steering problem

Old January 8th 05, 08:24 PM
backwoods

Default steering problem

I had a new lock cylinder put into my steering column in my 88
Comanche. To do this the mechanic had to remove the wheel to get
inside the column. After 1 hour , i picked up the vehicle and the
wheel is moved 2" left (center = left 2"). As well the steering feels
jerky/unusually tight. I have manual steering and Im aware of the
steering box adjustment up front near the rad. He claims that he did
not touch it, only worked on the column area.

Is this possible? Has anyone heard ot this or had anything similar
happen?
I suspect that the steering box may have been over adjusted. (I've
adjusted it before). Can incorrect wheel installation or something
similar cause the steering to behave as described?

Please anyone
Thanks
Old January 8th 05, 09:50 PM
DougW

backwoods did pass the time by typing:
> I had a new lock cylinder put into my steering column in my 88
> Comanche. To do this the mechanic had to remove the wheel to get
> inside the column. After 1 hour , i picked up the vehicle and the
> wheel is moved 2" left (center = left 2"). As well the steering feels
> jerky/unusually tight. I have manual steering and Im aware of the
> steering box adjustment up front near the rad. He claims that he did
> not touch it, only worked on the column area.
>
> Is this possible? Has anyone heard ot this or had anything similar
> happen?
> I suspect that the steering box may have been over adjusted. (I've
> adjusted it before). Can incorrect wheel installation or something
> similar cause the steering to behave as described?

Probably didn't put the wheel back on straight. As for the jerky/tight
I dunno.

--
DougW

Old January 8th 05, 09:56 PM
Mike Romain

I tagged you over in the tech group, but for anyone else's info, the
steering wheel isn't 'clocked' with a spline I don't think and my book
says it isn't so the mechanic just forgot to mark it when he took it
off.

It will have to come off to adjust.

Too tight is something else. Maybe he got a part in upside down or
something too....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 8th 05, 11:05 PM
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:
> backwoods did pass the time by typing:
>> I had a new lock cylinder put into my steering column in my 88
>> Comanche. To do this the mechanic had to remove the wheel to get
>> inside the column. After 1 hour , i picked up the vehicle and the
>> wheel is moved 2" left (center = left 2"). As well the steering feels
>> jerky/unusually tight. I have manual steering and Im aware of the
>> steering box adjustment up front near the rad. He claims that he did
>> not touch it, only worked on the column area.
>>
>> Is this possible? Has anyone heard ot this or had anything similar
>> happen?
>> I suspect that the steering box may have been over adjusted. (I've
>> adjusted it before). Can incorrect wheel installation or something
>> similar cause the steering to behave as described?

> Probably didn't put the wheel back on straight. As for the jerky/tight
> I dunno.

Erm.. mebby I didn't parse that correctly. Is the wheel not level when
going straight or is the colum shifted. If the column is shifted I'd
be checking mounting bolts The stiff/jerky feeling would be the whole
steering shaft out of alighnment. IF this is the case, don't drive it
till you fix it. If the shaft breaks or collapses you could be left
withough steering. Although I'm not sure just how you could put a steering
system back togheter and have it off that much. They don't have much
adjustment, maby 1/8" if even that.