Automotive Changes That Need to Happen

Old September 19th 11, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

Default Automotive Changes That Need to Happen

On 2011-09-19, > wrote:

> 8) Station wagons need to make a comeback. Not only RWD V8 versions
> like the Dodge Magnum, but also the little 4-cylinder FWD models like
> the Protege.

The SUV is trying to evolve back into a wagon... or at least something like
an AMC Eagle. Howerever the wagon has been essentially legislated out of
existance. Calling them 'light trucks' and new technology started this
recent comeback but with new CAFE coming it will again send the wagon away.

Old September 19th 11, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 19, 3:16*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2011-09-19, > wrote:
>
> > 8) Station wagons need to make a comeback. *Not only RWD V8 versions
> > like the Dodge Magnum, but also the little 4-cylinder FWD models like
> > the Protege.

> The SUV is trying to evolve back into a wagon... or at least something like
> an AMC Eagle. Howerever the wagon has been essentially legislated out of
> existance. Calling them 'light trucks' and new technology started this
> recent comeback but with new CAFE coming it will again send the wagon away.

New CAFE: So a wagon, which is essentially a more efficient SUV, will
be legislated out? So jack up a wagon six inches, call it an SUV and
it'll be good?

Patrick
Old September 20th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 20, 11:38*am, Brent > wrote:
> On 2011-09-19, > wrote:

> >> The SUV is trying to evolve back into a wagon... or at least something like
> >> an AMC Eagle. Howerever the wagon has been essentially legislated out of
> >> existance. Calling them 'light trucks' and new technology started this
> >> recent comeback but with new CAFE coming it will again send the wagon away.

> > New CAFE: So a wagon, which is essentially a more efficient SUV, will
> > be legislated out? *So jack up a wagon six inches, call it an SUV and
> > it'll be good?

> Because government sees passenger trucks and passenger cars differently.
>
> CAFE is the reason we have SUVs in the first place and cars like the
> crown vic carried on with 1970s designs until their demise.

I knew this, but how does a wagon, based on a existing sedan platform
get dinged by CAFE? It's not like a wagon get drastically less
mileage than its sedan brethren.

Patrick
Old September 20th 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-09-20, > wrote:
> On Sep 20, 11:38*am, Brent > wrote:

>> > New CAFE: So a wagon, which is essentially a more efficient SUV, will
>> > be legislated out? *So jack up a wagon six inches, call it an SUV and
>> > it'll be good?

>> Because government sees passenger trucks and passenger cars differently.
>>
>> CAFE is the reason we have SUVs in the first place and cars like the
>> crown vic carried on with 1970s designs until their demise.

> I knew this, but how does a wagon, based on a existing sedan platform
> get dinged by CAFE? It's not like a wagon get drastically less
> mileage than its sedan brethren.

The mustang has no spare tire thanks to CAFE. Does a wagon body add more
weight than a spare tire?