it is time for New BMW Autos?

Old January 23rd 09, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default it is time for New BMW Autos?

while the economy is going down the drain right now. That being said
is it a good idea to buy a new car? I do like the 2009 BMW 1 Series
http://ibmwblog.com/2009-bmw-1-series/
how about you think?
Old January 23rd 09, 03:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
carguygarrett

On Jan 22, 8:29*pm, " > wrote:
> while the economy is going down the drain right now. That being said
> is it a good idea to buy a new car? I do like the 2009 BMW 1 Serieshttp://ibmwblog.com/2009-bmw-1-series/
> how about you think?

The 1 series was designed or modeled after the old 2002 model which
was an affordable 4 cylinder. If BMW wants to attract new younger
lifelong consumers, they need to drop a solid 4 banger in the 1
series; then we will see more of them on the road and BMW will win new
clients once they get addicted to the quality of the brand. My dad
priced a 1 series and the total came to $44K plus. He is keeping his
mint condition 1994 3 series.
Old January 23rd 09, 06:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Jan 23, 7:19*am, carguygarrett > wrote:
> On Jan 22, 8:29*pm, " > wrote:
>
> > while the economy is going down the drain right now. That being said
> > is it a good idea to buy a new car? I do like the 2009 BMW 1 Serieshttp://ibmwblog.com/2009-bmw-1-series/
> > how about you think?

> The 1 series was designed or modeled after the old 2002 model which
> was an affordable 4 cylinder. If BMW wants to attract new younger
> lifelong consumers, they need to drop a solid 4 banger in the 1
> series; then we will see more of them on the road and BMW will win new
> clients once they get addicted to the quality of the brand. My dad
> priced a 1 series and the total came to $44K plus. He is keeping his
> mint condition 1994 3 series.

Where are you located? BMW does sell the 1 Series with 4 cylinder
engines in both gas and diesel in just about every market around the
world! Of course, if you're in the US, then you're out of luck.

I agree that BMW prices are outrageous, especially in these hard
economic times, but hey, BMWNA wants buyers to believe its a "luxury"
brand and people are suppose to only pay top dollar. Good Luck With
That!
Old January 23rd 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

carguygarrett > wrote:
>The 1 series was designed or modeled after the old 2002 model which
>was an affordable 4 cylinder. If BMW wants to attract new younger
>lifelong consumers, they need to drop a solid 4 banger in the 1
>series; then we will see more of them on the road and BMW will win new
>clients once they get addicted to the quality of the brand.

I agree, but I will point out that compared with the 2002, the 1 series
is actually a pretty big car. It's almost as big as the 3 series, and
the current 3 series is as big as my E28.

If you want performance, economy, and reduced purchase price, reduce
the size of the car.

>My dad
>priced a 1 series and the total came to $44K plus. He is keeping his
>mint condition 1994 3 series.

Yes, but you'll also note that $44k comes with a billion "standard options"
which you cannot remove from the package in the US. That's even more of
a killer to my mind.
--scott

Old January 24th 09, 02:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
carguygarrett

On Jan 23, 2:12*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> carguygarrett > wrote:
> >The 1 series was designed or modeled after the old 2002 model which
> >was an affordable 4 cylinder. If BMW wants to attract new younger
> >lifelong consumers, they need to drop a solid 4 banger in the 1
> >series; then we will see more of them on the road and BMW will win new
> >clients once they get addicted to the quality of the brand.

> I agree, but I will point out that compared with the 2002, the 1 series
> is actually a pretty big car. *It's almost as big as the 3 series, and
> the current 3 series is as big as my E28. *
>
> If you want performance, economy, and reduced purchase price, reduce
> the size of the car.
>
> >My dad
> >priced a 1 series and the total came to $44K plus. He is keeping his
> >mint condition 1994 3 series.

> Yes, but you'll also note that $44k comes with a billion "standard options"
> which you cannot remove from the package in the US. *That's even more of
> a killer to my mind.
> --scott
>
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

I drive an attractive e28 as well--an '88 528e with over 250,000 miles
(it has more--just not certain how many as I have not yet fixed the
broken odometer). I have owned several BMWs all others newer than this
one. My e28 has been a solid performer and people often comment on how
much room it has on the inside. As much as I like newer BMW models, I
must say this has been a reliable and fun daily driver. I bought it
for $3,100 in 2006 and it blends in to the car culture here in
Phoenix. It is well-liked by the parking valets in Scottsdale--as it
seems to end up near the key board and front door whenever I come out
of restaurants to get my car. Certainly they must know something or
just like it because it's fun, older, rare, and respected by most car
people.
Old January 24th 09, 02:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

carguygarrett > wrote:
>I drive an attractive e28 as well--an '88 528e with over 250,000 miles
>(it has more--just not certain how many as I have not yet fixed the
>broken odometer).

Let me offhandedly recommend the guys at odometergears.com. I had a
gear failure a couple years ago, and it took me less than an hour to
swap all of the delrin gears out with his replacements. Well worth it
just so I know when to do scheduled maintenance.

>I have owned several BMWs all others newer than this
>one. My e28 has been a solid performer and people often comment on how
>much room it has on the inside. As much as I like newer BMW models, I
>must say this has been a reliable and fun daily driver. I bought it
>for $3,100 in 2006 and it blends in to the car culture here in
>Phoenix. It is well-liked by the parking valets in Scottsdale--as it
>seems to end up near the key board and front door whenever I come out
>of restaurants to get my car. Certainly they must know something or
>just like it because it's fun, older, rare, and respected by most car
>people.

It's a fun car, and I enjoy the hell out of mine even though it clearly
had been abused by the first owner... after ten years and a couple hundred
thousand miles that I have put on it, I am still finding interesting "repair"
work here and there. But it's a fun car to drive, and it makes me smile.

My objection with most of the newer BMW models is that they don't make
me smile any more. The 135, though... that made me smile a whole lot
when I drove it. It's a big car still... but because it's a big car
it should have a place in the American market and I don't know why BMW NA
isn't picking it up.
--scott

Old January 24th 09, 05:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>The 135, though... that made me smile a whole lot
>when I drove it. It's a big car still... but because it's a big car
>it should have a place in the American market and I don't know why BMW NA
>isn't picking it up.

Eh? The 135 is available in the US. I agree that it's too big,
though, as is the 3, IMO. As much as the car magazines drool about
how cars like the new M3 "hide" their weight, the sedan is 3700 pounds
going down the road. The convertible is over 4100 pounds. That's
never going to feel light and nimble.

Hell, I always felt my Supra TT was somewhat lardy at 3500 pounds.
The weight is understandable, considering it's an open-top car and
shares it "brick ****house" platform with the Lexus SC of that era.
Understandable, but still too heavy for a proper "sports car".

Where's the weight going in these new cars? I few more air bags, but
they don't weigh that much...

Old January 24th 09, 05:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
tom_k

"bjn" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:19:40 -0800 (PST), carguygarrett
> > wrote:
>
>>On Jan 22, 8:29 pm, " > wrote:
>>> while the economy is going down the drain right now. That being said
>>> is it a good idea to buy a new car? I do like the 2009 BMW 1
>>> Serieshttp://ibmwblog.com/2009-bmw-1-series/
>>> how about you think?

>>The 1 series was designed or modeled after the old 2002 model which
>>was an affordable 4 cylinder. If BMW wants to attract new younger
>>lifelong consumers, they need to drop a solid 4 banger in the 1
>>series; then we will see more of them on the road and BMW will win new
>>clients once they get addicted to the quality of the brand. My dad
>>priced a 1 series and the total came to $44K plus. He is keeping his
>>mint condition 1994 3 series.

> That is what I have heard from my friend about the 1-series. Price is
> not
> a differentiator from the 3-series, so then, what is the differentiator?
>
> Why would someone choose a 1-series instead of a 3-series?

In the U.S. the 1 coupes start at under $31,000 including delivery and list
for $7,000 less than the 3 coupes - the differential rises to over $10,000
for the convertibles. While the 1 is only about 6" shorter than the 3, the
1 series weighs 200~300lbs. less than the comparable 3 series models.

My 128i convertible has a bit more room for the driver than my E46 sedan,
more supportive sport seats, outhandles the E46, and offers an equally
comfortable ride, even with the stock run-flats.

Tom

Old January 24th 09, 10:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ron

bfd > wrote:

> On Jan 23, 7:19 am, carguygarrett > wrote: > On
> Jan 22, 8:29 pm, " > wrote: > > >
> while the economy is going down the drain right now. That being said > >
> is it a good idea to buy a new car? I do like the 2009 BMW 1
> Serieshttp://ibmwblog.com/2009-bmw-1-series/ > > how about you think? > >
> The 1 series was designed or modeled after the old 2002 model which > was
> an affordable 4 cylinder. If BMW wants to attract new younger > lifelong
> consumers, they need to drop a solid 4 banger in the 1 > series; then we
> will see more of them on the road and BMW will win new > clients once they
> get addicted to the quality of the brand. My dad > priced a 1 series and
> the total came to $44K plus. He is keeping his > mint condition 1994 3
> series.
>
> Where are you located? BMW does sell the 1 Series with 4 cylinder engines
> in both gas and diesel in just about every market around the world! Of
> course, if you're in the US, then you're out of luck.
>
> I agree that BMW prices are outrageous, especially in these hard economic
> times, but hey, BMWNA wants buyers to believe its a "luxury" brand and
> people are suppose to only pay top dollar. Good Luck With That!

I think I speak for at least a few potential buyers when I say that the
lack of 4-bangers in the US is pretty annoying. I'll hold onto my '91
E30 318i 'till the wheels fall off. Then what? If I'm lucky enough to be
in a position to afford a fairly new bimmer, I won't have any 4-bangers
to choose from. Ack!
Old January 25th 09, 04:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

tom_k wrote:

>"bjn" > wrote:
>>
>> Why would someone choose a 1-series instead of a 3-series?

Beats me.

>In the U.S. the 1 coupes start at under $31,000 including delivery and list
>for $7,000 less than the 3 coupes - the differential rises to over $10,000
>for the convertibles. While the 1 is only about 6" shorter than the 3, the
>1 series weighs 200~300lbs. less than the comparable 3 series models.

Only 100 pounds, comparing the 128 to the 328 coupe.

>My 128i convertible has a bit more room for the driver than my E46 sedan,
>more supportive sport seats, outhandles the E46, and offers an equally
>comfortable ride, even with the stock run-flats.

Outhandles? Pretty damn comparable.