E34 temp gauge being weird. Help?!!

Old July 30th 07, 07:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pest

Default E34 temp gauge being weird. Help?!!

After being stuck in very slow, heavy traffic for an hour (South Mimms, 30th
July, overturned lorry? Grrrr.) my E34 temp shot up to just under red. Got
it to side of motorway and let it cool down. Seemed ok.
However, temp gauge started dropping to cold then back up again repeatedly.
Got to where I was heading and checked coolant level but no problem there.

Came back to it a few hours later and temp gauge just didnt seem to work at
first then went up to normal (half way) then down again. More importantly,
it wont blow hot air any more through the vents, just under the ashtray?!!?

Thermostat?
Temp sender?
Any ideas?

Cheers all.

Old July 30th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Din

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...Capacitors.htm

read artical on this link above and i think this will solve your problem,it
seams that your problem is comon problem on many BMW E34,E30 model's...

hope I helped you..

Old July 31st 07, 07:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pest

Thanks.
Dosen't seem to be a gauge related issue but more of a bleed problem. Am
going to change the thermostat at the same time as its quite cheap.

Cheers.

"Din" > wrote in message
> http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...Capacitors.htm
>
> read artical on this link above and i think this will solve your
> problem,it seams that your problem is comon problem on many BMW E34,E30
> model's...
>
> hope I helped you..
>

> "pest" > wrote in message
>> After being stuck in very slow, heavy traffic for an hour (South Mimms,
>> 30th July, overturned lorry? Grrrr.) my E34 temp shot up to just under
>> red. Got it to side of motorway and let it cool down. Seemed ok.
>> However, temp gauge started dropping to cold then back up again
>> repeatedly. Got to where I was heading and checked coolant level but no
>> problem there.
>>
>> Came back to it a few hours later and temp gauge just didnt seem to work
>> at first then went up to normal (half way) then down again. More
>> importantly, it wont blow hot air any more through the vents, just under
>> the ashtray?!!?
>>
>> Thermostat?
>> Temp sender?
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Cheers all.

Analog gauge displays hotter temp than digital gauge on 96 Corvette DC Corvette 2 February 6th 06 04:49 PM
oil temp gauge Stef Audi 7 January 19th 06 01:15 AM
temp gauge Tony Jeep 1 December 8th 05 11:24 PM
Temp gauge acting weird b.clausen Chrysler 6 April 1st 05 05:03 PM
98' Jetta fuel quantity gauge and coolant temp gauge problem. Paynter7378 VW water cooled 1 March 7th 05 01:59 PM