Mustang Sales, Specialty Models

Old March 10th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

Default Mustang Sales, Specialty Models

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
> My Name Is Nobody wrote:

>>> My Mother drove a 1979 four wheel drive Eagle for a couple of years. It
>>> was a decent car in its day and somewhat ahead of its time.

>> Naw, something more on the order of the little 1971-1974 Javelin AMX ...

> The are better models to bring back to life but AMC was ahead of the curve
> with the Eagle. It had four doors, great ground clearance, compact and
> got decent mileage. Here's more than you ever cared to know about the
> car: http://amceaglenest.com/history1980.html

Yes it was. Funny AMC built the first CROSSOVER vehicle in 1980... LOL

Old March 10th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article <ewsIh.38$8o1.30@trndny01>, My Name Is Nobody wrote:

> We are not talking about how different the cars of the 60's and 70's cars
> are from those of today. That is self evident. We are saying GM can't
> just slap a old well liked name badge on a car that has ZERO styling ques of
> that car and expect the fans of that name plate to jump on board with it.
> This was proven, by the lack luster sales and short 2 year run...

Like the '74 GTO or the 80s 422, or the current malibu or impala....

> Just saw a Marauder today, this car did not fail for the same reason the
> newest GTO did.

Nah... when ford changes around the trim on a boring sedan and slaps a classic
badge on it without any of the classic styling cues.... it's different...

> Some of the reasons the Marauder failed are because Ford keeps trying to
> build sports sedans, but can't seem to understand who their market is for
> sports sedans.

Sure it's not because it lacked any Marauder styling cues?

> The Marauder needed about 100 more horsepower then it came with and they
> absolutely needed a manual transmission. If Ford would have aimed it at
> true driving enthusiast rather than the "RICE" crowd I would have bought
> one, well if they would have been less anemic and had a manual
> transmission....

That's what happens when you base it on a existing car like that.... but
wait... when GM did that it was a horrible abortion of a car... with ford it
was just misguided and dumb.

> Ford seems to have figured out what I want with the Shelby GT500, but now
> they won't build enough to go around....

Gee... who saw that coming?

> Now how nice would the Marauder be with the GT500's 500 horsepower engine
> and 6 speed gearbox? I would buy one...

In a crown victoria / gran marquis body without any Marauder styling cues?

Old March 12th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Thomas Hart[_1_]

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 19:34:29 -0500 Michael Johnson > wrote
in Message id: >:

>I loved that car. It had wonderful little styling touches all through
>the car inside and out. Things like a real wood veneer dash face, the
>chromed steel grating on the console, the grill intake mesh, louvered
>tail lights (a feature only found on the 1966 model) and the small
>nostril hood scoop to name a few. It had a 389 with a Carter four
>barrel and a two speed auto.

Or 3 2bbl which they called Tri-power. A pity they dropped that option in
'67. While it didn't make a whole lot of difference power-wise, it sure
looked impressive.
Old March 12th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Thomas Hart wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 19:34:29 -0500 Michael Johnson > wrote
> in Message id: >:
>
>> I loved that car. It had wonderful little styling touches all through
>> the car inside and out. Things like a real wood veneer dash face, the
>> chromed steel grating on the console, the grill intake mesh, louvered
>> tail lights (a feature only found on the 1966 model) and the small
>> nostril hood scoop to name a few. It had a 389 with a Carter four
>> barrel and a two speed auto.

> Or 3 2bbl which they called Tri-power. A pity they dropped that option in
> '67. While it didn't make a whole lot of difference power-wise, it sure
> looked impressive.

I tried to find a Tri-Power setup but couldn't get a complete. They do
look cool but, you're right, they didn't add much power.