Warning light

Old August 1st 07, 07:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
fredy[_2_]

Default Warning light

I have a BMW 320i e30 1991 model. My problem is the warning light
above the rear view mirror which read OVERHEAT is always on even the
engine is cold and just started in the morning. This happens only two
days ago. Any ideas ?

Old August 1st 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"fredy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a BMW 320i e30 1991 model. My problem is the warning light
> above the rear view mirror which read OVERHEAT is always on even the
> engine is cold and just started in the morning. This happens only two
> days ago. Any ideas ?

Doubt this is the engine, probably something else - e.g. sunroof motor.

OTOH it could be a latched condition e.g. due to boiling dry, for which BMW
want you to take the car to a dealer to check it out for damage.

Old August 1st 07, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
fredy[_2_]

On Aug 1, 7:14 pm, "R. Mark Clayton" >
wrote:
> "fredy" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I have a BMW 320i e30 1991 model. My problem is the warning light
> > above the rear view mirror which read OVERHEAT is always on even the
> > engine is cold and just started in the morning. This happens only two
> > days ago. Any ideas ?

> Doubt this is the engine, probably something else - e.g. sunroof motor.
>
> OTOH it could be a latched condition e.g. due to boiling dry, for which BMW
> want you to take the car to a dealer to check it out for damage.

Thanks for your reply. Just to let you know that my car has no
sunroof. I will appreciate of anymore opinion on this matter.

Old August 1st 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Al[_6_]

> I have a BMW 320i e30 1991 model. My problem is the warning light
> above the rear view mirror which read OVERHEAT is always on even the
> engine is cold and just started in the morning. This happens only two
> days ago. Any ideas ?

One of the temperature sensor connections has come off? Have a look at the
one near the thermostat housing as a first try.

Al.
Old August 2nd 07, 05:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
fredy[_2_]

On Aug 1, 10:49 pm, Al > wrote:
> > I have a BMW 320i e30 1991 model. My problem is the warning light
> > above the rear view mirror which read OVERHEAT is always on even the
> > engine is cold and just started in the morning. This happens only two
> > days ago. Any ideas ?

> One of the temperature sensor connections has come off? Have a look at the
> one near the thermostat housing as a first try.
>
> Al.

Thanks Al, Yes an auto electrician at a independent garage have check
that and the temp. gauge at the dashboard is responding to it. Then he
recommend changing the sensor besides it (color blue), but after
changing it with a new one, still the light is on. From there we stop.

Old August 2nd 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Al[_6_]

> Thanks Al, Yes an auto electrician at a independent garage have check
> that and the temp. gauge at the dashboard is responding to it. Then he
> recommend changing the sensor besides it (color blue), but after
> changing it with a new one, still the light is on.

There are 2 temperature sensors, I just had a guess at which one it might
be! The other sensor is in the block somewhere - Sorry can't be more
specific as my E30 has been off the road for a few months and I don't have
time to check out the other location:-(

This really does sound like a trivial electrical fault, don't give up. My
E30 has never given a sensible temperature reading in the 10 years that
I've owned it. I've had the dial off the scale, spent ages bleeding the
cooling system (actually really easy when you know how!) and still my temp
gauge is random. I guess it's some failed componemt in the dash. My view is
that it's still running after years of supposed 'problems', so WTF :-)

Al.
Old August 3rd 07, 10:20 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
fredy[_2_]

On Aug 2, 11:16 pm, Al > wrote:
> > Thanks Al, Yes an auto electrician at a independent garage have check
> > that and the temp. gauge at the dashboard is responding to it. Then he
> > recommend changing the sensor besides it (color blue), but after
> > changing it with a new one, still the light is on.

> There are 2 temperature sensors, I just had a guess at which one it might
> be! The other sensor is in the block somewhere - Sorry can't be more
> specific as my E30 has been off the road for a few months and I don't have
> time to check out the other location:-(
>
> This really does sound like a trivial electrical fault, don't give up. My
> E30 has never given a sensible temperature reading in the 10 years that
> I've owned it. I've had the dial off the scale, spent ages bleeding the
> cooling system (actually really easy when you know how!) and still my temp
> gauge is random. I guess it's some failed componemt in the dash. My view is
> that it's still running after years of supposed 'problems', so WTF :-)
>
> Al.

Its ok, my car is running well despite the warning light. I'm just
ignoring it. Thanks again!

TDI Warning light David VW water cooled 6 June 29th 07 01:40 AM
Air Bag Warning Light Sam[_4_] BMW 2 March 8th 07 02:29 AM
Re Accord with brake light warning light keeps coming on. Jacko Honda 3 October 28th 05 01:23 AM