latches at maximum... what else?

Old November 20th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Joaquín Topiso

Default latches at maximum... what else?

Hi there,

Today I've put on my hardtop and the latches seemed loose, so I've tried to
adjust its tension by turning the hex bolts in them. I've found out that
they are already at its maximum, so there is no more thread available for
those adjusting hex bolts.

Can the Frankenstein bolts be adjusted rearwards or something? Any other
ideas?

I'm not even sure if new (and expensive!) latches would sort this out...

thanks!

Old November 21st 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Have you tried doing the adjustment in the opposite direction? I don't have
a clue but some times these things can be counter-intuitive. It's worth a
shot, right?

Chris
99BBB

reenews.net...

Old November 21st 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article ews.net>,
Joaquín Topiso > wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Today I've put on my hardtop and the latches seemed loose, so I've tried to
> adjust its tension by turning the hex bolts in them. I've found out that
> they are already at its maximum, so there is no more thread available for
> those adjusting hex bolts.
>
> Can the Frankenstein bolts be adjusted rearwards or something? Any other
> ideas?
>
> I'm not even sure if new (and expensive!) latches would sort this out...
>
> thanks!

Don't forget that the latches them selves might be moveable. The ones on
the soft top have slotted screw holes, IIRC.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old November 21st 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
r0lliSl1fe

On Nov 20, 5:26 pm, Joaquín Topiso > wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Today I've put on my hardtop and the latches seemed loose, so I've tried to
> adjust its tension by turning the hex bolts in them. I've found out that
> they are already at its maximum, so there is no more thread available for
> those adjusting hex bolts.
>
> Can the Frankenstein bolts be adjusted rearwards or something? Any other
> ideas?
>
> I'm not even sure if new (and expensive!) latches would sort this out...
>
> thanks!

The metal part of the hardtop that actually attaches to the
Frankenstein bolts is adjustable by about 3/4" forwards or backwards
on each side. This is probably an adjustment everyone should
investigate. To get to this, use a Philips head on the horizontal
screws (careful, they're short) on each of these metal panels. Take
those screws out and the top half of the panel will swing around to
reveal the fun plastic bit that hooks on to the f-bolts. Loosen the
bolts inside (8mm IIRC) and move the hook forward or back to adjust.
I also put some washers underneath that part (between it and the part
it mounts to), which raised it up, and helped me to further tighten
down the rear end of the hardtop.

You should make sure you're using the side latches as well. They have
made the biggest difference out of all.

One last note: my front latches are the loosest part of my hardtop
assembly process...but I don't doubt that my hardtop is as tight and
secure as it can be. Make the judgment yourself.

-r0ll
Old November 21st 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Joaquín Topiso

Alan Baker wrote:
> In article ews.net>,
> Joaquín Topiso > wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Today I've put on my hardtop and the latches seemed loose, so I've
>> tried to adjust its tension by turning the hex bolts in them. I've
>> found out that they are already at its maximum, so there is no more
>> thread available for those adjusting hex bolts.
>>
>> Can the Frankenstein bolts be adjusted rearwards or something? Any
>> other ideas?
>>
>> I'm not even sure if new (and expensive!) latches would sort this
>> out...
>>
>> thanks!

> Don't forget that the latches them selves might be moveable. The ones
> on the soft top have slotted screw holes, IIRC.

I'll have a look. Thank you!

Old November 21st 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Joaquín Topiso

r0lliSl1fe wrote:
> The metal part of the hardtop that actually attaches to the
> Frankenstein bolts is adjustable by about 3/4" forwards or backwards
> on each side. This is probably an adjustment everyone should
> investigate. To get to this, use a Philips head on the horizontal
> screws (careful, they're short) on each of these metal panels. Take
> those screws out and the top half of the panel will swing around to
> reveal the fun plastic bit that hooks on to the f-bolts. Loosen the
> bolts inside (8mm IIRC) and move the hook forward or back to adjust.
> I also put some washers underneath that part (between it and the part
> it mounts to), which raised it up, and helped me to further tighten
> down the rear end of the hardtop.
>
> You should make sure you're using the side latches as well. They have
> made the biggest difference out of all.

Wow! I will investigate those bright mistery metal boxes There seems to
be plenty of potential

> One last note: my front latches are the loosest part of my hardtop
> assembly process...but I don't doubt that my hardtop is as tight and
> secure as it can be. Make the judgment yourself.

Thank you very much. The facts a

-It seems loose
-It makes noises over low speed bumps (specially on single wheel bumps,
where it sounds like if it was comlpetely loose!)
-At "high speed" driving (i mean over 140kph or so) you can feel aerodynamic
noises coming from the front top end.

I hope I am able to fix all this before good weather cames back!

Old November 22nd 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
r0lliSl1fe

On Nov 21, 6:20 pm, Joaquín Topiso > wrote:
> r0lliSl1fe wrote:
> > The metal part of the hardtop that actually attaches to the
> > Frankenstein bolts is adjustable by about 3/4" forwards or backwards
> > on each side. This is probably an adjustment everyone should
> > investigate. To get to this, use a Philips head on the horizontal
> > screws (careful, they're short) on each of these metal panels. Take
> > those screws out and the top half of the panel will swing around to
> > reveal the fun plastic bit that hooks on to the f-bolts. Loosen the
> > bolts inside (8mm IIRC) and move the hook forward or back to adjust.
> > I also put some washers underneath that part (between it and the part
> > it mounts to), which raised it up, and helped me to further tighten
> > down the rear end of the hardtop.

> > You should make sure you're using the side latches as well. They have
> > made the biggest difference out of all.

> Wow! I will investigate those bright mistery metal boxes There seems to
> be plenty of potential
>
> > One last note: my front latches are the loosest part of my hardtop
> > assembly process...but I don't doubt that my hardtop is as tight and
> > secure as it can be. Make the judgment yourself.

> Thank you very much. The facts a
>
> -It seems loose
> -It makes noises over low speed bumps (specially on single wheel bumps,
> where it sounds like if it was comlpetely loose!)
> -At "high speed" driving (i mean over 140kph or so) you can feel aerodynamic
> noises coming from the front top end.
>
> I hope I am able to fix all this before good weather cames back!

I forgot to mention...for noisiness, check out where the hard top has
those tabs that hold down the soft top and keep it from rattling
around...the latches and these tabs rattle around with each other all
the time in mine, so I tuck the corners of the blanket I cover the
soft top with between these two metal bits. This helps with noise at
slow speed!

Best,
r0ll
Old November 22nd 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Joaquín Topiso

r0lliSl1fe wrote:

> I forgot to mention...for noisiness, check out where the hard top has
> those tabs that hold down the soft top and keep it from rattling
> around...the latches and these tabs rattle around with each other all
> the time in mine, so I tuck the corners of the blanket I cover the
> soft top with between these two metal bits. This helps with noise at
> slow speed!

mmm.... tabs? I'll have a closer look!

By the way, I've looked into those mistery boxes, and I've seen I have
something to experiment with during the weekend. I'll post a progress update
next week...

thanks!

Old November 25th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Joaquín Topiso

r0lliSl1fe wrote:

> The metal part of the hardtop that actually attaches to the
> Frankenstein bolts is adjustable by about 3/4" forwards or backwards
> on each side. This is probably an adjustment everyone should
> investigate. To get to this, use a Philips head on the horizontal
> screws (careful, they're short) on each of these metal panels. Take
> those screws out and the top half of the panel will swing around to
> reveal the fun plastic bit that hooks on to the f-bolts. Loosen the
> bolts inside (8mm IIRC) and move the hook forward or back to adjust.
> I also put some washers underneath that part (between it and the part
> it mounts to), which raised it up, and helped me to further tighten
> down the rear end of the hardtop.

I have tried to tighten the hard top by moving those u-shape things which
match the frankenstein-bolts, but the nosies are still there. The front
latches are still un-tigth, and no further adjustment is possible.

I will try to move the position of the latches on the top, by making a
little slot on the bolt holes if necesary, to see if this will help.

I've seen the tabs you mentioned to hold the soft-top in place while the
hard top is on. They are fine, and the problem doesn't seem to come from
there...

Thank you and regards.

Old November 26th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
r0lliSl1fe

On Nov 25, 2:44 pm, Joaquín Topiso > wrote:
> r0lliSl1fe wrote:
>
> > The metal part of the hardtop that actually attaches to the
> > Frankenstein bolts is adjustable by about 3/4" forwards or backwards
> > on each side. This is probably an adjustment everyone should
> > investigate. To get to this, use a Philips head on the horizontal
> > screws (careful, they're short) on each of these metal panels. Take
> > those screws out and the top half of the panel will swing around to
> > reveal the fun plastic bit that hooks on to the f-bolts. Loosen the
> > bolts inside (8mm IIRC) and move the hook forward or back to adjust.
> > I also put some washers underneath that part (between it and the part
> > it mounts to), which raised it up, and helped me to further tighten
> > down the rear end of the hardtop.

> I have tried to tighten the hard top by moving those u-shape things which
> match the frankenstein-bolts, but the nosies are still there. The front
> latches are still un-tigth, and no further adjustment is possible.
>
> I will try to move the position of the latches on the top, by making a
> little slot on the bolt holes if necesary, to see if this will help.
>
> I've seen the tabs you mentioned to hold the soft-top in place while the
> hard top is on. They are fine, and the problem doesn't seem to come from
> there...
>
> Thank you and regards.

At this point I'd try having a friend survey the source of the noise
from the passenger seat while you drive...this is a great way to track
down rattles.

Also, try putting on the latches in a different order...if you were
doing the side latches first, do the front first, or visa versa.

-r0ll

VW PASSAT DOOR LATCHES richymack VW water cooled 0 December 11th 06 09:49 PM
Convertible top header latches billccm Chrysler 5 November 23rd 06 02:18 PM
Z3 1998 Maximum Coolant Level Randy BMW 1 August 24th 06 05:23 PM
Maximum Tire Size.... Hank Jeep 12 December 10th 05 07:26 PM
Maximum Care - Coverage [email protected] Chrysler 1 January 15th 05 04:57 PM