PICS: BMW delivers FULLY RESTORED 1972 BMW 3.0 CSI

Old July 26th 10, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JLA

Default PICS: BMW delivers FULLY RESTORED 1972 BMW 3.0 CSI

BMW 3.0 CSi premieres at the BMW Welt. The first full restoration of
the new BMW Classic Center is handed back to its delighted owner.

Munich. Wednesday, 7 July 2010 was a red-letter day. The 1972 BMW 3.0
CSi which had been completely restored by the BMW Classic Center's
new Customer Workshop was handed back to its owner at BMW Welt. There
was twofold cause for celebration: the BMW Classic Center was pleased
at having successfully completed its first full restoration since the
opening of the BMW Classic Customer Workshop, while BMW Welt marked
the first occasion on which a classic BMW – rather than a brand-new
car – was delivered to a customer. "The successful restoration
of the BMW 3.0 CSi shows that we are on the right track and that,
together with our partners within the BMW Group network of
facilities, we are capable of restoring vehicles to the highest
quality standards and to individual customer specifications,"
said Ralf Vierlein, Head of Sales and Aftersales at BMW Group
Classic.

In this case, the customer wanted his BMW 3.0 CSi of 1972 transformed
into a perfect state. He also asked for its four-speed manual gearbox
to be converted into an automatic, something that had previously been
done only with two prototypes of the BMW 3.0 CSi. Based on close
collaboration with the BMW Group Archive, which provided the relevant
documentation, the "large Coupé" underwent an authentic
conversion process. It was fitted with an automatic transmission from
a BMW 2.8 CS. The refit and complete overhaul of the vehicle required
months of research and countless hours of manual labour. The experts
at the BMW Classic Center not only had to repair substantial bodywork
damage, but also iron out technical and electronic defects as well as
thoroughly overhaul the interior fittings. The vehicle is now in A1
condition.

BMW Classic Customer Workshop: one-stop shop for all services.

BMW Classic's Customer Workshop is a response to the growing desire
among numerous BMW enthusiasts to own an authentic vehicle that is as
true as possible to its original state and in the best possible
condition. "This workshop is a key element in the realignment of
BMW Classic and our orientation towards customers in the classic
vehicle market," says Karl Baumer, Director of BMW Group
Classic.

In parallel with this, the supply and remanufacturing of components is
being further expanded. Other areas have also been added, such as the
purchase and sale of vehicles, authentication certificates, advice to
buyers, and a worldwide collection and delivery service. The principal
advantage of the BMW Classic Center is that it offers all its services
under one roof. "We have the theoretical knowledge of the
vehicles, the technical expertise, Original BMW Parts, and the
requisite infrastructure to systematically link it all up," adds
Ralf Vierlein.

In future, too, vehicles that have been fully restored by the BMW
Classic Center can be handed over to their owners amid the unmatched
ambience of BMW Welt. A "delivery" of this kind is not just
a unique experience for the owner, but a particularly striking example
of the successful symbiosis of past and present within the BMW Group.

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...57411#57357411

Old July 28th 10, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Jul 26, 1:16*pm, (JLA)
wrote:
> [...]
> being further expanded. Other areas have also been added, such as the
> purchase and sale of vehicles, authentication certificates, advice to
> buyers, and a worldwide collection and delivery service. The principal
> advantage of the BMW Classic Center is that it offers all its services
> under one roof. "We have the theoretical knowledge of the
> vehicles, the technical expertise, Original BMW Parts, and the
> requisite infrastructure to systematically link it all up," adds
> Ralf Vierlein.
>
> In future, too, vehicles that have been fully restored by the BMW
> Classic Center can be handed over to their owners amid the unmatched
> ambience of BMW Welt. A "delivery" of this kind is not just
> a unique experience for the owner, but a particularly striking example
> of the successful symbiosis of past and present within the BMW Group.

Wow, I can't believe the guy mutilated a 3.0CSi by putting in a
slushbox!!! Oh well, the guy must be loaded as I bet it cost quite a
bit to get this thing "restored!" Good Luck!
Old July 29th 10, 06:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"bfd" > wrote in message
On Jul 26, 1:16 pm, (JLA)
wrote:
> [...]
> under one roof. "We have the theoretical knowledge of the
> vehicles, the technical expertise, Original BMW Parts, and the
> requisite infrastructure to systematically link it all up," adds
> Ralf Vierlein.
>
> In future, too, vehicles that have been fully restored by the BMW
> Classic Center can be handed over to their owners amid the unmatched
> ambience of BMW Welt. A "delivery" of this kind is not just
> a unique experience for the owner, but a particularly striking example
> of the successful symbiosis of past and present within the BMW Group.
>
> View the attachments for this post
> at:http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...57411#57357411

Wow, I can't believe the guy mutilated a 3.0CSi by putting in a
slushbox!!! Oh well, the guy must be loaded as I bet it cost quite a
bit to get this thing "restored!" Good Luck!

Neither can I. Ruin a [true] sports coupe by putting in what must be a
pretty basic three speed auto, that is unlikely to make best use of the
engine's power band (not much electronic engine management in 1972!) or even
limit the rev's in low gears.