shocking

Old October 18th 12, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default shocking

Looks like I need new shocks. The old
Edelbrock IAS ones lasted quite a long time
but nothing lasts forever.

Looking at the Bilstein HD or possibly
Rancho RS 5000

Any thoughts?

The ZJ isn't lifted but I do get in a mix
of highway and moderate trail. Need something
that doesn't loosen my fillings.

--
DougW

Old October 18th 12, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

DougW wrote:
> Looks like I need new shocks. The old
> Edelbrock IAS ones lasted quite a long time
> but nothing lasts forever.
>
> Looking at the Bilstein HD or possibly
> Rancho RS 5000
>

> Any thoughts?
>
> The ZJ isn't lifted but I do get in a mix
> of highway and moderate trail. Need something
> that doesn't loosen my fillings.

Well, after talking to a few folks that suggested
either the Rancho 9000 (115 ea) with a buy 3 get
one free deal... I decided to save money and go
with the Bilstein at $65.

Oddly, Autozone had the best price.

--
rbg

Old October 20th 12, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 10/18/2012 5:58 PM, DougW wrote:
> DougW wrote:
>> Looks like I need new shocks. The old
>> Edelbrock IAS ones lasted quite a long time
>> but nothing lasts forever.
>>
>> Looking at the Bilstein HD or possibly
>> Rancho RS 5000
>>

>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> The ZJ isn't lifted but I do get in a mix
>> of highway and moderate trail. Need something
>> that doesn't loosen my fillings.

> Well, after talking to a few folks that suggested
> either the Rancho 9000 (115 ea) with a buy 3 get
> one free deal... I decided to save money and go
> with the Bilstein at $65.
>
> Oddly, Autozone had the best price.

Don't forget Rock Auto, they may carry one or the other, and some of the
stuff I get from them is cheaper than any other source I use.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old October 20th 12, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

PeterD wrote:
> On 10/18/2012 5:58 PM, DougW wrote:
>> DougW wrote:
>>> Looks like I need new shocks. The old
>>> Edelbrock IAS ones lasted quite a long time
>>> but nothing lasts forever.
>>>
>>> Looking at the Bilstein HD or possibly
>>> Rancho RS 5000
>>>

>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> The ZJ isn't lifted but I do get in a mix
>>> of highway and moderate trail. Need something
>>> that doesn't loosen my fillings.

>> Well, after talking to a few folks that suggested
>> either the Rancho 9000 (115 ea) with a buy 3 get
>> one free deal... I decided to save money and go
>> with the Bilstein at $65.
>>
>> Oddly, Autozone had the best price.
>>

> Don't forget Rock Auto, they may carry one or the other, and some of
> the stuff I get from them is cheaper than any other source I use.

Yep. I checked. Taxes and shipping worked out to be about the same.

Should get the shocks in Monday/Tuesday and providing the auto hobby
shop isn't booked solid I'll get the fronts on. Backs are easy, the
fronts have that stupid strut-like top nut that requires an impact
wrench.

Then again, Hibdon tires offered to do the job for $15/shock. Might just
do the rears then have Hibdon do the front. Would only be $10 more than
the hobby shop fee.

--
DougW

Old October 22nd 12, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 10/20/2012 11:20 AM, DougW wrote:

> Yep. I checked. Taxes and shipping worked out to be about the same.

Not surprised... Some things are much cheaper there, other things are
not. We buy bulk from them (20-50 of a given item) so shipping is
nominal when spread over the entire order.

> Should get the shocks in Monday/Tuesday and providing the auto hobby
> shop isn't booked solid I'll get the fronts on. Backs are easy, the
> fronts have that stupid strut-like top nut that requires an impact
> wrench.
>
> Then again, Hibdon tires offered to do the job for $15/shock. Might just
> do the rears then have Hibdon do the front. Would only be $10 more than
> the hobby shop fee.

For that price, I'd let 'em do all four! But certainly the front ones,
unless you really like doing shocks. Me, shocks are one job that I'd
just as soon have help with. Rusty bolts, dirt falling on me, etc.,
makes it a thankless job.

Good luck!

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old October 23rd 12, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

PeterD wrote:
> On 10/20/2012 11:20 AM, DougW wrote:
>
>> Yep. I checked. Taxes and shipping worked out to be about the same.

> Not surprised... Some things are much cheaper there, other things are
> not. We buy bulk from them (20-50 of a given item) so shipping is
> nominal when spread over the entire order.
>

>> Should get the shocks in Monday/Tuesday and providing the auto hobby
>> shop isn't booked solid I'll get the fronts on. Backs are easy, the
>> fronts have that stupid strut-like top nut that requires an impact
>> wrench.
>>
>> Then again, Hibdon tires offered to do the job for $15/shock. Might
>> just do the rears then have Hibdon do the front. Would only be $10
>> more than the hobby shop fee.
>>

> For that price, I'd let 'em do all four! But certainly the front ones,
> unless you really like doing shocks. Me, shocks are one job that I'd
> just as soon have help with. Rusty bolts, dirt falling on me, etc.,
> makes it a thankless job.
>
> Good luck!

So far so good.

The back two Edelbrock IAS shocks were in **** poor shape.
One didn't even take any effort to compress! I'd say it
was dead. At any rate the bushing on one was totally shot.
Guess I found my rattle in the back then. ^_^

The Bilstein shocks would have taken a lot of effort to
compress had I not connected brain cells A and B to realize
that jacking up the frame would make things easier.
These things have some serious force to compress. I'd
wager the Jeep is now sitting a bit higher.

The fronts are next but they are a strut type and the
drivers side requires removing the brake booster sensor.
(plastic fiddly bit that probably costs a lot if I break it)
Seems to be held on by a spring ring. Gonna have to research
that before I pull it off, just to make sure I don't fark
something up.

Now I have screaming YELLOW shocks peaking out from the jeep.
Looks like a twister game. Green Jeep, red and black bushings,
Yellow shocks. All I'm missing is some blue bushings to make
it a jello pukefest.

--
DougW

Old October 25th 12, 12:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 10/23/2012 6:21 PM, DougW wrote:
> The back two Edelbrock IAS shocks were in **** poor shape.
> One didn't even take any effort to compress! I'd say it
> was dead. At any rate the bushing on one was totally shot.
> Guess I found my rattle in the back then. ^_^

I'm reminded of the time I did front struts on a car. Pulled off the
passenger side and held it up to look at it. The rod slid in with a
clunk... If figured it wasn't doing very much to improve the ride or
handling in that state. The other side was slightly (just slightly) better.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old October 27th 12, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

PeterD wrote:
> On 10/23/2012 6:21 PM, DougW wrote:
>> The back two Edelbrock IAS shocks were in **** poor shape.
>> One didn't even take any effort to compress! I'd say it
>> was dead. At any rate the bushing on one was totally shot.
>> Guess I found my rattle in the back then. ^_^

> I'm reminded of the time I did front struts on a car. Pulled off the
> passenger side and held it up to look at it. The rod slid in with a
> clunk... If figured it wasn't doing very much to improve the ride or
> handling in that state. The other side was slightly (just slightly)
> better.

Well, all done.

I don't understand all the fuss folks seem to have had with those
strut type shocks. It just takes a small box end to hold the shaft
and a wrench to tighten the bolt.

Passenger side was a breeze. Damn shock fell out!

Drivers side was more difficult. Shock is wedged between
the ABS brakes, booster, and intake. I just took the air
box out and removed the washer fluid bottle. That gave
me plenty of room to get in there. This side was FUBAR as
well.... the top bolt was on by a couple of threads!
That wouldn't have been nice to find out offroad.... :O

I thought about taking some photos or making a U-tube
but honestly I needed to get the dang shocks in and there
isn't that much light to fark around.

--
DougW

The shocking truth about electric cars J R[_2_] Technology 30 September 9th 11 12:38 AM
Shocking new 3D speed bump illusion of girl crossing the road thatsuddenly 'appears' in front of drivers Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS Driving 23 September 12th 10 10:37 PM
Shocking photo brad herschel Driving 0 June 10th 10 02:13 PM
shocking whipers Dano Audi 1 July 14th 04 07:40 PM