PICS: Here comes the 2010 BMW X5 M

Old June 28th 10, 09:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JLA

Default PICS: Here comes the 2010 BMW X5 M

From AB

*****
No one ever said that evolution is pretty. Take the best-of-breed BMW
M Division product: the E30 M3. Little more than a homologated race
car, the first generation M3 was potent, nimble, and with its small
displacement 2.3-liter inline-four fed by a retweaked M1 intake, it
was light, too. Long story short, the OG M3 remains an ideal
performance car.

Today, we have the X5 M. Looking at the bright blue truckish thing
parked in the driveway, it's difficult – if not impossible – to see
any sort of relation to BMW's vaunted and aforementioned M3 beyond
its badges. You can't imagine what the missing link between the two
might be. However, perhaps even mentioning the E30 M3 is being too
puritanical. After all, very few vehicles could compare – let alone
compete – with the street version of history's most winning road-race
car. And you can bet your Roundel subscription that BMW will never
competitively race an X5 M.

What then? It's not a newsflash, but the 2010 BMW X5 M doesn't remind
you of sporty BMW products of yore. Of course, going back almost 25
years and looking at the first M3 through 1986-eyes, you would notice
the hopped-up street car bears basically no resemblance whatsoever to
BMW's hottie 1961 product, the Isetta 600. For those of you not
up-to-date on your bubble car history, the Isetta 600 was a
stretched, four-seat version of the 297cc, one-cylinder Iso-derived
Isetta 300. The 600 featured a two-cylinder 0.6-liter moto engine and
semi-trailing arm rear independent suspension. Actually come to think
of it, the Isetta 600 and the E30 M3 at least shared a
rear-suspension design. The X5 M then, in terms of BMW's history, is
truly an alien from another world. A world where family haulers
thrash muscle cars for pinks. But does any of that matter? Are
companies not free to reinvent themselves, especially here in
America, where the X5 M is built? Perhaps most importantly, is the X5
M any good, let alone worthy of the vaunted M badge?

*****

Pictures below

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...69996#53369996

Old June 28th 10, 10:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Jun 28, 1:32*pm, (JLA)
wrote:
> From AB
>
> *****
> No one ever said that evolution is pretty. Take the best-of-breed BMW
> M Division product: the E30 M3. Little more than a homologated race
> car, the first generation M3 was potent, nimble, and with its small
> displacement 2.3-liter inline-four fed by a retweaked M1 intake, it
> was light, too. Long story short, the OG M3 remains an ideal
> performance car.
>
> Today, we have the X5 M. Looking at the bright blue truckish thing
> parked in the driveway, it's difficult if not impossible to see
> any sort of relation to BMW's vaunted and aforementioned M3 beyond
> its badges. You can't imagine what the missing link between the two
> might be. However, perhaps even mentioning the E30 M3 is being too
> puritanical. After all, very few vehicles could compare let alone
> compete with the street version of history's most winning road-race
> car. And you can bet your Roundel subscription that BMW will never
> competitively race an X5 M.
>
> What then? It's not a newsflash, but the 2010 BMW X5 M doesn't remind
> you of sporty BMW products of yore. Of course, going back almost 25
> years and looking at the first M3 through 1986-eyes, you would notice
> the hopped-up street car bears basically no resemblance whatsoever to
> BMW's hottie 1961 product, the Isetta 600. For those of you not
> up-to-date on your bubble car history, the Isetta 600 was a
> stretched, four-seat version of the 297cc, one-cylinder Iso-derived
> Isetta 300. The 600 featured a two-cylinder 0.6-liter moto engine and
> semi-trailing arm rear independent suspension. Actually come to think
> of it, the Isetta 600 and the E30 M3 at least shared a
> rear-suspension design. The X5 M then, in terms of BMW's history, is
> truly an alien from another world. A world where family haulers
> thrash muscle cars for pinks. But does any of that matter? Are
> companies not free to reinvent themselves, especially here in
> America, where the X5 M is built? Perhaps most importantly, is the X5
> M any good, let alone worthy of the vaunted M badge?

Ha, you need to get out of the dark age and join the 21st Century! The
X5M is designed to compete against its closest competitor the Porsche
Cayenne. With 550hp, the 2-ton BMW will run circles around just any
other SUV on the market!

The 2010 X5M and its sister X6M will sell out every single one made as
that is what Americans want today - Big V8 engine, automatic tranny
and power galore. Stop talking about the E30M3 and the Isetta. Forget
those has-beens and get yourself a 550hp family hauler. What's not to
like?....
Old June 29th 10, 02:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

bfd wrote:

>The 2010 X5M and its sister X6M will sell out every single one made as
>that is what Americans want today - Big V8 engine, automatic tranny
>and power galore. Stop talking about the E30M3 and the Isetta. Forget
>those has-beens and get yourself a 550hp family hauler. What's not to
>like?....

The fact that it's a pig?

I thought that "Americans" finally want to be more "green". I suppose
there's still those "I don't give a **** about anything but ME" folks
on the right. Need cheap oil? Drill baby drill! Or occupy some
country in the Mideast.

Old June 29th 10, 05:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

dizzy wrote:
> bfd wrote:
>
>> The 2010 X5M and its sister X6M will sell out every single one made as
>> that is what Americans want today - Big V8 engine, automatic tranny
>> and power galore. Stop talking about the E30M3 and the Isetta. Forget
>> those has-beens and get yourself a 550hp family hauler. What's not to
>> like?....

> The fact that it's a pig?
>
> I thought that "Americans" finally want to be more "green". I suppose
> there's still those "I don't give a **** about anything but ME" folks
> on the right. Need cheap oil? Drill baby drill! Or occupy some
> country in the Mideast.

I think you forgot to add the word "SOME" in all of your rather
offensive comments. keep the topic on cards and not 350m some odd people
Old June 29th 10, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> bfd wrote:
>
>>The 2010 X5M and its sister X6M will sell out every single one made as
>>that is what Americans want today - Big V8 engine, automatic tranny
>>and power galore. Stop talking about the E30M3 and the Isetta. Forget
>>those has-beens and get yourself a 550hp family hauler. What's not to
>>like?....

> The fact that it's a pig?

No it is a common [or garden] shed with a wheel on each corner...

To be slightly less uncharitable it is slightly better looking than previous
models, but whatever happened to the gorgeous lines of the E34 5 series?

Old June 29th 10, 07:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Jun 28, 6:23*pm, dizzy > wrote:
> bfd wrote:
> >The 2010 X5M and its sister X6M will sell out every single one made as
> >that is what Americans want today - Big V8 engine, automatic tranny
> >and power galore. Stop talking about the E30M3 and the Isetta. Forget
> >those has-beens and get yourself a 550hp family hauler. What's not to
> >like?....

> The fact that it's a pig?
>
> I thought that "Americans" finally want to be more "green". *I suppose
> there's still those "I don't give a **** about anything but ME" folks
> on the right. *Need cheap oil? *Drill baby drill! *Or occupy some
> country in the Mideast.

Hey, if the *British* Petroleum spill taught us anything its that we
are definitely not running out of oil. BP is trying to keep it secret,
doesn't want anyone to know how much oil is down there, but supposedly
2.5 MILLION gallons of oil is leaking out EACH DAY! There is no
shortage. Imagine if the spill never happened? It shows the oil
companies are falsely trying to make a shortage so they can keep
prices high. Supply and demand baby!

And what's the deal with "occupying" another country? If we going to
be "oppressors" and invade countries like Iraq, shouldn't we have
benefited by taking their oil? It is weak that we didn't and shows
someone got it first!
Old June 29th 10, 07:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Jun 29, 4:01*am, "R. Mark Clayton" >
wrote:
> "dizzy" > wrote in message

> > bfd wrote:

> >>The 2010 X5M and its sister X6M will sell out every single one made as
> >>that is what Americans want today - Big V8 engine, automatic tranny
> >>and power galore. Stop talking about the E30M3 and the Isetta. Forget
> >>those has-beens and get yourself a 550hp family hauler. What's not to
> >>like?....

> > The fact that it's a pig?

> No it is a common [or garden] shed with a wheel on each corner...

Have you driven an X5? I have and found it to be the best handling SUV
ever. Of course, I never driven a Porsche Cayenne so that may even be
better.

> To be slightly less uncharitable it is slightly better looking than previous
> models, but whatever happened to the gorgeous lines of the E34 5 series?

I still have an E34 535i, 5 spd, 125K miles. Needs a set of control
arm bushing, but drives great! Hmm, thanks for reminding me, I need to
get some synthetic oil and change the tranny and diff fluids. Good
Luck!

Old June 29th 10, 07:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DAS

Recently I learned that oil is pouring out in the Niger delta, but because
it isn't off the coast of the US nobody is shouting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...er-delta-shell

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=177014

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
[...]

Old June 30th 10, 03:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

r wrote:

>dizzy wrote:
>>
>> I thought that "Americans" finally want to be more "green". I suppose
>> there's still those "I don't give a **** about anything but ME" folks
>> on the right. Need cheap oil? Drill baby drill! Or occupy some
>> country in the Mideast.

> I think you forgot to add the word "SOME" in all of your rather
>offensive comments. keep the topic on cards and not 350m some odd people

SOME would buy a 5200 pound pig barge like the X6 to haul their asses
around.

I can't believe that BMW doesn't have something better to do with
their money than turn-out garbage like the X6.

Old June 30th 10, 05:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Jun 29, 7:54*pm, dizzy > wrote:
> r wrote:
> >dizzy wrote:

> >> I thought that "Americans" finally want to be more "green". *I suppose
> >> there's still those "I don't give a **** about anything but ME" folks
> >> on the right. *Need cheap oil? *Drill baby drill! *Or occupy some
> >> country in the Mideast.

> > *I think you forgot to add the word "SOME" in all of your rather
> >offensive comments. * keep the topic on cards and not 350m some odd people

> SOME would buy a 5200 pound pig barge like the X6 to haul their asses
> around.
>
> I can't believe that BMW doesn't have something better to do with
> their money than turn-out garbage like the X6.

Why not? People are paying $85-90K+ for one of these garbage barges!
If you're BMW, what's not to like?

PICS: DODGE - 2010 North American International Auto Show 007 Dodge 0 February 2nd 10 08:00 AM
PICS: The 2010 Dodge Challenger in DETONATOR YELLOW JLA Dodge 1 November 6th 09 09:16 PM
2010 Miata Facelift Pics Carbon Mazda 56 October 15th 08 03:43 AM
PICS: The 2010 Ford Mustang GT is COMING JLA Ford Mustang 1 September 12th 08 12:56 AM
Spy Pics of 2010 Boss 351 Mustang [email protected] Ford Mustang 9 August 18th 07 10:28 PM