Brakes on 98 t&c minivan

Old August 24th 05, 04:00 PM
Carol22

Default Brakes on 98 t&c minivan

We just replaced the brakes on a 1998 minivan and they worked fine then a
few days later they seemed to be slipping so we bled the brakes again but
now they have just stopped working altogether. I am thinking it has to be
maybe a valve or something that has gone wrong but am not sure. Does
anyone have any suggestions for what I should check? Thanks

Old August 24th 05, 04:23 PM
Richard

"Carol22" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> We just replaced the brakes on a 1998 minivan and they worked fine then a
> few days later they seemed to be slipping so we bled the brakes again but
> now they have just stopped working altogether. I am thinking it has to be
> maybe a valve or something that has gone wrong but am not sure. Does
> anyone have any suggestions for what I should check? Thanks

Does your vehicle have anti-lock brakes? If so the bleading may not have
been done properly to protect the system.

Richard.

Old August 24th 05, 07:44 PM

Richard wrote:
> "Carol22" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > We just replaced the brakes on a 1998 minivan and they worked fine then a
> > few days later they seemed to be slipping so we bled the brakes again but
> > now they have just stopped working altogether. I am thinking it has to be
> > maybe a valve or something that has gone wrong but am not sure. Does
> > anyone have any suggestions for what I should check? Thanks

> Does your vehicle have anti-lock brakes? If so the bleading may not have
> been done properly to protect the system.
>
> Richard.

This is correct. With ABS, it is sometimes necessary to have a scan
tool to properly bleed the system.

-Kirk Matheson

Old August 24th 05, 07:54 PM
Carol22

yes it does have anti-lock brakes. is there anything that wwe can do now to
fix it?

Old August 26th 05, 10:26 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Carol22" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> yes it does have anti-lock brakes. is there anything that wwe can do now

> fix it?

Take it to a dealer and have them fix it.

You can bleed ABS brakes in the usual way as long as you don't let the
master
cylinder run dry and suck air, and as long as there isn't an existing hole
in the
system that has allowed air to get in. In your case you probably have
corrosion in
the caliper piston which let air get into the system, and once that happens
you have to have them bled at a dealer, or a shop with a pretty advanced
scan tool.

Ted