Stragne sound from wheel areas

Old May 11th 09, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
klashniv

Default Stragne sound from wheel areas

Hullo all,

I have a mysterious sound I have been trying to track down for months,
finally decided to ask ramva, someone might have had a similar
problem.

When I drive on rough roads I hear tiny noises that sound like loose
hub caps. I removed the hub caps to see whether it made a difference
but it didn't. Sounds like something in the suspension.

Anyone out there who has had similar and found the problem?

Cheers, Joseph
Old May 11th 09, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Check the bushes in the shock absorbers. They wear out and the mounting
stud/bolt hits the shock absorber. Steering damper shock same thing but not
so pronounced.
John

Old May 11th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
one who waits

In article >,
"John" > wrote:

> Check the bushes in the shock absorbers. They wear out and the mounting
> stud/bolt hits the shock absorber. Steering damper shock same thing but not
> so pronounced.
> John

I had heard a similar sound and just assumed it was a bearing going
loose. I never checked any further.
Good Luck and
Keep that VW alive!
--
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.
Old May 11th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Loose hubcaps or a rattling in the hubcabs ?
Is it a ticking noise ?

Randy

Old May 12th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Yes, it does sound like a ticking noise. Seems to coincide with every
bump, however small. Its not very loud, actually only really easy to
hear if you put your head out or go past a big bus or wall.

This weekend I will check the bushes in the shock absorbers as
suggested by John.

Joseph

PS: Hubcaps are off for now, till I track down the noise.

Old May 12th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On May 12, 1:25*am, wrote:
> Yes, it does sound like a ticking noise. Seems to coincide with every
> bump, however small. Its not very loud, actually only really easy to
> hear if you put your head out or go past a big bus or wall.
>
> This weekend I will check the bushes in the shock absorbers as
> suggested by John.
>
> Joseph
>
> PS: Hubcaps are off for now, till I track down the noise.
>
> On May 11, 9:13*pm, wrote:
>

> > Loose hubcaps or a rattling in the hubcabs ?
> > Is it a ticking noise ?

> > Randy

> > On May 11, 1:08*am, klashniv > wrote:

> > > Hullo all,

> > > I have a mysterious sound I have been trying to track down for months,
> > > finally decided to ask ramva, someone might have had a similar
> > > problem.

> > > When I drive on rough roads I hear tiny noises that sound like loose
> > > hub caps. I removed the hub caps to see whether it made a difference
> > > but it didn't. Sounds like something in the suspension.

> > > Anyone out there who has had similar and found the problem?

> > > Cheers, Joseph

You didn't happen to just do a brake job or put new wheels on did
you ?

Randy
Old May 12th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Amazing to try to guess what is wrong without more facts. I am not even
sure which aircooled VW the OP is talking about. Maybe I missed the vitals!
;-)

Is this a 1967 or 1968 Beetle?

Old May 13th 09, 08:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Sorry,

Should have mentioned, its a 1966 vw beetle (aircooled )

Joseph

Old May 13th 09, 09:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On May 12, 2:54*pm, wrote:
> On May 12, 1:25*am, wrote:
>

> > Yes, it does sound like a ticking noise. Seems to coincide with every
> > bump, however small. Its not very loud, actually only really easy to
> > hear if you put your head out or go past a big bus or wall.

> > This weekend I will check the bushes in the shock absorbers as
> > suggested by John.

> > Joseph

> > PS: Hubcaps are off for now, till I track down the noise.

> > On May 11, 9:13*pm, wrote:

> > > Loose hubcaps or a rattling in the hubcabs ?
> > > Is it a ticking noise ?

> > > Randy

> You didn't happen to just do a brake job or put new wheels on did
> you ?
>
> Randy

No, haven't changed anything with regards to wheel/tyres/suspension

Joseph
'66 beetle
Old May 14th 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default Stragne sound from wheel areas 1966 Beetle

I was thinking the Z bar was bad or the bushings were, but I don't think the
'66 Beetles had the Z bar.

Can you pinpoint the noise with your ear? Do you hear it in the rear or the
front.

I agree with others to check the shock bushings. Also check the rear body
mounting points close to the rear shocks. I have had to change those
bushings on a few Beetles to stop a bumping noise.

wrote:
> Amazing to try to guess what is wrong without more facts. I am not even
> sure which aircooled VW the OP is talking about. Maybe I missed the
> vitals!
> ;-)
>
> Is this a 1967 or 1968 Beetle?
>
> > wrote in message

> Yes, it does sound like a ticking noise. Seems to coincide with every
> bump, however small. Its not very loud, actually only really easy to
> hear if you put your head out or go past a big bus or wall.
>
> This weekend I will check the bushes in the shock absorbers as
> suggested by John.
>
> Joseph
>
> PS: Hubcaps are off for now, till I track down the noise.
>
> On May 11, 9:13 pm, wrote:
>
> > Loose hubcaps or a rattling in the hubcabs ?
> > Is it a ticking noise ?

> > Randy

> > On May 11, 1:08 am, klashniv > wrote:

> > > Hullo all,

> > > I have a mysterious sound I have been trying to track down for months,
> > > finally decided to ask ramva, someone might have had a similar
> > > problem.

> > > When I drive on rough roads I hear tiny noises that sound like loose
> > > hub caps. I removed the hub caps to see whether it made a difference
> > > but it didn't. Sounds like something in the suspension.

> > > Anyone out there who has had similar and found the problem?

> > > Cheers, Joseph

clicking sound when turning wheel left jid Dodge 3 April 20th 08 10:57 PM
98 camry wooing sound left rear wheel at 50-60mph??? vic[_1_] Technology 7 July 25th 06 04:42 PM
wheel "chirping" sound elda Technology 6 March 30th 05 10:29 PM
crunching sound from left wheel Chris_E VW water cooled 10 December 29th 04 11:21 PM
steering wheel makes scraping sound RgvKid BMW 0 December 29th 04 04:45 PM