NSX turn signals

Old July 15th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_12_]

Default NSX turn signals

My 1995 NSX turn lights ( indicators) have stopped cancelling. All the
lights work, but they do not cancel. I have checked the manual and it
describes a cancel unit and a solenoid in the indicator arm assembly. It
also say to remove the steering column covers, but I can not find a
description of how to do that.

Ok I could attack all the screws with my trusty screwdriver, but it would be
nice to know what order to do it in, so that I don't end up cracking any
plastic bits.

Has anybody else had a similar cancellation problem and if so what was the
cause.

Paul

Old July 15th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_12_]

> My 1995 NSX turn lights ( indicators) have stopped cancelling. All the
> lights work, but they do not cancel. I have checked the manual and it
> describes a cancel unit and a solenoid in the indicator arm assembly. It
> also say to remove the steering column covers, but I can not find a
> description of how to do that.
>
> Ok I could attack all the screws with my trusty screwdriver, but it would
> be nice to know what order to do it in, so that I don't end up cracking
> any plastic bits.
>
> Has anybody else had a similar cancellation problem and if so what was the
> cause.
>
> Paul

I have attempted to remove the steering column covers by removing 3 screws
from a bottom cover, I found this wouldn't come off as it has cables
attached at the back, and without cutting the tie wraps, which are hard to
get at, it doesn't come off.

Then removed 6 tapping screws which secure the top and bottom halves
together, and I was able to split the covers apart. However I couldn't get
either covers off as they are held together at the bottom end by a plastic
clip which of course has half broken with the tugging. No matter how I tried
with the clip on the left side I couldn't get it off and I suspected that
even if I did there was going to be further problems with the top cover
which looks to have further screws/clips holding it.

The good bit is that for now the cancelling has started working again, so
either I have remade a connection or the banging about of the lever has
loosened the solenoid for the time being.

Paul

Old July 15th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I woulda thought that the Turn signal relay was in the Fuse Box area?

Bg
Old July 16th 08, 11:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_12_]

> wrote in message
I woulda thought that the Turn signal relay was in the Fuse Box area?

Bg

The turn signal relay is behind the dashboard lower panel, but as the light
all work correctly I haven't touched that.

What the NSX has and I am not sure how many other cars use this, is a turn
switch with a built in solenoid which fires and turns the turn switch off.
The solenoid is fired when a cancellation unit detects that the steering
wheel is turning the opposite way to the direction the indicators are
turning. The manual says this is necessary because of space restrictions due
to the SRS system. (Air bag).

My guess is that the solenoid is sticking and with me trying to get to it it
has freed itself off for a bit.

Anybody aware of this cancellation method being used on any other Honda's

Old July 16th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Paul wrote:
> > wrote in message
> I woulda thought that the Turn signal relay was in the Fuse Box area?
>
> Bg
>
> The turn signal relay is behind the dashboard lower panel, but as the light
> all work correctly I haven't touched that.
>
> What the NSX has and I am not sure how many other cars use this, is a turn
> switch with a built in solenoid which fires and turns the turn switch off.

why would they do that? detecting the steering wheel position alone is
sufficiently complex that you simply build the canceling mechanism into
the "detector".

there can be a canceling solenoid built in to switch off the signal a
certain time after something like a lane change if the driver doesn't
notice the signal's still on, but that's a simple timer trigger.

> The solenoid is fired when a cancellation unit detects that the steering
> wheel is turning the opposite way to the direction the indicators are
> turning. The manual says this is necessary because of space restrictions due
> to the SRS system. (Air bag).
>
> My guess is that the solenoid is sticking and with me trying to get to it it
> has freed itself off for a bit.
>
> Anybody aware of this cancellation method being used on any other Honda's

no. see above. you remove the steering wheel, and there it is, right
in front of you.
Old July 16th 08, 02:52 PM
Easyforss Easyforss is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation Knowledge

bump up lurk--------------------------------our wow gold site:buy wow gold, cheap wow gold, free wow gold,
Old July 16th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_12_]

>> What the NSX has and I am not sure how many other cars use this, is a
>> turn
>> switch with a built in solenoid which fires and turns the turn switch
>> off.

>why would they do that? detecting the steering wheel position alone is
>sufficiently complex that you simply build the canceling mechanism into the
>"detector".

I guess they didn't think of making it digital like I have seen Vauxhall
cars work, where you move the turn stick up and you simply operate a digital
switch. The NSX switch moves into possition, and holds. The solenoid then
fires and moves the switch back to the centre position.

>there can be a canceling solenoid built in to switch off the signal a
>certain time after something like a lane change if the driver doesn't
>notice the signal's still on, but that's a simple timer trigger.

NSX doesn't do that

>no. see above. you remove the steering wheel, and there it is, right in
>front of you.

The cancellation unit is on the top of the steering column and from the
diagrams I have, seems to hold the 2 micro switches which detect the
rotation and direction of the wheel, and it is this which sends the signal
to the unit to bring the turn stick to its centre position. The 10-p
connector where everything plugs in and the test voltages can be checked
does require the covers coming off, as would any replacement of anything.

By re-checking my book I have found that there is another screw I missed
holding the top section onto the column which may have been stopping me
getting any further so I will search for that one the next time it goes
faulty.

Paul

engine doesnt turn over - headlights work, turn signals dont xekushion Dodge 2 February 21st 07 04:35 AM
turn signals lybarra Dodge 1 June 11th 06 11:04 AM
Turn signals Mike chambers Ford Explorer 2 June 2nd 06 09:08 AM
Turn Signals Allan Schneider Audi 2 December 27th 05 04:57 PM
Turn signals, 99 G.C. 2.3Sleeper Dodge 0 November 23rd 04 05:12 PM