3rd Brakes Light bar '96 Golf

Old February 10th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Andy

Default 3rd Brakes Light bar '96 Golf

My 3rd brake light bar is not working at all, noticed it while
following my wife driving each other's cars. I checked fuses, I assume
it is a wiring harness issue where it goes into the hatchback. Any
BTDT?
TIA
Andy
Old February 10th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

On Feb 10, 8:13 am, Andy > wrote:
> My 3rd brake light bar is not working at all, noticed it while

Hi,
Can you describe what you've tested and the results?

-Tony
Old February 10th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:10:11 -0800 (PST), tonyw >
wrote:

>On Feb 10, 8:13 am, Andy > wrote:
>> My 3rd brake light bar is not working at all, noticed it while

>Hi,
> Can you describe what you've tested and the results?
>
>-Tony

I spent all day trying to figure out why my rear brake lights did not
work but the third brake light did work. I replaced the brake light
switch, checked fuses and just about everything. I then checked out
the actual bulbs and they were broken on both sides. I think I have
had that happen to me twice on different cars. So to expound on Tony's
question, what happened when you applied a known good 12 volts to the
third light bar?
Old February 11th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Since the wiring bends near the hatch hinges, that would be one of the
places I would feel/look for wiring problems.
I think the 3rd brake light gets fed from the left brake light but maybe it
is the right side brake light. <:-o
Test the wiring at the 3rd brake light and see if it has continuity to the
other brake lights.

I was recently sold running light bulbs and AFTER I installed them I
realized they were 6V bulbs. lol
They did not last but a week. :-)

Have fun!

Old February 20th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jeff[_41_]

On Feb 10, 11:13*am, Andy > wrote:
> My 3rd brake light bar is not working at all, noticed it while
> following my wife driving each other's cars. I checked fuses, I assume
> it is a wiring harness issue where it goes into the hatchback. Any
> BTDT?
> TIA
> Andy

This happened recently on my 96 Golf also. The problem was the wiring
in the spongy tube thing at the top right of the hatch back (the
million openings and closings had pinched the wire to the point where
it was contacting the metal in the hatchback). Continuity checks are
the way to chase down your wiring problem.

Jeff