1992 Chevy Lumina p/s lines - how to tell them apart?

Old September 19th 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris[_12_]

Default 1992 Chevy Lumina p/s lines - how to tell them apart?

the hose nearest the right/passenger fender is leaking/gushing some.
Is that the return line or the high pressure line? Something tells me
it's the return line, but in my twisted little mind most logic is
skewed. Please help. Thanks.
Old September 19th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Chris" > wrote in message
> the hose nearest the right/passenger fender is leaking/gushing some.
> Is that the return line or the high pressure line? Something tells me
> it's the return line, but in my twisted little mind most logic is
> skewed. Please help. Thanks.

I dont remember, but I have been there and done that.
Remember that the power steering pump HP side can put out around
1000 psi, give or take, when the engine is operating at road speed,
and leaks are more common in the high pressure side. Sometimes a
pinhole leak will "paint" the engine compartment with PS fluid.

It is somewhat less likely that you will get a significant leak in a low
pressure line,
but not impossible.

Third point, it can be really hard to find leaks sometimes. I have had
some
bad luck with GM pumps leaking around the shaft, and when they are fairly
slight leaks they can look like the fitting end of the hose is leaking.

So clean it up and look carefully for the leak before starting to replace
hoses
or pumps helterskelter.

If the pump is leaking at the shaft, dont even think about trying to rebuild
it
yourself. It can be done, but in my experience it wont last.

Just my 2 centavos.

Old September 19th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
WW[_2_]

"Chris" > wrote in message
> the hose nearest the right/passenger fender is leaking/gushing some.
> Is that the return line or the high pressure line? Something tells me
> it's the return line, but in my twisted little mind most logic is
> skewed. Please help. Thanks.

I had a 85 GM car. Same problem. Looked like the hose crimp or the fitting..
Turned out it was the pressed in cover on the PS pump. Replaced the pump. ww

Old September 19th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_41_]

Chris wrote:
> the hose nearest the right/passenger fender is leaking/gushing some.
> Is that the return line or the high pressure line? Something tells me
> it's the return line, but in my twisted little mind most logic is
> skewed. Please help. Thanks.

Check online for pics. This is the low side:
http://www.racepages.com/products/?D...94963353&Nty=1
The return hose is ordinary hose. Just like on my Grand Am.
Both hoses eventually leaked on mine with the return going
bad about 5 years before the high pressure one did.
Old September 20th 10, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Paul" > wrote in message

> Both hoses eventually leaked on mine with the return going
> bad about 5 years before the high pressure one did.

On my personal car, I used ATF as the PS fluid.. Damn me, I didnt read the
owners
manual. I always figured the ATF ate up my system.. Maybe not, but you have
to blame something.

GM has a tour in Hell to walk about more things than one.

Old September 20th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_41_]

hls wrote:

> "Paul" > wrote in message
>
>> Both hoses eventually leaked on mine with the return going
>> bad about 5 years before the high pressure one did.

> On my personal car, I used ATF as the PS fluid.. Damn me, I didnt read
> the owners
> manual. I always figured the ATF ate up my system.. Maybe not, but you
> have
> to blame something.
>
> GM has a tour in Hell to walk about more things than one.

All of my GM's went 225k+ miles before the scrapyards got them,
but at an expense of $200 per month in parts not including
regular maintenance items. It will be interesting to see if
my Kia makes it that far. It has 60k now and no repairs so far.

Old September 20th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Paul" > wrote in message

> All of my GM's went 225k+ miles before the scrapyards got them,
> but at an expense of $200 per month in parts not including
> regular maintenance items. It will be interesting to see if
> my Kia makes it that far. It has 60k now and no repairs so far.

It took me a while to realize the subpar result I was getting with GM
autos, starting back in the 80's. And as I became more aware of
it, the angrier I got...with myself as well as with GM.

I hope you have good luck with your Kia. Hyundai, the mothership
of Kia I think, seems to be making gross strides in terms of quality,
performance and design. I have heard speculation that Kia may
disappear from the market, with Hyundai expanding to fill the gap.

Old September 23rd 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris[_12_]

On Sep 20, 7:44 am, "hls" > wrote:

> It took me a while to realize the subpar result I was getting with GM
> autos, starting back in the 80's. And as I became more aware of
> it, the angrier I got...with myself as well as with GM.

Funny. I bought a Beretta (2.8 l. engine) new in 1989. Ran it for
205,000 miles. Replaced the heater core and a crankshaft senser in
that time period. O ok, there was that 6 weeks though where the car
wouldn't turn over (something to do w/moisture I think, somewhere).
Just let it sit during that time LOL.

I bought this thing w/88,000 miles on it for 500$ (the Lumina that
is). Got 141,000 now. My first problem was this hose (I just keep
filling it for now).

You must have a skill for picking the bad ones man. For the most part
(75-80% of the time, or even significantly better), I get an excellent
highly reliable nearly maintenance free vehicle.

Let's here it! - GM! GM! GM! GM!

Old September 24th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris[_12_]

Old September 24th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Chris" > wrote in message news:5bf1226f-b01f-

> You must have a skill for picking the bad ones man.

Yes, I did..GM, GM, GM, GM