'96 radio

Old November 4th 05, 04:19 AM
XS11E

Default '96 radio

"Frank Berger" > wrote in
:

> "XS11E" > wrote in message

>> According to the manual and the markings on the knobs, the on/off
>> knob controls volume, the rear knob with the little lever
>> controls volume of the headrest speakers only, it's not a fader
>> like most radios have because it doesn't affect the volume of the
>> door speakers.

> One mystery solved. This is not my OEM unit. Couldn't find a
> picture on-line.

Here's mine from the owner's manual:

http://members.cox.net/xs11e/radio.jpg

Old November 4th 05, 08:44 AM
Frank Berger

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "XS11E" > wrote in message

>>> According to the manual and the markings on the knobs, the on/off
>>> knob controls volume, the rear knob with the little lever
>>> controls volume of the headrest speakers only, it's not a fader
>>> like most radios have because it doesn't affect the volume of the
>>> door speakers.

>> One mystery solved. This is not my OEM unit. Couldn't find a
>> picture on-line.

> Here's mine from the owner's manual:
>
> http://members.cox.net/xs11e/radio.jpg

I believe this radio was used in the early '96 models and earlier and
required the Anderson fix or the headrest speakers. There are three listings
of your exact radio on e-bay that all say it is for the 90-97 Miata, but I
think that is wrong.

Old November 4th 05, 12:24 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Frank Berger" > wrote:

>"XS11E" > wrote in message
>> "Frank Berger" > wrote in
>> :

>>> One mystery solved. This is not my OEM unit. Couldn't find a
>>> picture on-line.

>> Here's mine from the owner's manual:
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/xs11e/radio.jpg
>>

>I believe this radio was used in the early '96 models and earlier and

Yes.

>required the Anderson fix or the headrest speakers. There are three listings
>of your exact radio on e-bay that all say it is for the 90-97 Miata, but I
>think that is wrong.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old November 4th 05, 09:17 PM
XS11E

"Frank Berger" > wrote in
:

> I believe this radio was used in the early '96 models and earlier
> and required the Anderson fix or the headrest speakers.

Mine's a 1992. The radio isn't the original one but according to
the owners manual is an exact replacement. The headrest speakers
work fine, don't know what the Anderson fix is?

> There are three listings of your exact radio on e-bay that all say
> it is for the 90-97 Miata, but I think that is wrong.

I think 90-97 is correct. During that time optional sound systems were
offered but I think that's the standard radio.

Old November 4th 05, 10:11 PM
Frank Berger

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I believe this radio was used in the early '96 models and earlier
>> and required the Anderson fix or the headrest speakers.

> Mine's a 1992. The radio isn't the original one but according to
> the owners manual is an exact replacement. The headrest speakers
> work fine, don't know what the Anderson fix is?
>
>> There are three listings of your exact radio on e-bay that all say
>> it is for the 90-97 Miata, but I think that is wrong.

> I think 90-97 is correct. During that time optional sound systems were
> offered but I think that's the standard radio.

No, the base the OEM cassette/radio changed midway through the '96 model
year. I have a late '96, hence the different radio. My base '96 came
without headreast speakers, but the wiring was in place. Whatever the
wiring problem was that required the Anderson fix to hear the headrest
speakers (this can be looked up on miata.net if you're interested), it was
supposedly unncesessary starting with the radio switch.

I was fiddling the the radio today and I may have mischaraterized the
"problem." I can set the volume/fader settings such that I can hear the
headrest speakers fine. But there is no setting where I can also hear the
door speakers. In other words, if I can hear the headrest speakers, I get
no base. If I get base, I can't hear the headrest speakers.

Old November 6th 05, 09:51 PM
Frank Berger

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message

> "XS11E" > wrote in message
>> "Frank Berger" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I believe this radio was used in the early '96 models and earlier
>>> and required the Anderson fix or the headrest speakers.

>> Mine's a 1992. The radio isn't the original one but according to
>> the owners manual is an exact replacement. The headrest speakers
>> work fine, don't know what the Anderson fix is?
>>
>>> There are three listings of your exact radio on e-bay that all say
>>> it is for the 90-97 Miata, but I think that is wrong.

>> I think 90-97 is correct. During that time optional sound systems were
>> offered but I think that's the standard radio.

> No, the base the OEM cassette/radio changed midway through the '96 model
> year. I have a late '96, hence the different radio. My base '96 came
> without headreast speakers, but the wiring was in place. Whatever the
> wiring problem was that required the Anderson fix to hear the headrest
> speakers (this can be looked up on miata.net if you're interested), it was
> supposedly unncesessary starting with the radio switch.
>
> I was fiddling the the radio today and I may have mischaraterized the
> "problem." I can set the volume/fader settings such that I can hear the
> headrest speakers fine. But there is no setting where I can also hear the
> door speakers. In other words, if I can hear the headrest speakers, I get
> no base. If I get base, I can't hear the headrest speakers.

Finally found a picture of my OEM radio/cassette unit.

http://www.miata.net/garage/97hondaCDP.html

Mine is mounted at the top of the double din opening with the cubby
underneath. What I would like to do is fit a Ford radio/cd/cassette double
din unit in there. These are available on ebay. But I don't know what
modifactions would be necessary to fit it and wire it.

Old November 6th 05, 10:08 PM
XS11E

"Frank Berger" > wrote in
:

> What I would like to do is fit a Ford radio/cd/cassette double din
> unit in there. These are available on ebay. But I don't know
> what modifactions would be necessary to fit it and wire it.

No mods to wire it, you can probably get a kit on ebay to plug one to
the other. As far as fitting it, you'd lose the cubby if you install a
double DIN unit, you can keep the cubby with a 1 1/2 din unit. I'd do
w/o a radio before I'd do w/o the cubby but fitting it shouldn't be too
hard, a Ford is a Ford is a Ford even if it says Lincoln, Mercury,
Jaguar, Aston Martin, Volvo, Mazda or Land Rover on the front!

Old November 7th 05, 07:30 PM
Frank Berger

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in
> :
>
>> What I would like to do is fit a Ford radio/cd/cassette double din
>> unit in there. These are available on ebay. But I don't know
>> what modifactions would be necessary to fit it and wire it.

> No mods to wire it, you can probably get a kit on ebay to plug one to
> the other. As far as fitting it, you'd lose the cubby if you install a
> double DIN unit, you can keep the cubby with a 1 1/2 din unit. I'd do
> w/o a radio before I'd do w/o the cubby but fitting it shouldn't be too
> hard, a Ford is a Ford is a Ford even if it says Lincoln, Mercury,
> Jaguar, Aston Martin, Volvo, Mazda or Land Rover on the front!

Well, some of those Ford radios (like theMiata) are supported from the side
(the ones with holes) and some from the bottom. I don't know what kind of
framing mods I would have to maketo put a double din unit into my car.

Replacement for stock 92 Passat radio w/ActivX Edvardo VW water cooled 2 July 26th 05 10:12 PM
Audi Radio: Delta CC in 96 Audi Cab doesn't turn on...... [email protected] Audi 4 March 19th 05 01:28 PM
2004 TJ Radio Removal? Intergate Jeep 2 February 10th 05 01:52 AM
97 explorer radio lights Don-Don Ford Explorer 1 October 27th 04 01:48 AM
On-board Radio Diagnostic Oppie Saturn 0 August 23rd 04 02:39 AM