Fuel Level Troubles on an E46

Old July 30th 07, 02:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

Default Fuel Level Troubles on an E46

I'm on my 2nd E36 that had fuel level problems where it was reported that
the tank was empty after I had filled it.

My daughter has an E46 that displays remaining fuel/distance but is actually
empty and the local tow truck is in the immediate future. .

My E36s required me to pull the fuel level sensors and clean the contact
strip, but I'm not sure what the repair is for the E46 because the symptom
set is opposite that of the E36.

Do you of you guys have experience with the E46 reporting that there is
remaining fuel (and distance) but limps to the side of the roadway as the
fuel pump is sucking air?

Old July 30th 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jerry[_6_]

I haven't seen this (yet) - and I've driven my 2001 325Cic E46 down below
"40 miles remaining" on the dashboard... I hope it's a simple fix!

Old July 30th 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
anoop

On Jul 29, 6:37 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:

> Do you of you guys have experience with the E46 reporting that there is
> remaining fuel (and distance) but limps to the side of the roadway as the
> fuel pump is sucking air?

In my case, the gauge used to show near full for a long period
of time, and then suddenly start racing towards the empty mark.
The low fuel warning light was always pretty accurate. I don't
have an onboard computer (mine is a stripped down version
with no options other than the sunroof) so I never had something
to tell me remaining distance.

Anoop

Old July 31st 07, 10:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ranger

On 30 Jul, 14:45, anoop > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 6:37 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
>
> > Do you of you guys have experience with the E46 reporting that there is
> > remaining fuel (and distance) but limps to the side of the roadway as the
> > fuel pump is sucking air?

Lowest I've gone is 30 miles reported left without any problems. Not
heard of the problem till your post. Let us all know if you get to the
bottom of it.

Ranger