacers *are* available),
>> it's not "kludged" up at all!
>> Instead of just saying "that's dumb", perhaps you can offer info on where
>> to get the correct wheels & tires at a great price...

> It's a matter of safety not money, and by the way I am far from rich.
> There is no way to use spacers and have it "done right". At the very
> least there will be excessive forces on the hubs, axles, and lugs caused
> by the increased leverage of these spacers. Plus the car will never
> handle correctly with such a kluge. That *is* dumb.
>
> I'm pretty sure the OP did not want to go that route, but rather was
> asking if these wheels will fit his car correctly. The question was
> answered: No, they will not fit correctly.
>
> Inexpensive wheels that do fit correctly are available all over the place.
> Use of any search engine would likely turn up dozens in the OPs local
> area. I hardly think I need to point them all out.
>
> If you can't come up with something better to contribute than telling
> people (who might not know any better) that that they can use wheel
> spacers and infer that this is a safe practice then perhaps you should
> refrain from participation.
>
> -Fred W

The use of spacers is an issue that has generated many a heated debate
within differing motoring circles over the years. The basic idea of a spacer
as a track-increasing device is unacceptable to many, although they do serve
a purpose. There are many forms of motorsport where they are outlawed,
within the UK at least.
There is of course the issue of extra loadings ( and suspension geometry
changes) where the spacer moves the wheel centreline further out from the
bearing centreline, but in this particular case the spacer would simply be
putting the centreline where it should be, not further outboard. If it were
done with the correct accurately manufactured and lipped spacers (for
ensuring correct wheel centre alignment), then it would work just fine.
However, my one real concern though is the lengthening of the wheel bolts,
the bending moment on them is considerably increased as they become longer,
due to accelerative and braking forces. (the distance from the underside of
the head, to the hub thread entry point, having increased) I've seen
extra-long wheel bolts shear at the thread entry point in the hub.
A better solution, if the spacers required are wide enough, is to machine
the spacer to accept studs inserted from its inboard face, and have the
spacer bolted onto the hub using the original bolts, into correctly
countersunk bores so that the bolts are either flush with, or below, the new
wheel mounting surface. This would result in a far safer adaptation, less of
a "kludge".
Badger.

Old February 24th 05, 05:27 PM
Jeff Strickland

"ThaDriver" <imangeloneAThotmailDOTcom@> wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> >That's just dumb. Who in their right mind would want to drive around

> on a kludged up mess like that when they can just go out and easily
> buy the correct wheels to begin with.
> *******
> Who? A poor person that found a *deal* on the wheels he wants, & can't
> afford to just go out & buy everything he desires. (not everyone is rich
> as apparently you) If done right (the correct spacers *are* available),
> it's not "kludged" up at all!
> Instead of just saying "that's dumb", perhaps you can offer info on where
> to get the correct wheels & tires at a great price...

I am with Fred on this point, if one can't afford the right wheels, then
keep saving your money.

The difference in 5 Series wheels and 3 Series wheels is significant, and
the differences will result in all kinds of troubles.

I recently went on a search for either 16 or 17 inch wheels for my E36, and
found a complete set of 5 on eBay for around $625 including the shipping
costs. I got four from one auction and one from another. I ended up with a
set of Style 22 from a '95 M3.