Tan vinyl top dark stain

Old December 2nd 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
James Sleeman

Default Tan vinyl top dark stain

I purchased a used tan top, it was cheap, and had the frame so an easy
replacement for my old buggered black one, but the reason it was cheap
is that it has a whacking great dark stain of some unknown source
running right along the front, just behind the front rail, about 2.5
in deep, and the full width of the top.

I've tried various cleaners on it, but nothing has any effect at all.
Curiously, the underside is also stained in the exact same place,
except it's stained lighter. It's almost like the black colour
underneath has been forced up through the top.

Anybody got any ideas on how I could fix up this unsightly stain? Any
nuggets or other treatment that is the "right" shade of tan that I
could put on it to at least mask it a little?
Old December 2nd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

i bet you are right about the stain coming from the underside of the top and
working its way up to outside. i could see this happening if someone put
something large and slimy on the deck behind the seats when the top was
folded down (staining the underside of the top).
this would suggest that cleaning from the underside might be the way to go.
but if there has been a chemical reaction between whatever caused the stain
and the vinyl coating on the top then i doubt you can reverse it. perhaps
you can mask the color on the outside with some sort of vinyl restoration
product. but i don't think you can stain a vinyl top. why not call some
detailers and see what they suggest. here's one that has a comprehensive
product line and might have dealt with something like this before...
http://www.detailersparadise.com

Old December 2nd 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lgadbois[_2_]

If you knew the reason for the stain, it would be easier to clean or repair
the area. It can be difficult to determine the cause of the discoloration on
the top. Dirt, soot, heat damage, paint overspray, defective manufacturing,
etc, are some of the possible reasons.

If it was my car, and the previous top was black, I would recolor the entire
top black. Vinyl surfaces (coated or solid) can be easily coated. A spray
paint recommended for vinyl or plastic or a leather toner (lacquer based)
would give you the best results. You could also recolor the top in a tan
that is similar to the existing color if you would rather retain that shade.

Old December 3rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
James Sleeman

On Dec 3, 2:25 am, pws > wrote:

> Since your last top was black, I am guessing that your interior is black

No, 91 vspec with tan leather interior
Old December 7th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Karl N.

James,
Sorry to chime in late, I've been up in Ontario working. (DAMN it's cold
there) I live in Lafayette LA. I've been a Miata owner for quite some time.
I'm now on my 9th on. I'm back in a '01 Silverstone with matching Hard top.

My housemate Carl is also a Miata owner. He currently has a B&T 99 (yeah
Karl and Carl... go figure)

Regards,
Karl N.

PS - Pat I still have that tonneau cover, pop up windscreen, and trunk bars
if you want them. :-)

"James Sleeman" > wrote in message
>I purchased a used tan top, it was cheap, and had the frame so an easy
> replacement for my old buggered black one, but the reason it was cheap
> is that it has a whacking great dark stain of some unknown source
> running right along the front, just behind the front rail, about 2.5
> in deep, and the full width of the top.
>
> I've tried various cleaners on it, but nothing has any effect at all.
> Curiously, the underside is also stained in the exact same place,
> except it's stained lighter. It's almost like the black colour
> underneath has been forced up through the top.
>
> Anybody got any ideas on how I could fix up this unsightly stain? Any
> nuggets or other treatment that is the "right" shade of tan that I
> could put on it to at least mask it a little?

Convertible window stain issue Mike BMW 2 July 1st 06 02:02 AM
Leakage Stain on Bolt klara Honda 3 January 20th 06 04:33 AM
Vinyl Repair Stephen Horrillo Corvette 9 January 31st 05 04:46 AM
How do I remove TAR/TAR stain from my while paint. Bill Hansen General 0 August 28th 04 12:25 AM
FS: Vinyl Upholstery Kestral Antique cars 0 November 13th 03 08:23 PM